Ford Focus - How do these petrol engines compare? - graham123

Does anyone know what the difference in performance etc. is between the Ford Focus 2011- 1.6 ti-vct (105bhp) engine and the Ford Fiesta 2008- 1.4 94bhp engine? I know that the 1.6 in the Focus is variable cam but what about the 1.4 in the Fiesta? I own this version of the Focus and find that it can lack power especially on the hills!! Do you think that the 1.4 Fiesta is underpowered in the same way?

Thanks for answers :)

Ford Focus - How do these petrol engines compare? - jc2

You've got third gear for hills and 6,500 rpm-use them.Mine's a 1.2 Fiesta.

Edited by jc2 on 13/01/2016 at 14:14

Ford Focus - How do these petrol engines compare? - skidpan

You've got third gear for hills and 6,500 rpm-use them.Mine's a 1.2 Fiesta.

He probably is anyway if his clutch is smoking and slipping (see other thread).

Ford Focus - How do these petrol engines compare? - Avant

Once your Focus has had a new clutch fitted you may be surprised at the difference!

Normally the performance of a 1.6 Focus is adequate if not outstanding. 105 bhp isn't a great deal nowadays for this size of car.....and yet....my first car was a 14-year-old Austin Cambridge with all of 50 bhp which would sail up quite long steep hills in top (4th) gear.

Ford Focus - How do these petrol engines compare? - daveyjp
The downside of 16v engines is they need revs to make progress. Old style 8v engines have low down torque. My B class and my wife's A class have 1.5 8v engines with about 90 bhp, but the torque at low speed means a very relaxed drive.

Compare that to my 150bhp 16v Subaru and as soon as the revs dip below 2,000 a gear change is required.

Ford Focus - How do these petrol engines compare? - xtrailman

Forget the petrol engine, i recently had a Fiesta 1.5 diesel for a couple of days, what an impressive performer that car was, and it appeared to run on air not diesel.

Ford Focus - How do these petrol engines compare? - bazza

My parents had the 1.4 version of the Fiesta, whilst we have a 1.6 petrol Focus in the fleet. Both are adequate as Avant says. The Focus is actually a very pleasant drive, no ball of fire but it does the job and 40 mpg. I can't say I've found it short of power, although obviously one has to rev it more than say, our 1.9 tdi. But the upside is its a much more refined engine.