Renault Laguna - Smells like burning oil - Fatty_X

Hi all

I am Fatty and I've got some trouble with my Laguna (Renault). There's a strange smell the last couple of weeks, smells like burning oil or something. I'm just smelling it at different times –

Mostly when I start the car or drive uphill. Any suggestions what the problem may be? I'm afraid that it could be a problem with the head gasket. How do I find out whether I'm right?

Thx guys

Renault Laguna - Smells like burning oil - madf

Start by opening the bonnet

and looking for oil leaking onto the exhaust.

Renault Laguna - Smells like burning oil - RobJP

Is it petrol ? diesel ? What sort of age ?

Have you looked under the bonnet and checked oil levels, brake fluid level, PAS fluid level, coolant level ?

Can you notice this smell while still driving ? With the doors closed ? Or is it when you come to a stop and get out of the car ?

There's nothing leaking, I've checked it.

It's a Laguna Hatchback 1.9 dCi Dynamique 5dr from 2005 Diesel

Oil level, coolant everything's fine. It's smelling inside the car. I smell it while I'm driving uphill. I've stopped a few times when I smelled it and checked from the outside but didn't smell anything outside. How do I find out whether the gasket is broken?

Renault Laguna - Smells like burning oil - Wolfan

There's nothing leaking, I've checked it.

It's a Laguna Hatchback 1.9 dCi Dynamique 5dr from 2005 Diesel

Oil level, coolant everything's fine. It's smelling inside the car. I smell it while I'm driving uphill. I've stopped a few times when I smelled it and checked from the outside but didn't smell anything outside. How do I find out whether the gasket is broken?

Make sure that the tailgate seal is intact, if damaged or not sealing properly it may allowing exhaust fumes to get into the cabin. the tailgate may need adjustment.

hi, sorry, I got a few gigs and run out of time a bit these days. tailgate seal seems fine, just a small crack on one spot. but I don't think that's a problem. I've called my garage this morning and they'll check it for free. I'll let u know what they think the problem is and then we maybe figure out how to fix it.

Renault Laguna - Smells like burning oil - Big John

Check the oil breather pipe - they rot

Here's the result from my garage: It's a very small crack in the head gasket. They want to replacce it for £180. Seem quiet a nice price to me. At first sight I wanted to replace it by my own, but the price seems worth saving my time. What do you guys think about it?

Renault Laguna - Smells like burning oil - madf

£180 is cheap fro a HG. And expensive for anything else.