BMW R80/7 - Importing bike - strickjumpers

Hello, I have here in Oman where I work an ex Royal Oman Police BMW R80/7, at some point the engine was replaced with a 750 cc unit consequently the numbers do not match. it is running but I have not tested and insured it for the road here owing to the crazy drivers and accident stats. (I have 3 young kids to think about!) My contract ends shortly and wondering about the UK value and whether it's worth shipping it home to sell. I have seen similar bikes and asking on Ebay crazy money 4-5 K, but feel sure this was never achieved. thought about adding an age related sidecar, how would this do the value? if I shipped it in bits could I assemble, register with age related plate or would it be a "q", any advice welcome, many thanks, Mike.

BMW R80/7 - Importing bike - craig-pd130

I'm not sure the /7 bikes are worth that much ... maybe about £3K for a decent UK registered bike.

If it's had an engine swap it'll be worth less, and police bikes often had the electrics fiddled with for the lights, siren, radio etc.

Sorry but I just don't think it's worth the hassle of shipping it.

Just to add, the current issue of Classic & Motorcycle Mechanics has an early 80s R100RT (with the full touring fairing, Krauser panniers etc) for £2,750 ... the airhead BMWs are undervalued as classics at the moment over here, as you get a LOT of bike for your money.

BMW R80/7 - Importing bike - strickjumpers

Thanks for the reply, forgot to mention I paid about 400 quid for the bike and would not achieve much more if offered for sale here in Oman.I can have it shipped to Heatrow free and under 100 pounds to have it couriered to my home i Scotland, starts to be worth bringing home to sell? Mike.

Thanks for the reply, forgot to mention I paid about 400 quid for the bike and would not achieve much more if offered for sale here in Oman.I can have it shipped to Heatrow free and under 100 pounds to have it couriered to my home i Scotland, starts to be worth bringing home to sell? Mike.

With those shipping costs, it's worth bringing home - all I'd say is, don't bank on selling it for big money ...