small/medium hatchback - Kre

I'm looking for a fairly small car, mainly for city driving, but able to fit 2 children's bikes inside the boot, and good for very occasional long (4 or 5 hours) motorway drives. Will I find something? I can spend about 4500 pounds. Also how much mileage is too much? I have seen a 2008 Toyota Yaris 1.3, which I thought would be good, but has 70000 in mileage. I've been looking for less than 30000. Any advice welcome Thanks.

small/medium hatchback - RobJP

Very low mileage is as bad as very high mileage. If you're buying an 8 year old car, then far more important than mileage is condition and records of servicing, etc.

Would you actually get 2 bikes in the boot of a Yaris ?

small/medium hatchback - galileo

Very low mileage is as bad as very high mileage. If you're buying an 8 year old car, then far more important than mileage is condition and records of servicing, etc.

Not without folding the rear backrests and using the back seats (unless the bikes were toddler sized)

Not without folding the rear backrests and using the back seats (unless the bikes were toddler sized)

Thanks that is very helpful.

So do you know of any cars that could fit the bikes in the boot? What about Toyota Yaris Verso, or Renault Modus?

If the car is in good condition and servicing records seem ok, what would too low or too high mileage for an 8 year old car?

Thanks that is very helpful.

So do you know of any cars that could fit the bikes in the boot? What about Toyota Yaris Verso, or Renault Modus?

If the car is in good condition and servicing records seem ok, what would too low or too high mileage for an 8 year old car?

I assume that you need seats for two kids as well as their bikes so you need boot space to completely accommodate the bikes.

The key is how big the bikes are, if you lay a bike on its side, would a spread out Daily Telegraph cover it? If so, go look at cars with a Telegraph in hand and try it in the boots, should give an idea.

small/medium hatchback - Avant

Assuming that the children will be in the back seats, I think the Yaris will be too small for the bikes. The children will grow while you have thr car and the bikes will be replaced with bigger ones.

Have a look at a Skoda Fabia estate: go for a petrol one as most of your driving is in the city. A Nissan Note might also do, as the previous version (that you'll be looking at) is tall, and the bikes can go upright in the back.

A Toyota (Corolla) Verso would also be fine for children and bikes, but you said you wanted a 'fairly small' car. The smaller Yaris Verso wasn't popular in the UK (possibly due to its chronic ugliness) and wasn't on the market for very lon/g - so you might struggle to find one.

Edited by Avant on 22/01/2016 at 23:11

small/medium hatchback - daveyK_UK

You might get a Dacia Logan MCV for that kind of money.

It will still have some waranty left, fairly economical, excellent size boot, parts and insurance are cheap.

small/medium hatchback - Cyd

Why is 70k a problem on a 2008 car? What's wrong with th ecar and why is it mileage related. Or is it purely psycological? Personally I run a 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero saloon that has just turned 100k and I expect to keep it at least another 8-10 years.

Also why compromise your car buying for the temporary need to carry two small bikes? those toddlers will soon be needing bigger bikes that almost cartainly won't fit inside a car. there are plenty of bike carrying solutions available from accessory stores. I use roof bars and Thule Freeride carriers to carry 4 adult mountain bikes on my Saab. Even if I changed my car, I could keep my cycle carriers.

Still, you pays your money .......

Thanks again. Yes am realising that it is daft to insist on the capacity for bikes.

Can any car be fitted with bike carrier?

Very useful info on mileage - thanks. I had been advised to look for low mileage but that advice was from people who didn't know much more than me (and now probably know less) about cars.

Can anyone tell me the minimum engine size needed for occasional long (5 hour) motorway drives?

This will be the first car I own, by the way, as I just passed my test, rather late in life.

small/medium hatchback - alan1302

Can anyone tell me the minimum engine size needed for occasional long (5 hour) motorway drives?

Any car can do that. I've done Wakefield to Bognor Regis in a 15 year old 1.0 litre Corsa and it was a great drive.

small/medium hatchback - Avant

Something like the Fabia estate that I suggested will be able to get small kiddie bikes in the boot, but you'll be able to fit a bike rack later on.

Alternatively, get an estate with roof rails and you can fit a roof rack to take the bikes, again when the children are bigger.