Brief Skoda Citigo test - Trilogy

When SWMBO's Saab was in for a service and MOT we were lent a Skoda Citigo. It was a 3 door with dairly basic spec, so suspect it was the 59 bhp version.

For:-

Reasonably nippy

Light, precise steering and gearchange

Quite refined, but...........see 'Against'

Most controls had that lovely VW quality feel

Tight turning circle

Plenty of stowage space

Had the feel of a larger car

Clearly laid out dashboard, instruments even included a small revcounter

Tailgate closed softly, lovely quality feel

Against:-

Very thick A-Pillars, enough to hide a Transit van when exitting a side road

Dashboard looked rather like a cliff face

Heated rear window switch, with warning light, masked by steering wheel

Choppy ride on uneven surfaces

...... a bit too much road noise for my liking along with..............

excessive wind noise, which I suspect emanated from the TV sized door mirrors

Doubt it did much more than 45 mpg

Sum up:-

If in the market for such a car, it would be on my shortlist

Brief Skoda Citigo test - Avant

Interesting - many thanks Trilogy. A Citigo / Up would be on our shortlist of we needed this sort of car: from what I've read the 74 bhp version is worth the extra.

We do really need a local runabolut, but SWMBO is devoted to her Mini Cooper Roadster, which has many virtues but costs a lot more and is less nippy, having an engine which needs to be revved to give of its best.

My elder daughter's Hyundai i10 is a lovely little car, and that would be on the shortlist as well. Again the more powerful engine is worth having.

Brief Skoda Citigo test - RickyBoy
Would that be the 1.2 87 petrol i10 Avant?

We're ((I'm) looking at the following to replace an almost 9-year old Polo 1.2:

Hyundai i10 Premium or Premium SE;
Hyundai i20 Premium Nav or Premium SE Nav;
Mazda 2 1.5 SE-L or SE-L Nav;
Alfa Mito 1.4 Distinctive;
Audi A1 1.0 TFSI SE.

Having enjoyed the faultless A3 for the past 15-months we both place the A1 at the top of our lists but I wonder if 1.0 will be capable? We certainly wouldn't want to go for the 1.4 as we already have one!

Both really love the look of the Alfa but... I sat in one yesterday but that was a Limited Edition release, something just below the QV variant. I liked it but it but all those embellishments would be wasted on Mrs RB!

I sat in the Mazda at the weekend. Much improved over the previous model, in looks and the spec seems quite generous, but is 1.5 too much?

Therefore, as the Audi will come at a premium price and the Alfa still can't shake off it's reliability/build reputation from eon's ago (certainly in my mind) I'm presuming that the Hyundai's would be most suitable and that competitive deals could be done on either variant, particularly at this time of year. You may recall that I quite enjoy the 'haggle battle when 'armed' with broker prices, etc.

Or, stick with the Polo (about to turn 50K) for another 12-months and pay the £130.00 RFL, put it through the MOT (hasn't failed one yet!) & next service (all due Jan 2016) and not give a second thought about where you park it - hospital (M-inL appts.)/supermarkets compounds?

Best,
RB

Brief Skoda Citigo test - ExA35Owner

We've recently gained a Citigo, with the bigger engine and stop-start. Agreed about the A-posts, but they are no worse than our Fiesta (and far better than my old Citroen C3). Otherwise view forward is excellent, lovely to park and reverse. Not much wind noise - I wonder if the mirrors on OP's car had a bit not quite clipped in place, as I had that trouble on another car.

Plenty of stowage in the cabin; boot is small (we have gone for a spare wheel and the variable floor, which do restrict things).

No regrets so far!

Hi RickyBoy - yes, Olivia's car is the 1.2. I'd always suggest going for the bigger engine where there's a choice, unless your mileage is low and local. That said, the new wave of torquey petrol turbos might be an exception, and it'll be worth test-driving the 1.0 in an A1 or a Polo.

What you really want from a small car is the quality of nippiness. The 1.2 i10 has it in spades; I haven't tried an i20 but I would imagine it's much the same, only bigger, and so maybe best with the 1.4 engine. I also haven't tried a Mito, although from what I've read it looks good on the outside but is disappointing to drive. You can only try one and see what you think.

The alternative, of course is to hang on to the Polo until it gets unreliable or too expensive to get through its MoT. Financially that's the best option, so it depends on whether you and SWMBO want a new car enough to afford one. If you do, for me it would be between the i10 and a VW Up/Citigo, or the A1/Polo if these are too small. (The Polo 1.2 TSI would be another good one to try.)

Brief Skoda Citigo test - daveyjp

We had the 1.2 i20 - after an Aygo it didn't come close to being nippy.

Also consider the Twingo/forfour with the 90bhp engine. They are very nippy.

Cheers for your comprehensive reply Avant and also ExA35Owner/daveyjp – appreciated.

I put the A1 spec into CarWow shortly after emailing the guy I dealt with last time at our local Audi dealership for his/their best price. It immediately bounced back a quote from MKAudi offering basically sod @ll off!

After lunch I received a call from the guy who informed me that I may well struggle to find an A1 SE to test drive, as, out of a batch of say 100, Audi would only probably make about 6 SE's as opposed to 60+ Sport and 30+ S-Line variants, so it would almost have to be a 'blind' factory order!

Mrs RB finds the new Polo a bit 'boxey', as do I. Neither of us are attracted to the Up looks-wise, despite the generally good reviews. Feel the same about the Citigo too I'm afraid. I guess the A1 is also edging towards 'boxey' too but the cabin, if anything like the A3 Sportback, should redeem it?

The Mito looks ace, but (reprise)... – I've possibly mentioned this before – I TWICE ordered a Mito brochure from the official Alfa website and received nothing at all. VW managed to send me a Polo one within 24-hrs. Speaks volumes I guess about German efficiency v Italian...

So, everything is suggesting that we take a proper good look at the Hyundai's but, I wonder, has anybody got first-hand experience of the New Mazda 2?

Brief Skoda Citigo test - oldroverboy.

Might I humbly suggest a kia rio 1.2, close relative to the hyundai i20, just posted my 10000 mile 1 year report.

Ultra Ultra pleased.

Friend has had the A! for a while, very very happy too. Another just bought a nother 108 pug after being happy for 5 years and gone for the same, cheap and cheerful. Neihbour just had an MG3 for a week while hers was in and considering it. I drove one last spring and liked it, very nippy! (and cheap and cheerful) and offering £2000 scrappage deal... Having driven it ( and if funds were a problem, price could influence me there.

Brief Skoda Citigo test - Leif
I have a VW Up. Wind noise is not something I notice. Are you sure the windows were closed? Even if they look closed, there can be a gap that lets in noise. Road noise is better than many cars, but could be better as you say. I got 60mpg over a year, I used to get 65mpg on a motorway commute. To do 45mpg you'd have to be doing lots of short journeys or have a heavy right foot.

The new Polo is nice, a bit ugly though.

The Hyundais look interesting.

Brief Skoda Citigo test - daveyK_UK
Had a Skosa Citigo on rental, I agree with most of the original posters comments.

The wind noise was bad.

When considering what small car to get, we removed the Citigo / mii / up from our list due to the number of expensive gearbox failures.

The package for the current shape Hyundai I10 is tremendous and the 1.0 engine has proven great and can knock out 105 if you push it.

The most impressive thing about the I10 is the refinement, feels like a more expensive car, hardly any wind or road noise, handles nice, 5 seats which is handy on the odd occasion, and the 5 year warranty is a clincher.

...The package for the current shape Hyundai I10 is tremendous... ...and the 5 year warranty is a clincher.

That's the conclusion we've arrived at daveyK_UK and I'm currently 'battering dealers down' for best price(s) as we speak!

Best,
RB

...oh, and can I just say... I find the range of advice, reassurance & suggestions made by you folk/available on this site re: such matters as intended car purchase, etc. absolutely invaluable and extremely useful. Similarly, the Car By Car Reviews are always heavily scrutinzed before I make any leap into the 'unknown'!

The Back Room is ALWAYS my starting-out point for hints/pointers on a wide-range of motoring 'issues' – consequently – long may this fraternity (ladies too of course) continue!

I'm not trying to win any 'brownie points' here or 1st prize in the annual HJ Christmas Raffle, it's just how it is...

Best for now,
RB

How odd, it is virtually the same car, and mine has no noticeable wind noise. It makes me wonder what is going on. A slightly open window, or poor/faulty seals perhaps.

Not sure why the gearbox is thought to be faulty, most are fine. There were some issues for a minority of owners, apparently they redesigned the gearbox, a year or so back I think. The VW Up owners forum is the place for information.

I will check out the i10 when I come to replace my car in a few years time. If the ride is quieter, and smoother, then it could be just the job.
Brief Skoda Citigo test - catsdad

Re the Mito. Looks the part but had a lift in one a while back and it was a very harsh ride. I was so disappointed because I wanted to like it.

Settled on the i10 1.2 87PS Premium 5-dr Petrol Manual in the end. Organised a 30-min unaccompanied test-drive on Sunday with Mrs RB at the wheel for the entire time and she really took to it.

That particular dealer (let's call him Dealer B) would only offer -6.25% on the day and said he couldn't possibly budge from it so I went back to Dealer A on Monday (whom I'd visited previously) and managed to achieve -10% after a good deal of 'to me, to you' negotiating!

This morning (Tuesday) when Dealer B possibly suspected that I was about to place an order with Dealer A he suddenly declared that he could get very close to the 'price that I was willing to pay'!

Too late matey. I paid my deposit to Dealer A on Monday. You should have 'positively engaged' with me on the day? Shame (and a missed opportunity) really as they had an example of the EXACT spec., colour & finish that we wanted right there in the showroom. If I have bought that one it would probably have been on the drive by Thursday.

As it is I'll probably have to wait around 10-days but am not worried by that. In fact it gives me time to buy the 50-rolls of Christmas wrapping paper now!

Will do a little write-up of how we're getting-on with it early in the New Year.

Best wishes to all for a very, merry festive season, etc.

RickyBoy

Brief Skoda Citigo test - alan1302
Will do a little write-up of how we're getting-on with it early in the New Year.

Will look forward to seeing how you find it. I have the older model i10 so keen to see what the new one is like.

The new shape i10 looks like a real car from the outside, and the inside looks decent too. The previous i10 looks like a Noddy car, a nice car apparently, but not as good.

Look forward to your impressions.

Brief Skoda Citigo test - alan1302

The new shape i10 looks like a real car from the outside, and the inside looks decent too. The previous i10 looks like a Noddy car, a nice car apparently, but not as good.

Look forward to your impressions.

A very nice car is the old i10 - never seen it as a noddy car though. That was the old bubble Micra! Although I do like smaller cars - always have done.

"Will do a little write-up of how we're getting-on with it early in the New Year."

Great choice RB, and thank you for your comments upthread. Glad we were able to help: the forum is of course open for all topics (within reason!) but arguably the most useful thing we do in the Motoring section is to share our experiences of our cars and advise on what to buy and what to avoid.