Passat 1.6 DSG or 2.0L manual ? - Dorsetdave

I'm due to change my company car but only have a choice two models:

Passat 1.6 DSG Business

Passat 2.0L manual Business

I like the idea of driving the DSG as I tend to do a 50/50 mix of town and motorway driving, but am slightly concerned that it may be underpowered when loaded up with the family, or not have enough 'grunt' to overtake on A roads.

I'd be interested to have some feedback from anyone that currently drives the 2015 model.

Thanks

Passat 1.6 DSG or 2.0L manual ? - RobJP

HJ personally refuses to recommend ANY DSG gerbox'ed VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat, etc, due to the sheer number of problems that have occurred over the years.

Buying one - even as a company car and it only being kept while under warranty - would appear to be asking for trouble

Passat 1.6 DSG or 2.0L manual ? - 72 dudes

HJ personally refuses to recommend ANY DSG gerbox'ed VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat, etc, due to the sheer number of problems that have occurred over the years.

I know we trot this out as a standard response, but just what are the numbers? Most company cars are not purchased and any faults with the DSG would be sorted under warranty. And in any case, if the DSGs were so unreliable, you can be pretty sure they would have been taken off user-chooser lists years ago. Fleet management and leasing companies tend to know what's happening in the market.

In the OP's position, I would try and get a drive in both and then decide.

The Passat is a big car though, so I wouldn't expect the 1.6 to be a ball of fire, but the DSG would make the power delivery smooth.

The manual 2.0 would certainly be quicker, but the power delivery may be more peaky.

Passat 1.6 DSG or 2.0L manual ? - Wackyracer
"Buying one - even as a company car and it only being kept while under warranty - would appear to be asking for trouble"

Why? I would have thought it would be an ideal situation.
Passat 1.6 DSG or 2.0L manual ? - Avant

I had no complaints about the DSG in my last Octavia, except that it seemed to hold the car back from giving all its potential performance: there's none of that with the current manual Octavia (also a 2.0 petrol vRS).

The 1.6 TDI is adequate, but no ball of fire. I think a DSG-equipped 1.6 Passat would leave the skin firmly attached to the rice pudding. For me in your position it would be the 2.0 manual every time: I presume this is the 148 bhp engine which is a good one - lively, and quite quiet for a diesel.

Passat 1.6 DSG or 2.0L manual ? - gordonbennet

Much as i wouldn't entertain a DSG or similar box out of warranty, on a company car does it matter, if the markett suddenly woke up to their possible long term durabilities and it turned out in three years time you can't give them away its still not the company car driver's pigeon.

Can't comment on the engine choice, lots of other large cars now feature small engine capacities we'd have have recoiled from years ago and seem to be doing fine, as said test them both out.