VW Polo 59 Reg 1.2 Petrol 30,000 miles - Engine stalls/nearly stalls at idle when cold - Tornado15
I had a problem at the end of last winter when idling. When the engine is turned on the revs fluctuate from around 2500 to 200 rpm, sometimes it stalls sometimes it sorts itself after leaving the engine to warm up.m this happened about 3 times last winter but spring came and the problem went away.

Now the weather is cold again the same problem has returned. I have to leave the engine running for 3 mins before the revs go to normal. I have checked for a vacuum leak but I cannot see or feel any issues with the pipe. I have been running the fuel down to nearly 0 for the past 18 months so I am thinking I may need to replace the fuel filter?

Anyone heard of this before on a relatively new polo?

VW Polo 59 Reg 1.2 Petrol 30,000 miles - Engine stalls/nearly stalls at idle when cold - Big John

If worse in winter / cold damp weather then change the coil packs - especially if it's the 3 cylinder engine

Edited by Big John on 11/12/2015 at 23:02

VW Polo 59 Reg 1.2 Petrol 30,000 miles - Engine stalls/nearly stalls at idle when cold - elekie&a/c doctor

As this is a temperature related issue,I would be more inclined to think this may be an engine coolant temp sensor giving incorrect info to the engine control unit.