1.6 Kia C'eed 2010 - Kia C'eed advice - Ema192
Hi I bought a Kia C'eed 1.6 in July this year with full service history. The engine light came on on Sunday so took it to garage Monday but it initially struggled to start then kept cutting out at low revs. It started up ok each time but then stopped and wouldn't start. It's at Kia garage now and they are saying the timing chain has jumped but can't be done under warranty as the invoice for the last service(done in June this year at 50k miles) is missing. I spoke to the garage who did the service and they found the invoice but it's for labour only as the customer provided the parts. They suggested the Kia garage look at the parts (oil filter etc) to confirm they used genuine Kia parts and they were confident they used the correct oil as they said there's only one type of oil that can be used. They also said a problem would have been apparent before now if the wrong oil had been used (it's now on 56k miles)??

Thanks!
1.6 Kia C'eed 2010 - Kia C'eed advice - Railroad.

I doubt you'll have a manufacturer's warranty for two reasons. Firstly you didn't buy the car from new, and secondly it's five years old.

Did you buy the car from a private seller or from a dealer? If you bought privately you're unlikely to have any comeback, and you will have to take this on the chin.

If you bought from a dealer, and even if you didn't take out a warranty when you bought it, I would think you may still have a case under the sale of goods act. The law has recently changed to give buyers more protection. In the first instance you should go to the dealer you bought from and see what they saysince you bought the car less than six months ago. If they refuse point blank I'd book an appointment with the citizens advice bureau. Make sure you know your legal rights. You may be lucky, but act fast and do not delay.

Thanks for this. It's meant to have a 7 year warranty and according to the Kia website is transferred with the car if sold on within 7 years or 100k miles.
1.6 Kia C'eed 2010 - Kia C'eed advice - RobJP

The first 3 years of the warranty apply wherever you have it serviced.

I may be wrong on this next bit. If so, then I will be happy to be corrected...

After that, it falls out of european legislation, and Kia have the right to insist that the servicing is carried out at Kia garages for the warranty to be valid. Independent garage = no warranty.

As said, I may be mistaken. But I don't think so.

1.6 Kia C'eed 2010 - Kia C'eed advice - skidpan

The Kia warranty is for 7 years or 100,000 miles and covers everything except wear and tear items.

Here is a link to the T & C's

www.kia.co.uk/owners/warranty/warranty%20terms%20a...x

It clearly says in the warranty book that the customer must retain all reecipts for parts and labour for service work, without them no warranty. That applies to independant or dealer servicing.

Kia allow Independant servicing for the whole 7 years provided it done exactly to the schedule with OEM materials and the correct lubes etc. But there is a catch, any savings you make will be lost when the car has to go to a Kia dealer every year for the body inspection. Its free with a service but take it along after servicing elsewhere and they charge, up to £50.

So basically the OP has no receipts so no warranty. Its in the service book and T & C's so no point persuing it.

1.6 Kia C'eed 2010 - Kia C'eed advice - Galaxy

Yes, the Kia warranty for 100,000 miles or 7 years does sound wonderful. However, you have to read the Terms and Conditions to fully understand exactly what is and what isn't being offered.

After you've done that I don't think you'll find it's as wonderful as it first appears! And, of course, if it's discovered you haven't stuck to the T&C's to the letter, you'll get nothing. Anything they can use against what you haven't done to get out of paying for warranty work, they will.

The exclusions in Kia's warranty are no different to those in any other manufacturers warranty. But with a Kia you get 7 years on most components providing you keep to the T & C's. We only had a couple of issues with our Ceed and both were sorted with no arguement (even a holed A/C condensor was replaced FOC and I expected that to be blamed on a stone)

If you want a rubbish warranty buy a Ford. After year 1 its a dealer warranty and they say everthing is trim and trim is excluded. Colleague had the handbrake lever fall apart in his S Max, dealer said it was trim.

The guy at the dealer basically said it's not covered by the warranty if the fault is service related, would a timing chain jump be service related if I could prove the parts used at the services were Kia parts?
1.6 Kia C'eed 2010 - Kia C'eed advice - RobJP

Possibly. A timing chain failure is usually caused by a lack of lubrication - which could be caused by the wrong oil or the wrong oil filter, or not enough oil.

You have to prove that the parts were correct (with invoice from the garage supplier to the garage) you have to prove the oil used was correct (no use the garage saying it was, you have to prove it was, with a receipt/invoice again).

If the wrong oil was used would you expect it to have caused a problem before now (5k miles)? Sorry for all the questions but I have no idea when it comes to cars and want to be prepared/armed for when I go back to the dealer tomorrow, appreciate your input!
1.6 Kia C'eed 2010 - Kia C'eed advice - gordonbennet

Oh dear, the previous owner going cheap on the last service has really thrown a spanner in the works.

Yes poor oil or poor filtration over time could cause oil blockages or starvation (just as low oil level and oil left in too long can damage things), the timing chain is probably lubed by a few tiny oilways splash feeding it, it doesn't take much to block these oilways as thousands of owners of certain popular modern Diesels are finding out to their cost as their turbos seize, if the timing chain is starved of oil the chain guide will wear rapidly and the chain stretch, causing it to run slack and then jump.

The problem with your engine might be nothing to do with the parts or oil used, but without the magic fully invoiced service record i suspect you are up the creek here without a paddle.

If Kia are going to reject warranty it might be cheaper to pull the car out of their clutches before they dismantle it and let an indy, whom you trust, sort the problem for you, its going to be quite labour intensive and half the dealer's hourly rate is worth saving.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/11/2015 at 19:46

Thanks for everyone's input think I'll sack Kia warranty and go back to my reliable back street garage who I trust to do the job properly and will charge half the price.
think I'll sack Kia warranty

No need to do that, the previous owner did it for you.