C Max 1000cc ecoboost 125 2015 - Ecoboost 1000cc 125ps turbo knocking - dogdays

Hi All

My 1650 mile 1000cc ecoboost c max is making a soft knocking noise from the rear of the engine when cold. This is a bit like a bearing on a heater fan ( theheater fan turned off of course when testing for noise) or a mechanical rotory pump knocking at low revs. It the noise accelerates with revs and goes when the engine has realy warmed up. Is this normal or have I got a problem?

Any ideas?

Chris

C Max 1000cc ecoboost 125 2015 - Ecoboost 1000cc 125ps turbo knocking - medview

Hi

My guess is that the noise is piston slap, which VW 1.2TSI engines also have cold. The rate of clatter should be synchronous with engine revs, and only the firing cylinders make the slap.

Piston slap is one of the side effects of minimising engine friction. Just take it easy until the engine has warmed up and it won't do significant damage.

Joe

C Max 1000cc ecoboost 125 2015 - Ecoboost 1000cc 125ps turbo knocking - skidpan

The OP should head off back to the dealer and ask the question. He should also ask to try an identical car to see if that does it. If it does its normal, if it doesn't it needs sorting.

That is what the warranty is for.

C Max 1000cc ecoboost 125 2015 - Ecoboost 1000cc 125ps turbo knocking - Ben 10
There's nothing wrong with coming on here first to see whether there are owners who have the same noise and know it's not a problem or have had the problem diagnosed and able to advise.

Yes he has a warranty and can take it back, but dealerships have a track record of disputing problems the layman identifies by palming off with an excuse. Like the old excuse that the computer diagnosis hasn't thrown anything up. The back and forth visits which can occur. So there is nothing wrong in asking on here first.

I had a problem with an ST, which is logged with the HJ review section. Ford swore blind there was nothing wrong with my car which kept stallling. I searched the Internet and found a problem with it in the US which had had a recall. They knew nothing about it here. Supposedly. When I produced the evidence and emailed the head of Ford UK, they were tripping over themselves to get my car in for repair. With a big apology for basically calling me a liar.

As I say, there's nothing better than getting a similar problem identified by someone on here before you trudge to the dealership. Which can be a time consuming process.

To the OP, sorry but cannot help with your particular query, but I hope someone on here can, and if that is not forthcoming, then book yourself in with your dealer.

Edited by Ben 10 on 28/10/2015 at 20:44

C Max 1000cc ecoboost 125 2015 - Ecoboost 1000cc 125ps turbo knocking - dogdays

It appears they all rattle and clatter like this from cold, I had a good listen to friends engine. Its not the turbo, its the valve clearences and piston slap. I thought I had seen the back of this some years ago, when engines got quiet.

Edited by dogdays on 08/11/2015 at 13:18