Doblo Berlingo or what else - replacing a van based car - Doblo2

Our 2003 1.9jtd Fiat doblo has now done 155500 miles. I want to replace it with something similar - it does between 45 and 60 mpg depending on circumstances. What's the best van like equivalent now for space, long life and economy. I want to spend less than 10k second hand low mileage.

Doblo Berlingo or what else - replacing a van based car - gordonbennet

Caddy or Kangoo, both available as Maxi stretched versions.

Doblo Berlingo or what else - replacing a van based car - daveyK_UK
The latest shape Kangoo was not sold in the UK for long, it got the cut when Renault reduced their product line.
The Kangoo also has the worst rear legroom.

The current shape and latest facelift (3rd facelift now) Citroen Berlingo multispace / Peugeot partner tepee is good , but the latest one includes an ad blue tank which is an extra expense.

For 10k you can easily get a nearby new 2nd face lift multispace / tepee in the 1.6 diesel, or considerably less in the 1.6 petrol.

There are precautions you can take with the 1.6 diesel to make it less problematic once out of warranty, if you remove the mesh from the turbos and you replace the turbo pipe at 3 years, the 1.6 diesel can hit 150k or 6 years of age without problems.
Inevitably it will need a DPF clean or replacement after 5 or so years.

The 1.6 diesel comes in 3 different power outputs, 75, 90 and 115.
You can hardly tell the difference between the 75 and 90.

The latest shape and Latest facelift (2nd) Fiat doblo is reliable but suffers from suspension problems. The 1.6 diesel and 2.0 diesels have proven reliable and I know of quite a few in van format that have gone beyond 100k trouble free.
Fist have put a light on the dashboard for when the DPF regens, this is helpful as it alerts you to keep on driving and ensure it doesn't get blocked.

The 1.4 petrol in the doblo is actually ok and seems to drive nicer than the diesel models.
You can easily pick up a pre reg doblo in petrol format for 10k, you may even get a new one if you can find a decent dealer who wants a deal for 10k.

One tip if you go for a doblo, insist on a full size spare wheel and cage.
If you don't order it when new, it's a £279 parts order from fiat and you have to order it against a fiat van as they don't officially offer it as an aftermarket option in the car versions despite all the holes and bolts being in place! Weird!

Ford do the tourneo connect in car version and it's really good in both 1.0 petrol and 1.5 diesel .
It's a bit more expensive than the doblo, Berlingo multispace and partner tepee but it drives nice and has good resale predictions.
You might get a year old one for under £10k.

VW do a caddy in car format and while it drives ok, I don't believe it comes in petrol format until this March.
It's also increadibly expensive and you will struggle to get one for under 10k unless it's 3 years old.
I have never understood why it's so expensive as it's not any better than the others in terms of space and functionality.

Dacia are rumoured to be bringing their van based MPV to the UK once they have set up a right hand drive assembly line at their factory in Morocco

I would also consider the fiat qubo/ Citroen nemo / Peugeot bipper tepee if you want to go small.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 18/01/2016 at 20:45

Doblo Berlingo or what else - replacing a van based car - Bromptonaut

Went down same route myself in late November, replacing a 2005/05 Berlingo 1.9D we'd had from new. Reason to change was stiff steering apparently only curable by few rounds of parts bingo.

If you need the size and must have sliding doors I'd say the current shape Berlingo partner, but before the blue Hdi engine which I think means MY2014 or earlier. Note the advice above about turbo filters but some say this applied to the 16v version whereas Berlingo's used the 8 valve 1.6HDI. The hisory/model usage of HDi 16 engines is complex though. It was too big for us and as we've got a 2013 model already we know my Mother cannot get in - seats too high an too far back in the car.

No useful experience of the Doblo.

Looked at Qubo/Bipper (Nemo Multispace was w/d from UK market c2010). Not all that common in the franchised dealer network. The Peugeot dealer found one for me to look at eventually but not until I'd bought something else. Looked at a Qubo on a Fiat forecourt but it was a sruffy and ill kempt example. Overall it's a bit small in back and most versions have rubber mats in place of carpets.

Ford B MAx is another smaller car with sliding doors but quite pricy.

Bought a Skoda Roomster in the ned.

Doblo Berlingo or what else - replacing a van based car - daveyK_UK

Fiat appear to have pre registered a batch of new face lift Doblos on 65 plates, some good bargains out there.