Vauxhall insignia 1.6 cdti - Good to go? - TopScot

Morning I really like the Vauxhall insignia but up in till now it's not a taxi I would have considerd due to the utterly unreliable 2L diesel.

Is the 1.6 likely to be more reliable?

Thanks

Vauxhall insignia 1.6 cdti - Good to go? - Peter.N.

Dont know that engine but the most reliable engines are the Citroen/Peugeot Hdi's especially the early ones.

Vauxhall insignia 1.6 cdti - Good to go? - TopScot

Just my opinion but I think the hyundai/kia units are better and chain cam too!

Vauxhall insignia 1.6 cdti - Good to go? - Wackyracer

Just my opinion but I think the hyundai/kia units are better and chain cam too!

My personal preference is always a timing belt rather than a chain. Timing chains made of putty and extended oil changes are not a good mix.

Changing a timing belt is around half the labour cost of changing a chain (and a chain will stretch unless you change the oil at sensible intervals)

Vauxhall insignia 1.6 cdti - Good to go? - gordonbennet

My personal preference is always a timing belt rather than a chain. Timing chains made of putty and extended oil changes are not a good mix.

Changing a timing belt is around half the labour cost of changing a chain (and a chain will stretch unless you change the oil at sensible intervals)

And i agree with you, the only exceptions are on proper old school 6+ cyl Mercs and the like where the chain is duplex and of serious and expensive enough construction to last the life of the engine.

What beats me about modern car design is (with honourable exceptions) how ongoing long term maintenance likely to occur after warranty or the all important 3 year typical lease period, is completely ignored, so jobs such as cambelts (and EGR valves eh VW?) are a ruinously expensive task instead of the simple one hour job it is on a 4 pot Landcruiser, all cars should be like that.

anyway, whats the idea of driving the water pump off a cambelt, its an idiotic idea and bound to be troublesome.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/11/2015 at 20:40

simple one hour job it is on a 4 pot Landcruiser, all cars should be like that.

There is only one stupid thing that Toyota did regarding timing belts, that was the timing belt light system where you had to take the intrument cluster out to reset it by moving a screw in the back of the cluster - rather a stupid idea!

anyway, whats the idea of driving the water pump off a cambelt, its an idiotic idea and bound to be troublesome.

I've changed quite a few (noisy/leaking) waterpumps on cars with timing belts. I've only ever known of one that seized and snapped the belt. That was pure ignorance of the owner who knew for months that the pump was leaking but, decided it was OK to just keep topping up the coolant reservoir with water. Although I won't go into details it broke just at the right time to be a form of poetic justice.

There is only one stupid thing that Toyota did regarding timing belts, that was the timing belt light system where you had to take the intrument cluster out to reset it by moving a screw in the back of the cluster - rather a stupid idea!

Well yes, but it might stop the chancer who, if it was a sequence of button presses on the dash, might put the light out and flog the motor on.

To be fair it's only a 10 minute job to fetch the dash out on the LC, had to replace the bulb in the D segment of the auto box display which being the one thats on continually had blown.

Well yes, but it might stop the chancer who, if it was a sequence of button presses on the dash, might put the light out and flog the motor on.

To be fair it's only a 10 minute job to fetch the dash out on the LC, had to replace the bulb in the D segment of the auto box display which being the one thats on continually had blown.

When I had my Toyota, I had to change the bulbs for the auto box display too. I found that those little 5mm capless bulbs are exactly the same as fruit machine bulbs except fruit machine bulbs are a fraction of the price car shops charge.

When I had my Toyota, I had to change the bulbs for the auto box display too. I found that those little 5mm capless bulbs are exactly the same as fruit machine bulbs except fruit machine bulbs are a fraction of the price car shops charge.

Thanks, consults internet to find said fruit machine bulbs, unless my virtual mate Wackyracer points me in the right direction?

Couldn't find the right bulb without a trip to the Toyota** shop so swapped the good one out of L in to the D.

**Have to visit the Northampton Toyota dealer (no longer Sims) anonymously now, once they get hold of your phone number the service dept bombards you with requests/reminders of work they want to carry out on your vehicle, helpful but a tad overzealous IMHO.

Thanks, consults internet to find said fruit machine bulbs, unless my virtual mate Wackyracer points me in the right direction?

Couldn't find the right bulb without a trip to the Toyota** shop so swapped the good one out of L in to the D.

**Have to visit the Northampton Toyota dealer (no longer Sims) anonymously now, once they get hold of your phone number the service dept bombards you with requests/reminders of work they want to carry out on your vehicle, helpful but a tad overzealous IMHO.

these? Although they seem to be a bit more costly than when I bought some.

Yes I know what you mean about companies bombarding you with emails and texts.

these? Although they seem to be a bit more costly than when I bought some.

Much obliged to me learned friend, they look like the kiddies, also look like the tiny bulbs that Merc fit in the dash switches, one or two of which of mine are on the blink.

I love t'internet. thankyou.

Cheaper here as car bulbs it seems! Mind you, it probably was some years ago when I bought the big bag of the fruit machine bulbs.

Cheaper here as car bulbs it seems! Mind you, it probably was some years ago when I bought the big bag of the fruit machine bulbs.

Thanks WR, however i've been racking whats left of me mind trying to recall those bulbs in the tell tales on the dash, i'm 90% certain they are a smaller than those and now i come to think of it not absolutely sure that they are standard push in capless either, they are really tiny, i thought the ones for the Merc switches were the same but now i remember trying one and even they were too big, reckon its going to be main dealer only.

Naturally i took the blown one out and put it somewhere safe so i'd have a pattern, you know the rest of that sentence don't you, where's the face palm smiley..

Vauxhall insignia 1.6 cdti - Good to go? - John F

Neither idiotic nor troublesome if a good design.

In the old Audi V6 s only a small area of the pump pulley was driven by the non-toothed side of the belt, so even if an insensitive owner ignored a water pump problem it would still take a lot to fry the belt. I have never been able to find any such problems on all the Audi forums - and I had one from 4 to 15yrs old; >130,000m on the original belt which, like chain(s), should last the life of the engine.

Vauxhall insignia 1.6 cdti - Good to go? - RT

Neither idiotic nor troublesome if a good design.

In the old Audi V6 s only a small area of the pump pulley was driven by the non-toothed side of the belt, so even if an insensitive owner ignored a water pump problem it would still take a lot to fry the belt. I have never been able to find any such problems on all the Audi forums - and I had one from 4 to 15yrs old; >130,000m on the original belt which, like chain(s), should last the life of the engine.

The usual issue, across all brands that drive the water pump from the cambelt is that the belt loses tension WHEN the pump bearings eventually fail - with tension lost the belt jumps teeth until the inevitable happens.

Can be avoided by changing the pump every time the belt is changed but that's extra cost.

Much rather the system on Landcruiser, cambelt drives the cams and thats it, water pump is driven by two auxilliary poly V belts which then drive other components, a third belt drives power steering IIRC without going out in the dark and looking.

www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/

Doesn't matter what fails bar the cambelt tensioner itself.

Vauxhall insignia 1.6 cdti - Good to go? - slkfanboy

I think the engines still orginate from the Vauxhall/Fiat alliance which produce they very disopointing 2L engines the OP commented on.

Too soon ctdi are any better, but cant be worse for sure. As above plus Mondeo.

Vauxhall insignia 1.6 cdti - Good to go? - RT

They're still recognisable as originating from the JTD but they have been redeveloped a couple of times by GM

Vauxhall insignia 1.6 cdti - Good to go? - focussed

"Originating from Fiat and redeveloped a couple of times by GM"

Hmm- an unfortunate pedigree.

Vauxhall insignia 1.6 cdti - Good to go? - Wolfan

"Originating from Fiat and redeveloped a couple of times by GM"

Hmm- an unfortunate pedigree.

This sort of silly post usually comes from the blinkered mind of a Ford owner, the I.D. of this poster confirms my suspicions.

Vauxhall insignia 1.6 cdti - Good to go? - daveyK_UK

So far the new GM 1.6 has proven to be powerful and reliable.

however, it has only been in the astra for around a year so its still early days.