Honda CR-V 2.2 diesel 2005 - judder - HBV

The car has done 149,00 and returns around 50 mpg on a run provided I do not go much over 60mph. For the past few months it has developed a judder, initially at around 60mph, now at most speeds. I have had the drive shafts changed twice using re-conditioned ones, the prop shaft has been disconnected to check that the problem only relates to the front of the vehicle, the oil in the transfer box has been changed, the wheels re-balanced all round and new tyres fitted on front, but the car still has awful judder particularly when accelerating. My mechanic has looked at the engine mountings and visually these look OK, but not checked other than a visual inspection. The age and value of the car does not warrant new Honda drive shafts, but I would dearly like to fix the problem. Any suggestions please?

Honda CR-V 2.2 diesel 2005 - judder - gordonbennet

Is the bearing in the short extra inner drive shaft used on one side in good condition?

One of the aftermarket recon drive shafts my son and i fitted to his CRV started to fail recently and the slight judder returned, he's far too well paid now to be scrambling underneath :-) so his indy has just replaced that and it is better for it.

Discs and calipers in good conditon, in particular are the calipers free sliding?

If everything else is good and free and smooth could a failing DMF cause this i wonder? or could a so far undiscovered failing wheel bearing?

arn't tyres supposed to be more or less identical all round on these, however in theory you've eliminated that by running it without the rear prop attached.

Agree about the cost of genuine drive shafts, Honda are 'avin a larf.

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/01/2016 at 22:10

I discussed your points with my mechanic and deels it is still the drive shafts, and definately not the DMF. It judders when the car is steered more to the right. Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Honda CR-V 2.2 diesel 2005 - judder - mickburkesnr

I had a 2004 CR-V Petrol and when on full lock to the right the car would judder. The fix is to put the car up on a lift with the wheels dangling down, apply the accelerator pedal to get it to around 10 minutes, then drain the fluid. Something like that. Its on a service notice by Honda, and will require two bottles of transmission fluid. The problem being something to do with the clutches on the diffs?

My mechanic did replace the transmission fluid but I do not know the details. I assume you rev the engine for 10 minutes whilst the wheels are suspended in mid-air to get the oil really hot before draining and replacing?