Qulity 12v tyre pump recommendation? - meldrew

I like to keep a pump in the car as it is useful for checking pressure in ones own driveway and also for a get you home top up with a minor leak.

My old pump is 15 years old and will barely do 30 psi for my bicycle!

Can anyone recommend a quality make that will do modern tyres and maybe even 80psi on a bike?

TVMIA

Qulity 12v tyre pump recommendation? - gordonbennet

www.paddockspares.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Twin...r

I have the twin cylider model at the top of the page, which just happens to be price reduced at the moment, this will inflate a car tyre from flat in about 2 minutes, comes in a strong bag its about the size and weight of a decent ladies handbag when stuffed with their usual junk..:-)...if thats a bit big scroll down and they offer a single cyl version too, but the twin is only around £16 more and you qualify for free postage over £50.

Its one i would recommend, had mine years, it uses too much power for the usual cig lighter, its fitted with croc clips and is meant to clipped directly to the battery.

Many thanks for fast reply. Single cylinder would be OK but at those prices the twin is a no brainer.

Just need to find out where the battery is on Mrs M's car (!) for the croc clips. It also makes me wonder if I should source a spare wheel to go in the well under the boot floor. You can only go so far on a runflat on a dark wet night!

Many thanks.

I have a feeling, though RobJP will know for sure, that many Beemers have the battery in the boot, but there may well be a jumps start point under the bonnet permanently connected to the battery, that should be the case anyway and gives you more versatility, though the coiled pressure air line it comes with is ample length.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/01/2016 at 17:28

Qulity 12v tyre pump recommendation? - khcomp

I have one of these;

www.npautoparts.co.uk/car-maintenance-c2/air-compr...B

Very quick & powerful, PSI, Bar & kPa readings, very accurate, rugged & handy built in torch. Even comes with football & inflatable adapters. Highly recommended. Have had it for years, thoroughly abused it & it still works!

Qulity 12v tyre pump recommendation? - Cyd

I carry one of these

www.maplin.co.uk/p/heavy-duty-air-compressor-12v-1...u

It does the job nicely for occasional use, but only does car type valves, you'd need an adaptor if your bike is presta.

Qulity 12v tyre pump recommendation? - Galaxy

The Maplin one looks very similar to the one I bought in Lidl before Christmas. It was one of their special offer items, so they only had limited availability.

A couple of weeks after purchase the rocker on/off switch broke. I couldn't be bothered to take it back, and I would only have got a refund, anyway, so I just bought a new switch and changed it over. A very simple soldering job and it's been fine since.

The battery is in the boot for croc clips which is no problem. Have never needed to jump start but not been sure of the under bonnet connections either. At least I know what a battery looks like!

Have to say the Michelin looks promising as not sure I need the HD paddockspares one. Anything from Maplin you can usually buy for less elsewhere but I have found quality iffy there.

Horses for courses and as usual all the advice here is invaluable.

Qulity 12v tyre pump recommendation? - jc2

For occasional use,why not a FOOT pump?

Qulity 12v tyre pump recommendation? - Galaxy

You can't buy a decent quality footpump today, all the ones I've bought in recent years have just fallen apart.

That included a very expensive Michelin one, too. I thought I was buying the Rolls Royce of footpumps when I bought that one, but it fell apart after only 8 months.

So, now I've given up! You cannot buy a decent footpump today, they aren't made anymore.

The only way you may get a good one would be to buy a vintage footpump, a nice Sutty, Dunlop or Kismet. People seem to be doing a roaring trade with these online now; I'm not surprised, really, considering the crap you now buy in the shops.

Edited by Galaxy on 23/01/2016 at 14:09

Galaxy, there's an almightly rant about not supporting our industry who made quality products worth owning over the last 40 years instead of repeatedly buying plastic worthless tat lurking at the end of my fingertips, but i have feeling you're possibly already one of the converted so just imagine a lengthy rant..:-)

Qulity 12v tyre pump recommendation? - hardway

There usually a plastic cover under the bonnet with a fairly large + sign cast into the plastic,

thats the pos +

and of course engine steel/alloy is the negative/ground.

Qulity 12v tyre pump recommendation? - dimdip

You can't buy a decent quality footpump today, all the ones I've bought in recent years have just fallen apart.

Seem to remember HJ wrote that he uses one of those upright foot-stirrup type pumps normally intended for bicycles. I guess good quality ones of those can still be bought.

I've been lucky that my Halfords single-barrel footpump, which cost about £7, has been solid and reliable for the past ~5 years.

Edited by dimdip on 23/01/2016 at 22:02