ROVER 75 1800 PETROL - HELP...ROVER 75 ENGINE NOT AS ADVERTISED - BGflyer

Hi, my treasured Rover 75 blew her CH gasket and literally frazzled her engine so I thought I might as well get another from a scrapyard.

Found one allegedly from a 35,000 mile car...to be supplied with NEW CH gasket, pressure tested, new water pump and belts, 2 month warranty.

Bought it and had it shipped to Bulgaria where I live. Got it put in and having checked liquids every day was shocked to find increasing amounts of clag in the header tank.

I assumed this may have been in the system from the previous disaster, but as the days went by it did not clear.

I flagged it up to the supplier immediately and several e-mails passed between us.

I had exploratory work done to establish the cause of the problem and all pointed to CH gasket problems.

I told the supplier and was offered a new gasket and stretch bolts but they have refused to pay the £317 cost of having the work done.

Anyone know how to force them to pay up since this engine was not as advertised...in fact when I first saw it I saw no evidence of traces left by work being done on it'

Cheers,

John

ROVER 75 1800 PETROL - HELP...ROVER 75 ENGINE NOT AS ADVERTISED - Bolt

I would be surprised if they did pay up, scrap yards only usually give a small warranty if your lucky.

if the secondhand engine was in good condition Why did they need to s/f new gasket? this engine is prone to h/g failure and scrap yards were full of these cars years ago for that reason

I would suggest if you like that motor, as a mate of mine does, try and get the diesel, its far more reliable and is bullet proof,

imo, you are going to find it very difficult to find a good petrol unit

ROVER 75 1800 PETROL - HELP...ROVER 75 ENGINE NOT AS ADVERTISED - NARU

I remember having much the same happen to me 30 years ago (not this particular engine, of course).

I even hired a van to take the engine back, but when I got to the address there was no sign of the supplier.

In the end, I bought a rough but running model of the car, and swapped the engine over - it came with a couple of weeks of MOT, so I was able to test the replacement engine properly.

ROVER 75 1800 PETROL - HELP...ROVER 75 ENGINE NOT AS ADVERTISED - Big John

I am afraid the 1800 engine is notorious for head gasket failure and subsequent warping. The engine was designed to have a low water capacity to speed the warming up process (saves a thimble of fuel!). A version of this engine was also fitted to the MG TF that had similar problems - I believe owners of these have since made cooling system modifications to improve the water capacity of the system and improve reliability

When repairing the head gasket you need to ensure the engine is not damaged/warped otherwise it will fail again. You also have to bleed the cooling system very carefully to avoid having ANY air in the system - this is improtant otherwise you will cause the failure of a perfectly good engine

When you do manage to get the engine running reliably change the coolant every 2 years being careful to bleed air out of the system. One tequnique is to set up a temporary large water container into the system (small hose from header tank attached to a pipe fed from a tap on a camping water container) and slowly drain and fill the system at the same time flushing through new coolant. This uses more coolant so is more expensive but does not introduce air into the system if done correctly

The Rover 75 was a great car but not with the 1800. Most 1800 versions of it are no longer running but you see pleanty of the great diesel (BMW engine) and V6 petrol still on the road

Thanks guys...I'll do my best and let you know what happens!!

John

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 23/11/2015 at 23:00