Cruise control. Good thing or not? - shoei
Is cruise control worth having on a new golf.
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - David Lacey
Yes, if you are doing plenty of motorway/A road journeys, it's something I'd look for.

MG-Rover Problems? forums.mg-rover.org
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - 547HEW
Definitely yes IMHO. Was approx £160 as an extra on my 2001MY TDi PD 115 PS, and I use it quite a lot. On the Golf there are foot rests either side of the clutch and accelerator pedal, which on motorways are very handy.

You can dip the clutch momentarily to switch off Cruise control, which avoids displaying brake lights if using the brake pedal to de-activate.

Very useful in 30, 40 and 50 mph speed limits.

I think it works down to lower than 20mph, which is lower than other makes I've driven.

Of course, you have to keep alert to use it safely.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Mark (RLBS)
I use it all the time;

1) Motorways
2) For rigidly sticking to a limit

And I deal with changes of speed using the hand controls rather than keep clicking it in and out.

Also, I *always* cancel it using the cancel button rather than dabbing the brakes - which is something that really irritates me when others insist on tuching their brakes to switch the CC off.
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - SjB {P}
My new V70 is my first car to have it.
Great device.
Made a rain drenched drive home, through speed camera ridden roadworks, almost a pleasure.
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - NWS
I'm in the 'no' camp here mainly because I found it an irritation on motorways where bunching means you're always adjusting your speed, but I hadn't thought of Mark's point that a proportion of pointless brake lights you see these days must be drivers cancelling CC.
I think it's an encouragement for drivers to be less engaged in judging the ever changing road conditions.
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - AWS
Had it on a ford probe once, never thought I would use it but proved to be very good on motorways and a great device for making a relaxed drive and keeping your speed down.

Only thing I noticed was if it has been activated for a while and you need to brake either your foot has gone to sleep or you cant find your brake pedal! - Scary

Also agree about altering your speed via the cruise controls used that lots too.
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Marcos{P}
I've had cruise on my past three mercs and I honestly don't think I could live without it. It also has a speet limiter device that won't allow you to go over a set speed ( whichever you set )also very handy.

Once you have it you will notice how much people change their speed on motorways.
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - 3500S
I have it and hardly use it. If it's an unfamiliar road and a camera sign pops up, I'll set it so I can concentrate on the road and not look for the yellow cash register.

The resume facility is handy but that's it.
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Chad.R
The resume facility is handy but that's it.

Resume is certainly handy if you want to test 0-60 times! - on both my Omega and BMW 5 series, both auto, pressing resume means that the car accelerates VERY hard up to the set limit. So I tend not to use this function - just cruise gently up to whatever speed and re-set the CC.

Chad.R
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Mike H
Both my cars have them. I use it a lot, my wife hardly at all. I love it, she hates it. Purely personal choice. If it's an inexpensive extra. or part of a package, go for it & try it.

This has come up a number of times before on this site, suggest you do a search & look back on previous comments.
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - terryb
Good thing, especially for long clear motorway journeys (I refer to on the Continent of course!). Had it on 2 XMs and the Jeep, wouldn't be without it now. You arrive with far less weary legs!
:o)
Terry
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Hairy Hat Man
Gets a definate yes from me (even paying £400 to have it on a new zafira). If everyone had, and used CC on mways, everything would run a lot smoother.
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Vin {P}
Mate of mine has a primera with the adaptive version, which won't let you get within 120 feet or something of the car in front,even to the extent of braking if the chap in front does. He says it's very hard to keep alert to what's going on, implying it's a step too far.

I use it on empty motorways and love it. Like Mark, I think it's important not to use the brake to disconnect it.

V
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Mark (RLBS)

one cautionery note, if you are not used to cruise control, then you need to be careful when you begin to use it.

Silly things can happen;

e.g you have the cruise set for 70mph, however you've accelerated a little and forgotten so that you are 75. Something in front means you want to slow down but you have time. You take your foot of the throttle and it doesn't slow down much because of the cc. A few seconds scrabbling becaue you are momentarily confused can be an issue.

SO whilst someone who is used to it may use it in traffic, I'd suggest that someone not used to it should be careful.

On another note, on my Landcruiser, Dodge and 4-Runner resuming the CC doesn't make them accelerate hard up to the set speed. All three of them accelerate gently, too gently if anything, and don't even kick-down unless their trying to accelerate up hill.
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Sparrow
I wouldn't be without CC now, especially on the Volvo V70 that had a strong accelerator spring. Trouble with the Volvo was no "coast" button, do you HAD to dab the brakes to disconnect it - or switch it off totally which lost the resume speed.
BMW much better - one tap of the button disconnects, another resumes. Thats all you need on many journeys.
BMW is a bit jerkier though.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Dynamic Dave
Trouble with the Volvo was no \"coast\" button, do you HAD to
dab the brakes to disconnect it - or switch it off totally
which lost the resume speed.

Ah Ha!! The mistery solved as to why so many Volvo drivers are forever flashing their brake lights but never actually appear to slow down when they do it.
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - volvod5_dude
There is a resume button and all the other gizmo's on my new V70s Cruise control, it's state of the art.

Cruise control is invaluable on those wonderful, practically empty French motorways, I wouldn't be without it. Over in the UK it's a different story, I hardly ever use it because driving here is crap.

VD5D.
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Steve S
Seldom use it in the UK driving on (M25,A12,A13,M20,A1 & M1)- reason congestion mainly. When I did it just irritated me because I seemed to forever have to adjust it because of the inconsistency in non cc traffic speed.

I have a speed limiter to help with non standard controlled speed areas like contraflows.

I do use it in France where the need for adjustment is less due to the lower volume of traffic.
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Terry W

Unless driving on almost empty motorways it is a waste of time as fairly constant speed correction is needed due to other traffic. There are +/- 1/2mph buttons - but one may as well ease or press your foot.

Personally - if it came free it would get used very occasionally, as a paid for extra - no way.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - RT

Unless driving on almost empty motorways it is a waste of time as fairly constant speed correction is needed due to other traffic. There are +/- 1/2mph buttons - but one may as well ease or press your foot.

Personally - if it came free it would get used very occasionally, as a paid for extra - no way.

Being retired I don't have to commute to work in peak periods - I use cruise control a lot on motorways that are far from empty, it's not difficult to dis-engage cruise for a few seconds to slow a little and then re-engage when appropriate.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Andrew-T

Who woke this thread up after 20 years ??

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - gordonbennet

Who woke this thread up after 20 years ??

Spammer as usual

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - FP

Ah - the good old "resurrect a twenty-year-old thread" trick to plant some spam, with a bit of illiteracy/mis-spelling/typo thrown in.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - bathtub tom

I'm sure the new mod will be on the case as soon as they wake up from their afternoon nap. ;>)

You'd hope they might have the nous to realise a place like this, inhabited by the type found in such places, would react rather differently to a plate of spam than what they imagined would be the case, ie if we took any notice at all it would be to ensure that on pain of death their company/operation would be the very last on earth ever to see a penny of our hard earned.

Sadly nous is in short supply at spam central.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - leaseman

Sorry Bathtub Tom. No snooze today......met up with pals that are just back from the Dominican Republic. A few pints and I am still awake and zapped the miscreant. Again... I must try harder....I must try harder. Cheers

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Xileno

And the prize for the longest-serving active member from this thread goes to.....

Mike H (registered 2002-05-08)

Later we will push this one back down to the depths of the forum where it was previously sleeping.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - barney100

I use it on the motorway or main roads with little traffic, needs care keeping your distance but all in all I like it.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - leaseman

Whilst this resurrected thread is still alive, I will be driving 300 miles one day in the next three and in a C5 Aircross with Adaptive Cruise, I will have it on all the time....wouldn't be without it!

I even set it to go to the Supermarket nowadays.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - mcb100
‘I even set it to go to the Supermarket nowadays.’

Same here. It’s on standby constantly and used around town.
Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Xileno

We can leave the thread running if people want to discuss it. It's an old subject that probably doesn't age.

I use it a lot in the truck, now and again in the car.

Annoyingly in most truck makes CC is typically default set eco-cruise or similar, as you approach the top of an incline the engine power will be cut the gearbox switch to neutral and the vehicle slow up by several mph staying in N coasting before gaining speed again going doen the other side, this for as long as possible or until either the box needs to engage again to prevent overspeed or if speed drops enough to trigger resume....several versions of fine tuning are possible, too much faff for me.

On many fleet trucks the driver cannot switch this off, so if its not convenient either selects Manual mode if that's permitted or uses the throttle pedal to override cruise...my last steed was able to disable this feature on the menu and always did, well, because i'm in control of the vehicle not some GPS equipped computer, sadly that one is at end of lease, on the new one it can't be disabled so i'll fight thing the other way.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Bilboman

The single most annoying thing about using CC is the irritating leapfroggers who enter the motorway, see my in my humble Auris and decide they have to be in front, no matter what. So I'm CC-ing at a steady 70 and they creep up at a very daring 75 and finally overtake, and almost immediately cut in and reduce their speed to 65, as the single-neurone driver in front not only sets his own speed, but decides how fast I am allowed to drive as well. I end up reducing my CC speed accordingly or else disconnect it, as this type of driver will always speed up rather than allow me to get past again, even if they have slumped down to 60 and it is quite reasonable of me to overtake.
It is probably as well that in-car harpoon devices remain the stuff of James Bond films.

The single most annoying thing about using CC is the irritating leapfroggers who enter the motorway, see my in my humble Auris and decide they have to be in front, no matter what. So I'm CC-ing at a steady 70 and they creep up at a very daring 75 and finally overtake, and almost immediately cut in and reduce their speed to 65, as the single-neurone driver in front not only sets his own speed, but decides how fast I am allowed to drive as well. I end up reducing my CC speed accordingly or else disconnect it, as this type of driver will always speed up rather than allow me to get past again, even if they have slumped down to 60 and it is quite reasonable of me to overtake.
It is probably as well that in-car harpoon devices remain the stuff of James Bond films.

I get that when I'm towing my caravan - set the cruise to 60 and gradually overtake the occasional car doing 55 who speeds up as I'm overtaking but having got ahead of me then slows down.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - John F

The single most annoying thing about using CC is ..........

.......the non-standardisation of operation. The stalk controls on my Audi work differently to those on Mrs F's Peugeot, which can occasionally result in fumbling and bad language.

PS I wonder how many of the original posters are still alive? Whatever happened to the loquacious 'dynamic dave'?

Edited by John F on 22/12/2023 at 09:46

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - badbusdriver

PS I wonder how many of the original posters are still alive? Whatever happened to the loquacious 'dynamic dave'?

Mike H rings bell, isn't that a current member?.

Personally, I'm intrigued by "Hairy Hat Man" though ;-)

Although I had some experience of CC before, it was only during my time at Stageocoach when most of our Volvo B10 coaches were replaced by CC equipped B7's that I became a proper fan. Absolutely loved it, and used it pretty much all the time, even doing as little as 30mph.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - movilogo

Interesting that 20 years later it is still a relevant topic.

Although, standard cruise control mostly replaced by Smart/Adaptive Cruise Control in newer cars.

It is one gizmo I use all the time whenever on motorways or dual carriageways.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Bromptonaut

Personally, I'm intrigued by "Hairy Hat Man" though ;-)

Hairy Hat Man was a character in Letterland illustrated alphabet books in the nineties.....

Somebody of an artistic bent drew all 26 on the windows at my kid's nursery.

A few were still there 15 years later after the building had been repurposed multiple times...

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Adampr

I don't think I would ever buy another car without cruise control. I don't spend much time in traffic, so I use it almost everywhere I go. If I could set it at 20 (where that's the limit) I would.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Engineer Andy

I don't think I would ever buy another car without cruise control. I don't spend much time in traffic, so I use it almost everywhere I go. If I could set it at 20 (where that's the limit) I would.

I suppose it depends a lot on what type of driving you do and when. When I drive down to visit my parents down the local dual carriageway then the A1, I could probably utilise it, but on my (previously) annual holiday from East Anglia to Cornwall, not so much, as I find that for large parts of the journey, even on the motorways (M25, M4, M5) and dualled+ sections of the A38/A30, there's often too much traffic or berks that would keep 'breaking' the cruise setting.

My sister, who used to travel all over the country for her job (mainly on motorways) up until about 5 years or so ago, wasn't enamoured with cruise control for similar reasons. Horses for course I suppose, but given a large proportion of newer cars have CC as standard these days, at least you have the option to use it.

Apologies if I've asked this before, but does CC use the brakes to slow the car all the time to avoid overspeed or as part of a minimum keep distance feature, or engine braking first to reduce brake wear and possibly fuel use?

I often suspect cars in front use the brakes, because they seem to go on/off so often (even when cars are a reasonable distance apart), which I believe contributes quite a lot (as well as wallies driving too close) towards unnecessary bunching and traffic jams. Is there a way to vary the 'keep distance apart' feature or to set just a reasonable minimum to avoid all that braking?

I suppose it depends a lot on what type of driving you do and when. When I drive down to visit my parents down the local dual carriageway then the A1, I could probably utilise it, but on my (previously) annual holiday from East Anglia to Cornwall, not so much, as I find that for large parts of the journey, even on the motorways (M25, M4, M5) and dualled+ sections of the A38/A30, there's often too much traffic or berks that would keep 'breaking' the cruise setting.

My sister, who used to travel all over the country for her job (mainly on motorways) up until about 5 years or so ago, wasn't enamoured with cruise control for similar reasons. Horses for course I suppose, but given a large proportion of newer cars have CC as standard these days, at least you have the option to use it.

Apologies if I've asked this before, but does CC use the brakes to slow the car all the time to avoid overspeed or as part of a minimum keep distance feature, or engine braking first to reduce brake wear and possibly fuel use?

I often suspect cars in front use the brakes, because they seem to go on/off so often (even when cars are a reasonable distance apart), which I believe contributes quite a lot (as well as wallies driving too close) towards unnecessary bunching and traffic jams. Is there a way to vary the 'keep distance apart' feature or to set just a reasonable minimum to avoid all that braking?

There's a difference between basic cruise control (CC) and adaptive cruise control (ACC) - it's only ACC that will brake to avoid overspeeds and slow down to keep distance from car in front.. Most modern cars have ACC.

I like CC but would have a car with ACC.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Engineer Andy

There's a difference between basic cruise control (CC) and adaptive cruise control (ACC) - it's only ACC that will brake to avoid overspeeds and slow down to keep distance from car in front.. Most modern cars have ACC.

Thanks - any reason why those systems don't just 'back off' on the gas pedal first? After all, that's what those of us without it (should) do.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Adampr

Thanks - any reason why those systems don't just 'back off' on the gas pedal first? After all, that's what those of us without it (should) do.

They do

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - FP

"Whatever happened to the loquacious 'dynamic dave'?"

I believe I'm correct in saying "Dynamic Dave" metamorphosed into "VxFan", a moderator on a certain other website.

Whether he posts here I somewhat doubt.

Cruise control. Good thing or not? - DavidGlos
Current car (Kuga PHEV, obviously with an auto ‘box) has ACC with ‘stop and go’ functionality. Works really well in slow moving traffic, such as motorway jams. Set at 20mph, it will follow the vehicle in front, accelerating, slowing and stopping as required. If stationary for more than about 5 seconds, you have to press ‘resume’ to move off again, but it does make for a less stressful time in heavy traffic.

The fact that even with a depleted battery the car will largely operate in EV mode at these speeds keeps things calm and quiet. Very different experience to previous diesel Golf with a manual ‘box. Clutch in. First gear. Second gear. Brake. Stop. Engine shuts off. Clutch in. Engine rattles into life. First gear. Stop. Engine shuts off. Repeat ad infinitum.
OLD THREAD-Cruise control. Good thing or not? - Ethan Edwards

Had ACC on the last few cars I've owned. Use it loads. What's impressed me with Vauxhalls latest version is it doesn't disengage when you get down to 10mph. Or so it stays on, bringing you to a halt then when the person in front moves off just give it some 'gas' and off you go. Every one I've had before simply bonged and told you to take back control.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 23/12/2023 at 09:44

OLD THREAD-Cruise control. Good thing or not? - leaseman

I drove 300 miles to Essex yesterday in remarkably light traffic for the festive holiday (left home at 07.30 and arrived 13.15 after a couple of comfort stops)

ACC on at all times and really did come into its own when an eejit swerved from lane 1 to2 forcing an HGV to take evasive action - the ACC reacted much quicker - probably 0.1 seconds or so - than my move to the left hand pedal (autobox). Could have been a no-show for Christmas!! Certainly ensured the second comfort stop!

If you've got it....Use it!