Subaru Forester - Car Alarm Problem - Microwave Sensor - Compost Corner

Got a new Forester XT - brilliant car in almost every way except the alarm goes off randomly for no apparant reason. Narrowed it down to the Microwave Sensor using the alarm status LED and started deleting the sensor using the keypad underneath the dash every time I switched the engine off. However, you can't expect to have to do this with a new car so contacted the dealer who told me the Microwave Sensor is affected by mobile phones and having a phone near the centre console while driving will play havoc with the sensor settings and possibly cause the alarm to trigger at 3am, as has happened a few times. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix - can the sensor be changed or, as a last resort, disconnected? A lot of modern cars have these sensors so the Forester can't be the only model affected.

Subaru Forester - Car Alarm Problem - Microwave Sensor - madf

It's new and under warranty.

Get the dealer to sort it.

Subaru Forester - Car Alarm Problem - Microwave Sensor - elekie&a/c doctor

Subaru used Sigma alarms for many years.Don't know if they still do ,but here is a link.Perhaps they can throw some light on your problem.www.scorpionauto.com/home/productsearch?search=sig...a

Subaru Forester - Car Alarm Problem - Microwave Sensor - dimdip

the dealer who told me the Microwave Sensor is affected by mobile phones and having a phone near the centre console while driving will play havoc with the sensor settings and possibly cause the alarm to trigger at 3am, as has happened a few times. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix - can the sensor be changed or, as a last resort, disconnected? A lot of modern cars have these sensors so the Forester can't be the only model affected.

It sounds like the dealer is trying to fob you off. As you say this would be a widely reported problem if it was caused simply by a mobile phone in the console. And then why trigger at 3 am? Would seem more likely a temperature effect. I'd agree with the advice to put it firmly back with the dealer to solve.

Oh, also

www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/36951/why-does-m...f-

Edited by dimdip on 09/01/2016 at 17:19

The microwave sensor wouldn't be triggered by a spider - it's not like the motion sensors that can be 'crawled over' but hidden under the centre console. It senses large mass movement - like a house alrm room sensor it won't go off with small mass but instead large mass - like a 16 stone burglar or car thief. Anyway, I swapped my mobile from my left pocket to my right pocket and the alarm hasn't been triggered since, so their must be something in the mobile-phone interference argument. However, it's not really a 'fix' and I can't always ask passengers to keep their phones away from the centre console so it'll need to get fixed in some way.

Subaru Forester - Car Alarm Problem - Microwave Sensor - jeric

I have a similar problem with my 2016 XE PREMIUM Forester. It seems to be related to low ambient temperature. I have counted 10 flashes on the LED which indicates a door sensor. Air vents and insects have been ruled out and I don't kep my mobile in the console. Dealer suggested a sticking sensor but couldn't cure it, then suggested my camera in the console. Have you sorted it out yet?

No - no solution as yet.

It stopped for a while then started again following a service. I've taken to disabling the microwave sensor using '5' on the keypad before turning off the ignition.

It's very annoying, especially when you return to the car to find the alarm has been triggered - everyone hates car alarms going off for no reason.

Hi

Dealer suggested a sticking sensor and asked to remove my satnav/camera from console.

Problem is worse at low temperatures. It is probably due to a faulty sensor. The LED flashes indicate one of the doors is at fault. Could be that the low temp causes the door to contract sufficient to break contact or simply a malfunction of the sensor at low temp.

I will put it back to the dealer but if you have any info I would be grateful for it!!

The 2016 Subaru XE Premium Forester undemanded alarm problem is trying to be sorted out by the dealer. However, does anybody know whether the tow-bar could influence the electrics, in particular the door handle sensors. The LED read-out suggests a door problem.

Subaru Forester - Car Alarm Problem - Microwave Sensor - SC001

I've had the same issue on my new from December 2016 XT. All was well for first 4 months, then a couple of instances in two weeks, followed by a really bad day with around 10 activations of the alarm. Booked it into the main dealer who sold me the car in May 2017. They immediately diagnosed the motion sensor needed changing (their words). Had it for about 5 days as they had to order the part, then kept it on the forecourt to test it. It's still re-ocuring however, about 4 times in last month. As another owner reported, it's both really annoying and embarrassing when out in public. My issue seems to occur when it's especially windy, presumably the wind is rocking the car and / or sudden changes in wind pressure. It can even go off in my garage! Not very impressed to be honest. It will be booked in again, without much hope based on first experience.

Car rebooked in to supplying main dealer. Regional technical manager will be present to investigate. Update to follow.....

Got my motion sensor changed at dealer but the alarm still activates occassionally for no reason - very annoying as it seems to like activating at 3am. Never had a problem with my old Outback - what have Subaru done?

Update following investigation by regional master technician who visited my locla main dealer at my request. Problem believed to be the dual stage / microwave alarm sensor located below centre armrest storage cubby. Sigma alarm diagnostics reported this as triggering 255 times! I was storing a few 'metallic' items in here eg keys, pocket binoculars etc. Master tehcnician reported other instances where metallic items in this storage cubby believed to trigger this particular sensor - causes sensor signal scramble. This sensor changed (second time) and metallic items removed. Does beg the question as to why locate an alarm sensor under a storage cubby! Will post updates to see if this has resolved it.

Subaru Forester - Car Alarm Problem - Microwave Sensor - elekie&a/c doctor
An option would be to have the microwave sensor disconnected,and have ultrasonic eyes installed instead.The Sigma alarm system is fully compatible with an u/sonic system.

Still having problems with alarm triggering - and it is always the microwave sensor causing it. I also heard about not storing change in the storage box as well and keeping my iPhone away from that area, however the phone USB charging point is in the storage box along with the 'phone tray' which has a handy coin tray. It really begs the question - what were Subaru thinking locating an ultra-sensitive alarm sensor right underneath a centre storage box that is bound to be full of all sorts of stuff that will cause it to trigger? I routinely press '5' on the keypad before switching off ignition now to disable the microwave alarm. This is a very annoying fault that would put me off buying another Subaru. Subaru UK need to find a 'fix' and instruct their dealers to sort the problem at the next scheduled service.

Subaru Forester - Car Alarm Problem - Microwave Sensor - YorkshireRob

Have really fancied a Subaru Forester XT for a couple of years, but this thread has really put me off! I guess there's no option to not set the alarm?

Cheers and good luck resolving it....

Edited by YorkshireRob on 11/01/2018 at 10:06

It's the internal movement sensor, so you can alarm the car but disable the sensor using the keypad under the dash - press 5 or 6 (can't remember) before switching off the engine. Useful if leaving car locked with dogs or kids inside / sunroof open for ventilation. The old Outback was easier - just press the keyfob before switch off. I'm sure Subaru will solve this - how hard can it be?

No more XTs being imported to UK because of CO2 legislation - shame because it's a really great car.

Subaru Forester - Car Alarm Problem - Microwave Sensor - 5uco

This is interesting.

At 2:50 PM today I just caught my '67 plate Forester XE Premium alarm going off for no apparent reason.

Leaving the keyfob in the house I checked all the doors, windows, tailgate and sunroof. They all appeared secure.

When I went indoors and fetched the keyfob the car gave 3 beeps as it unlocked. !!

Now, it has been to the dealership for this 'anomaly' and it has been ascribed to low batteries in the keyfob.

I have removed the 2 soft drinks cans that were in the centre consol holder !

See what happens now. Fairly apparent the 'low battery' idea is shot down.

What will happen now is Subaru might replace the sensot under warranty, but it might not solve the problem. Good luck - I miss my Forester but not its alarm.

Subaru Forester - Car Alarm Problem - Microwave Sensor - John Cann

Likewise I am pleased with my new Subaru Forrester but since delivery in September 2016 the alarm insists on sounding whilst parked in my drive. It has been back to the main dealer three times and each time I am told that the sensor fitted below the central armrest/ storage consul will be affected by anything metallic stored therein. I believe that as it is, the audible alarm which I am told is additional to the Subaru alarm, fitted on arrival in Uk is not fit for purpose. I am sure it is triggered by noise waves from traffic although my dealer technician I feel does not agree. As it stands I have agreed NOT to store currency, keys, or metal objects in the box and not use the drinks storage for tins, for the time being. I personally will endeavor to find a thick rubber compound or maybe carpet to insulate the base of the storage box as I would prefer not to go down the road of changing the sensor which I know is set off by traffic vibration which includes loud exaust notes and car doors shutting close by. i will then return the objects and continue monitoring.

I eventually removed everything from the central storage box and even moved my phone to my right hand pocket next to the door and away from the box. The alarm continued to activate periodically for no reason - would often return to car and get the 3-bleeps (?) on unlocking and every time it was the microwave sensor - the red LED on dash will tell you by blinking a certain number of time when you press starter button. This continued even after sensor was replaced by dealer. I 'solved' problem by always using keypad under dash to disable sensor before switching off - it's either '5' or'6' , tells you in alarm instructions. Problem with this was the flap with keypad (just at your right knee on RHD cars) became loose and started falling out randomly. Good luck.

Subaru Forester - Car Alarm Problem - Microwave Sensor - Delboy1951

So glad i found this forum, thought i was going mad. Got my XT in January 2017 and on and off the alarm has been a problem since I got it, loud basey sounds trigger it, ironically Impreza's with loud exhausts will set it off. That i can understand to some extent but when it goes off 9 times in a hour and a quarter when it is sitting on the drive with no loud sounds it makes my neighbours a bit ratty. For the third time it is with my local Subaru dealer today, so i will see what they come up with this afternoon, i have given them a diary with times of the alarm this time as they said they could not find any evidence of alarms last time. If they do not come up with a solution today I will escalate it to Subaru.

Subaru Forester - Car Alarm Problem - Microwave Sensor - jc2

My Daughter had a concern with her alarm(not on Subaru)-kept going off.Dealer couldn't fix and kept fobbing her off!Letter to CEO at head office got her a phone call day later from the dealer with a courtesy car to keep till concern sorted.

I've no longer got my XT - it was a great car, other than for the alarm issue. I really don't think Subaru know how to fix the problem. My alarm was replaced by them to no avail. Like I said, you can switch the microwave sensor off by using the keypad at your right knee before switching the engine off. The alarm instructions tell you the number to press - just one number, either 5 or 6 if I recall. You have to do this every time before turning off - there's no way of disabling it for good, unfortunately. On older Subarus all you had to do was press the keyfob before switching off, which was much easier. Hopefully Subaru will come up with a solution for this at some point. A Subaru tech told me the problem was with the placement of the sensor (directly under the central storage cubby) rather than the sensor itself being too sensitive. This would explain why there's no 'fix' yet, as it's a design fault rather than a technical one.

Just checked - it's '5' that you press on the keypad.

Also - try keeping phones away from the central console area and don't store anything 'hard' or metallic in the console like keys or loose change. That might help.

Also got rid of my XT after becoming fed up with it.

Alarm problem seemed to be resolved (see my previous posts in this thread) after second change of sensor below cubby storage in central console plus never storing anything in there post sensor change. This seems a very common problem now.

Air-con was next to pack up. Needed a new condensor as stone damage diagnosed. New part had to be ordered from Japan. Not covered by warranty. Seems poor design again, as with alarm sensor placement, if a vehicle sold as being designed for rough and tough terrain and with underguard fitted can be damaged so easily, 18 months into ownership. After much haggling with Subaru UK and main dealer got parts at cost price and reduced labour cost but this, plus alarm issues means it's gone, very disappointing experience with the brand and a shame, as to drive it was great. I won't be trying again. I see another owner had the same air-con issue (early failure + wait for parts & aggro over goodwill contribution) in HJ's weekly columns a coiple of weeks ago.

Subaru Forester - Car Alarm Problem - Microwave Sensor - YorkshireRob

After dithering for a while I finally purchased a used Forester XT in June this year (a 66 plate). Funnily enough the only trouble I've had so far has been the aircon...I noticed driving it home from the dealer it wasn't working at all. Phoned 'Dales Subaru' who couldn't have been more helpful to sort it. They were very apologetic, and drove over to my house to collect car (a 1 hr journey each way), left me a brand new Outback to use, then brought my car back later that afternoon. It had a new condenser and a re-gas. They just said 'no charge it's all under warranty.' Whether same situation if I'd had car 6 mths I don't know but obviously a weak point on these vehicles.

Alarm only gone off once when I accidentally left phone in car (not in cubby but was on back seat).