steering wheel not dead centre - Drivethru
Iv'e just had the front wheel alignment adjusted on my car and the steering wheel is a little bit off centre, not very much and I could live with it. I understand that this often happens and it's just a bit annoying, but is it ok and not a sign of the tracking or anything not been done correctly by mechanic.
I'm not too bothered about having it centered if not neccessary.

Any opinions welcome.
steering wheel not dead centre - Tony44
It often happens, but it shouldn't if they do the job properly!
I would take it back as it would drive me nuts.............

Tony
steering wheel not dead centre - No Do$h
That's just laziness on the part of the garage doing the tracking. No excuse for it. Take it back and ask that it is rectified.
steering wheel not dead centre - SjB {P}
Yes, it's laziness, and is usually caused by doing 100% of the adjustment on one track rod end, rather than 50% on each.

Saves the garage all of two minutes, but you have to live with it for a lot longer.

Definitely take it back.

steering wheel not dead centre - Keith S
I've said this loads of times. Sorry if I am boring anyone.

If the wheel alignment was incorrect, the tyres may have worn, even very very slightly.

When the wheel alignment is corrected the steering may still be crooked and the car may drift or pull to one side because of the wear on the tyres.

To prove this theory, simply swap tyres right to left and vice versa.

I agree with everyone else though that most places dont take the care required to centre the steering wheel. The tolerances involved are very small, and given that a lot of movement at the steering wheel translates to less at the roadwheels, the effect of incorrect toe is multiplied at the steering wheel.

Take the car to have a full 4 wheel alignment next time all 4 tyres are replaced and everything should be fine (if the suspension etc is OK.)
steering wheel not dead centre - Cliff Pope
I don't agree that the tolerances are small, so excusing the misaligned steering wheel. Try putting your hand in through the window and moving the steering wheel about 3" and the movement in the road wheel is perfectly obvious.
I have just reset mine, which was out by about 1 hour if you see what I mean, the spokes were at 10 to instead of quarter to. It took half a turn of each track rod. Track-setting machines are more accurate than that!
I don't agree that the tolerances are small, so excusing the
misaligned steering wheel. Try putting your hand in through the window
and moving the steering wheel about 3" and the movement in
the road wheel is perfectly obvious.
I have just reset mine, which was out by about 1
hour if you see what I mean, the spokes were at
10 to instead of quarter to. It took half a turn
of each track rod. Track-setting machines are more accurate than that!

The tolerances are very small. 5 seconds tolerance translates to 0.33mm at the track rod end. But 0.33mm at the track rod must be multipled at the steering wheel.
steering wheel not dead centre - Andrew-T
Those two minutes cost you two quid at an expensive place (if they charge that precisely)!
steering wheel not dead centre - Drivethru
Thanks for all your replies, I took the car back and they've reset it and it's now much better, it took them a couple of goes to get it right but I think it was worth it to have the wheel straight.
steering wheel not dead centre - googolplex
I took my cavalier in to be done and they had three goes at getting the steering wheel right saying (where have I heard this before?!) that my make of car is particularly difficult to adjust in this respect...
I gave up in the end and it has driven "skewed" for about 12 months now.
Splodgeface
steering wheel not dead centre - Blue {P}
Had exactly the same problem after having the tracking adjusted at a fairly well known national chain, (not kwik-fit believe it or not!), after 3 further visits it still wasn't straight so I took it to RapidFit and they fixed it for nowt. :)
Blue
steering wheel not dead centre - Mike M
I remember watching my garage checking the tracking on my Rover 216. They put a pin through a hole in the steering rack which held the rack in the straight-ahead position, then adjusted both track rod ends to get the tracking right. Afterwards, the position of the steering wheel was unchanged in its dead-ahead position. Is this alignment hole a standard feature of a steering rack?
Mike
I don't know if this alignment pin is standard but it sounds like a real good idea.

Most places seeem to guess the straight ahead position of the wheel, looking from the outside, where it must be very difficult to set the wheel accurately.

I suppose that is why most steering wheels are now mounted on a hexagon nut rather than splines, to ensure the rack is centralised.