n/a - Dashcam - leave it in the car? - FP

Having bought a dashcam (a Nextbase 402G) I'm wondering whether all you good people who use these gadgets leave them in the car as a deterrent, or remove them, when leaving the car parked.

n/a - Dashcam - leave it in the car? - RichT54
I always remove mine.

I try to never leave anything of value on view. This habit was reinforced when a guy I used to work with told me how his side window was smashed in a multi-storey car park after he had accidentally left his mobile inside.
n/a - Dashcam - leave it in the car? - skidpan

I'm wondering whether all you good people who use these gadgets leave them in the car as a deterrent, or remove them, when leaving the car parked

If you left it in the car which was then broken into and the camera stolen the thief would surely have the memory card with the video of themselves breaking into the car.

What deterrent would that be?

My dear Skidpan, in the scenario you describe the dashcam would be no deterrent at all.

However, if the potential thief saw a dashcam, knowing that these things can switch on if movement is detected, he would have to be absolutely certain he would manage the break-in, since if he failed, or was interrupted (say, by a passer-by) he would know there would be evidence of his - failed - attempt.

Edited by FP on 05/01/2016 at 15:18

n/a - Dashcam - leave it in the car? - nailit

I have the Nextbase 101, and hopefully not sounding snobbish but as it only cost £44 inc. Memory, I leave it the car. Err yup sounds bad. But it was one of 2 reasons I chose it, the other was to have something small and unobtrusive. When you pay (was it near 200 quid?) more for high end it's similar to when people were having breakins for the satnavs. I think that isn't as frequently now as satnavs are 'built in'???

£125.95 incl. memory.

n/a - Dashcam - leave it in the car? - nailit

£130 Gordon Benn err OMG that's into price range of a very nice malt indeed.

Peter Marsh........joking not my real name. (see come dine with me) :-)

It was available at this price for a short while around Christmas and I bought it as a present for myself. It's now up to £146.95, but another Amazon seller has it for £118.95 without memory card.

n/a - Dashcam - leave it in the car? - Ben 10
I'd like to see this offered as an option when buying a new car. It could be built in somewhere unobtrusively.
n/a - Dashcam - leave it in the car? - S40 Man

Well I got one for £15 and another £4 for a memory card from local bp station. At that price its pretty much disposable I am more worried about the cost of a new side window really. It seems to work OK picture not great but should be OK if I saw our c was involved in a sung.

n/a - Dashcam - leave it in the car? - Smileyman

leave it in the car, it's behind the rear view mirror and not easy to be seen from outside ... you have to be looking for it to find it

n/a - Dashcam - leave it in the car? - bathtub tom

Plod told me that anything inside a car worth more than a couple of quid was worth breaking a window for.

I put my dashcam in the glovebox, out of sight, whenever I park up.

n/a - Dashcam - leave it in the car? - 1litregolfeater

Your dashcam is £10

A joint of beef at Tesco is £30

Anyway, I really take exception at all the female motorists following me when I'm out cycling... get a life?

n/a - Dashcam - leave it in the car? - DirtyDieselDogg

I bought a roadhawk,4 year ago, installed it behind the mirror, and it has been there ever since, quite unobtrusive.

Only unplugged when privately parked at home.

m