Mazda 6 - Used Mazda 6 diesel - talk me out of it - Shrub

Evening all,

I drove a new Mazda 6 diesel for a month in the summer and loved it. I can't afford one, but I've been very temped by a high spec, low mileage (30,000), full dealer service history 2012 version that I can afford. Now please talk me out of it.

By which I mean, I've read all the official reviews, which rate it highly, and it suits my needs (growing family, comfort etc) but forums like HJ are full of tales of woe about Mazda 6 diesels. Now there is a tendency for forums to be full of diaster stories because people who've had bad experiences are more motiavted to shout about it, but still, it makes you think. There's no chance the common M6 diesel fault (dpf?) had been fixed in the 2012 model?

Is it worth considering, or should I stick to petrol (or a different car altogether)? To be honest day to day use may well be more suited to petrol - occasional long trips with kids and lots of kit, much more frequent shorter ones. But it's a nice car and a nice drive at a nice price.

One more thing. I can only afford this once. I've driven only small, old hatchbacks before, Focus/Astra level, two thousand pounds max. This might be the one and only time I can splash out on a car, roughly 8 or 9 grand. It needs to last.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Mazda 6 - Used Mazda 6 diesel - talk me out of it - gordonbennet

My thoughts.

Question 1 how long does the maker warrant their product? answer as long as they expect it to last.

Question 2 how has the maker behaved with previous failures out of warranty? answer the same as they will this time.

quack waddle equals duck

My thoughts.

Question 1 how long does the maker warrant their product? answer as long as they expect it to last.

Question 2 how has the maker behaved with previous failures out of warranty? answer the same as they will this time.

quack waddle equals duck

Thanks GB, I take your point. More Googling suggests many owners not happy with Mazda UK. Would you recommend an alternative - Mondeo, Passat etc?

Mazda 6 - Used Mazda 6 diesel - talk me out of it - gordonbennet

Any recommendation by me will be not much use because i avoid modern cars, just don't like them and the electronic faff involved.

For what its worth, if you can live with the electric parking brake then Avensis would be my choice, in so much as they are as good as any and if you keep up the servicing then Toyota are usually very good about goodwill if a serious problem develops after warranty expires and if they discover a common weakness are quick to own up to it and usually extend warranty on the affected parts to 110k and 7 years.

If you could live with slightly smaller then Auris estate has a proper handbrake and also comes in Hybrid form but may be over budget.

Mazda 6 - Used Mazda 6 diesel - talk me out of it - bazza

If you do not really need a diesel then definitely avoid! The Mazda6 diesel as GB says, is fraught with DPF and oil level issues so avoid. The petrol versions seem far far better the 1.8 or 2.0 petrols appear very strong. If, as you say, this is a big purchase, then quite rightly you need to put the money into something likely to reward with trouble free ownership for a few years. Avensis or Auris, boring cars but very robust. I like the Accord too but again-- best to stick with petrol and put up with mpg penalty. The VW 2 litre CR diesel is great to drive but is a complex beast with much to go wrong and I wouldn't want to own one outside of warranty. VW do not have a good reliability reputation as they age generally. Also it's subject to emissions recall which is an unknown outcome right now. I can't comment much on Mondeo diesels but the petrol versions have always been a great drive and decent enough to own.

Skidpan on here has a new Seat Leon 1.4 petrol and loves it. With an extended warranty that might be worth a shot. Also the Civic would be on my list- great petrol engines.

Mazda 6 - Used Mazda 6 diesel - talk me out of it - Graham567

I would highly recommend the 2.0 Mondeo diesel.Avoid the 1.8 as its noisy and underpowered.The 2.0 is a peach.Quiet,smooth and no problems with the dpf even when used for short journeys.I have owned mine for 5 years now and have had no problems.Its a pleasure to drive,refined and if you go for a Titanium X then it has every toy you can think of.You can get a lot of car for £9,000.

Something like this:-

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20151027820...p

Mazda 6 - Used Mazda 6 diesel - talk me out of it - Big John

I have some friends who had a new 2010 Mazda 6 diesel that had loads of problems in the first year of ownership, major DPF issues with only 1000 miles on the clock! Car recovered numerous times

As it was a company car they had to stick with it (until August this year) - Eventually dealer did sort it and it's had no reliability issues since.

Saying that would I buy one - probably not - I've moved back to petrol

Edited by Big John on 04/11/2015 at 23:24

Thanks very much all, really appreciate the time you've taken and the advice. The Mazda 6 diesel is now off the list I think. Avensis I hadn't thought of. Boring I'm not too bothered about. Comfort and relaibility are key. I quite like Mondeos - they do seem to have a good reputation for the price.

I suspect there's no right answer to this question, but what's more important in a used car, youth or miles? Is a 40,000 2012 model a better bet than a 29,000 2010 model (all else being equal, service history etc)? Maybe it depends on the car.

Thanks again everyone.

S