Toyota Corolla Verso 2005 - Oil Loss - Toyota Corolla Verrso

I have a Quechan for you all can you help with this please.

We have a Toyota Corolla Verrso 2005 automatic 1.8cc vvti t3 s-a petrol. 7 seater.

It has 97k on the clock & runs very very well with no sign of oil leaks anywhere. No smoking, heating head gasket looks fine. No blue smoke.

Me & the garage are at a loss.

In 10 days over 310 miles have lost half litre of oil. This is on going, Can you help us please.

Mark

Toyota Corolla Verso 2005 - Oil Loss - Bolt

How do you know theres no blue smoke, its not always seen from drivers position ie its possible your getting puffs as you change gear(caused by valve seals/guides)

some manufacturers give a loss of 1 litre per 1k miles as normal, though I think its too much for your car and 97k is not a lot of miles for it, I have seen the 1.8 avensis burn oil but not sure if its the same engine?

but if no signs of leaks I would look at smoke from exhaust before anything else!

Toyota Corolla Verso 2005 - Oil Loss - Peter.N.

If its not leaking it must be burning it. A relatively small ammount of blue smoke wont show up in a high gas flow rate when you are pushing it hard but I expect the car behind will smell it.

Toyota Corolla Verso 2005 - Oil Loss - Bolt

You could get someone to follow you for a while to see if any is coming out,but its possible it may be an intermittent thing, ie only occurs at certain times

Toyota Corolla Verso 2005 - Oil Loss - madf

This model is well known for piston ring wear . There were foc rebuild engines..

The oil consumption issues affecting 1zz 1.8, 3zz 1.6 & 4zz 1.4 engines is caused by a combination of several issues, leading Toyota to make several changes to the engines up to around mid 2005 where they managed to cure the issues,

1. Insufficient oil capacity, pre 2005 engines only came with 3.7 litres of oil, this caused the oil to remain very hot all the time reducing the cooling affect the oil has on the back of the pistons. The continued high oil temps causes the oil to degrade and sludge excessively between service oil changes.

Toyota increased the oil capacity from 3.7 to 4.7 litres reducing the oil temps in the engine. ( EDIT On post 2005 cars Toyota increased oil capacity to 4.2 litres, On pre 2005 cars which had the official modifications carried out due to excessive oil consumption the oil capacity was raised to 4.7litres except for MR2's which stayed at 3.7litres due to the compact / shallow sump fitted to them )

2. Poor piston design, the rear of the piston only had 4 oil ways allowing the hot oil coming from the piston ring oil scrapers to pass away from the piston rings. This meant that the oil stayed at the hottest part of the piston crown for too long exacerbating issue # 1 which in turn allowed the oil ways to sludge up. Once sludging started the oil would eventually start to burn and harden around the rings this started to wear away at the bores eventually misshaping them. Due to the Nikosil coating applied to the bores they should not be rebored or honed meaning Toyota replaced any block showing even the slightest of damage.

Toyota redesigned the pistons to include 8 oil ways which allowed the oil to pass away quicker.

3. The use of poor quality or overly thick oils (thicker than 5w30) increased the likely hood of the issues above occurring. Toyota noted that even dealers where using oils such as 10w40 and quickly pointed out that although the owners manual listed 10w40 it was for warmer climates and that 5w30 was the preferred grade and insisted that dealers use 5w30 when servicing and repairing #zz engines.

4. Poor piston ring design, In an attempt to reduce friction, increase efficiency and lower emissions the engine designers profiled the piston rings to a sharp point reducing the contact point on the bore, this on its own only increased oil consumption slightly but when combined with issues 1,2 & 3 caused the piston rings not scrape the overly thick oils effectively.

New piston rings where designed with a larger contact area and higher ring tension.

Initially Toyota fitted new blocks along with modified pistons, rings, thermostat ( to lower engine running temp ) and a modified dipstick ( to show the new 4.7litre levels) they also recovered the old blocks eventually leading to them switching the approved repair method to remanufactured short blocks fully assembled with the modified parts.

Cheers

www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/138146-what-.../

Your garage must be unfamiliar with Toyota engines. It was well known at the time. Even I know and I've never owned a 1.8VVTI engined car.

Edited by madf on 21/11/2015 at 11:46