Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - Trilogy

As many as 6 new models will be launched by 2020. The cars will have their own distinct design, emblem and names.

Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - Falkirk Bairn

Mazda with Xedos failed

Nissan with Infiniti are struggling (750 sales last year)

Toyota with Lexus has been a limited success but has not swept MB & BMW off their feet

Hyundai & Genesis.................an uphill strugglle IMHO

Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - Engineer Andy

The Far Eastern makes seem to do better in the continental US with their 'premium' brands than in Europe - as you say, only Lexus has mad any sort of impact, and really only in the UK. One of the problems outside of American (and to a lesser extent in Canada) is that the European luxury car buyer doesn't just want cars with 'all the goodies' and lashings of leather upholstery - they want that and a good amount of style/cache and decent handling/performance as well, something thus far that these makes haven't been able to deliver.

I personally find both the exteriors and interiors of their cars to be 'fussy' and haphazard, with very little 'aesthetic flow' and simplicity to the designs, as you would more likely see on a European premium car. The same goes for handling and performance - most Far Eastern 'premium' cars aren't what you'd call good in that department, more average. If a wealthy person is considering parting with more than £50k of their cash for a car, they want one that looks stylish inside and out, not something that was an exercise to see if the designer could use all their tools of the trade in one car, and one that performs and handles reasonably well.

I'm not sure if that says more about the quality of car stylists/designers in that part of the world or the level of taste of their mainly American clientelle.

Current I think only Mazda could even remotely pull it off from the styling POV (the only Far Eastern make worth its salt on the design front at the moment), though as they are a smaller outfit compared to Honda, Toyota, Nissan and perhaps Hyundai-Kia, they wouldn't do so give the high cost-to-profit risk of doing so, especially as the German, Italian and British premiuim brands practically have the market sown up outside of the US/Canada. Too much risk for little gain - if I were Hyundai-Kia, I would leave well alone and concentrate on continuing to take sales away from the likes of Ford, Vauxhall, PSA, Renault and FIAT until they've properly established they can better them on all fronts (other than value and perhaps [now? soon?] reliability).

Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - alan1302

Mazda with Xedos failed

Nissan with Infiniti are struggling (750 sales last year)

Toyota with Lexus has been a limited success but has not swept MB & BMW off their feet

Hyundai & Genesis.................an uphill strugglle IMHO

Don't confuse the UK with the rest of the world! Infinit sales have been very strong recently and Lexus is a big seller as well.

Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - Avant

I fear that, at least in the UK, Genesis will soon be followed by exodus. Plenty of makers have tried, but most British drivers (and some other Europeans as well) won't buy cars at the luxury end of the market unless they're made by BMW, Mercedes, Audi or JLR.

Volvo and Lexus have a following, but not on the same scale: the only other big cars to make headway are the Skoda Superb estate (90 % of what you get in a Mercedes E-class for 60 % of the price) and the Ford Mondeo, which will always find fleet buyers.

I've no real knowledge of the US market, but I think it must be there where brands like Infiniti and Subaru sell in quantities enough to ensure profitability. I assiume that Hyundai want a share of that market and choose to market the Genesis world-wide to gain as much publicity as possible.

Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - John F

Made up names like 'lexus' or 'infiniti' just won't do for a 'luxury' car. If the original bloke's name (Ford, Toyota) won't do you need the name of either an aristocrat (Cadillac) or a brilliant engineer (Bentley). Or both (Rolls Royce). Or a play on the name (Audi/Horch). As for acronyms like FIAT or BMW---ugh!

Sadly, the beautiful name of a car salesman's daughter was hijacked by certain German manufacturer.......

Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - RT

Sadly, the beautiful name of a car salesman's daughter was hijacked by certain German manufacturer.......

Of necessity as the Daimler name had been sold in 1900 after Gottlieb Daimler's death, some 26 years before Karl Benz got involved.

Of course, M-B could buy back the Daimler name from JLR.

Edited by RT on 05/11/2015 at 12:50

Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - RobJP

Just been having a look at the SMMT data for 2014. Shocking actually just how poorly Lexus performs.

Total registrations for the year (market share in brackets)

Audi : 158,987 (6.42%)

BMW : 148,878 (6.02%)

Merc : 124,419 (5.02%)

Lexus : 11,572 (0.47%)

And, equally surprisingly (to me at least), when you consider how much they are so hyped-up by the media ...

Jaguar : 18,401 (0.74%)

Wonder if the Jaguar XE will improve matters for them ...

Just been having a look at the SMMT data for 2014. Shocking actually just how poorly Lexus performs.

Total registrations for the year (market share in brackets)

Audi : 158,987 (6.42%)

BMW : 148,878 (6.02%)

Merc : 124,419 (5.02%)

Lexus : 11,572 (0.47%)

And, equally surprisingly (to me at least), when you consider how much they are so hyped-up by the media ...

Jaguar : 18,401 (0.74%)

Wonder if the Jaguar XE will improve matters for them ...

There's a chap called seank (supposedly [according to him] he owns/runs a large automotive parts firm) who takes delight in trashing Jaguar on the DT forums (comments below articles) and particularly the lack of sales of the XE.

Not sure why Jags aren't selling - its not as though they aren't good looking or haven't good good performance/handling, so maybe its a general 'image' thing - that Jags are cars for 'old men' with (some would snobbishly say down-market) Ford bits in them. Odd how Land Rovers are selling well, given they're all made by the same firm using the same parts suppliers.

Sadly, image is far too important for most people these days when it comes to buying cars - though I suspect the fact that people keep cars for shorter and often lease them (or similar) means that depreciation (often as much due to image as reliability/longevity) rates are a significant factor when buying a car for many. I'm glad I (as a long-term buyer) don't have to worry about that so much - it gives me more options.

Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - John F

Or just drop the 'Mercedes-' .

One could contend that the shorter the moniker, the more likely it is to be successful! (GM,VW,BMW, Ford....). Long names (Armstrong Siddeley, Hispano Suiza....) were doomed to failure. Ok - don't mention BL....

Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - RichT54

I wonder how Ford are doing with their luxury "Vignale" brand?

I wonder how Ford are doing with their luxury "Vignale" brand?

I wonder what the betting is about them selling less Vignale-branded Mondeos than MGs in the UK next year? I do love Ford's 'washing powder' (new 10x whiter white than last year's product [so white that it'll blind you without special black-out eclpise glasses]) approach to their cars' range of models (in terms of luxuriness) - perhaps instead of the 'Vignale' range, they could use the following:

Style

Zetec

Titanium

and some possible new ones...

Platignum

Adamantium

Diamond

Dilithium

Unobtainium

Gold-pressed Latinum

;-)

My guess is that they'll sell less than 50.

Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - RT

One could contend that the shorter the moniker, the more likely it is to be successful! (GM,VW,BMW, Ford....). Long names (Armstrong Siddeley, Hispano Suiza....) were doomed to failure. Ok - don't mention BL....

AC and TVR blow your theory!

Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - Trilogy

AC and TVR blow your theory!

GM isn't a brand. Nor was BL.

Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - Bilboman

Yes, I heard Phil Collins was planning to come out of retirement.

Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - RobJP

Yes, I heard Phil Collins was planning to come out of retirement.

Oh, well played !

Nice one - that's the HJ site's best "joke reply of the week" thus far!

Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - Ben79

They are still saying this will happen, but no word about what will happen in the UK, where the Genesis hasn't been a sales success, but owning one of the 43 on the road, I can say it's a lovely car!

Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - daveyK_UK

Nice looking car, I spotted one a few months back in High Wycombe

Hyundai to turn Genesis into separate luxury brand - Nickdm

I expect that Hyundai have the US market in mind with this new initiative.

Don't Honda have the upmarket Acura brand in North America? Hyundai just copying their Japanese competitors (as usual?!)

RobJP's SMMT statistics are from 2014. Hasn't Jaguar posted something like 30% increase in year-on-year sales in 2015 and 16? And hasn't Mercedes outsold Audi in '15 and '16?