Mazda CX-7 - Mazda 2.2 diesel issues - Goldbug

First thing, great car which ticks multiple boxes. However in past 6 months has clobbered me with £1700 of engine repairs leaving me shaken and stirred:

1. Carbonisation of sump owing to faulty injector blow-back. Fixed with new injectors at £700. Thank god I read the signs and put into Mazda immediately - "if you hadn't sir this would have been a £9k new engine. We're seeing more and more of these now - seems to be a real problem". Really? (Shame it's out of warranty)

2. Flashing DPF light which diagnostics have revealed is a stretched timing chain, "sorry sir, that's a £1000 repair for new chain & tensioners - we're getting more of these recently". Really? Hang on - CHAIN not belt, surely that's life of the engine? Seems not at Mazda.

If there's a third world of pain, this baby's back on the market. Any comments re Mazda 2.2D?

HonestJohn - please post this on your CX-7 review page

Mazda CX-7 - Mazda 2.2 diesel issues - skidpan

Beware of forums. Only people with issues normally post so the frequency of probems can become exagerated.

If you search for problems with the 2.2 diesel in the several models its fifted to you will find it appears to be an engine with issues. Considering that it has not been sold in enormous numbers I would never consider buying one myself.

Other engines crop up frequently but one of those has been sold in such huge numbers it is inevitable that problems will occur more regulary.

Mazda CX-7 - Mazda 2.2 diesel issues - xtrailman

Its a common problem. You should be approching Mazda for some payment towards costs.

Injectors leak, sump strainer gets clogged up, engine gets staved of oil, engine destroyed.

Ideally you should drop the sump before a oil change to inspect clean the strainer, and routinly check around the injectors for leaks or staining.

And earlier oil changes are a good idea.

First i've heard of DPF and timing chains.

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/90350-oh-dear/?hl=rinty#entry969851

Edited by xtrailman on 29/10/2015 at 07:34

Mazda CX-7 - Mazda 2.2 diesel issues - Avant

Goldbug, would you like to tell us how old your CX-7 is? Mazda diesel engines made between about 2005 and 2010 were notorious for severe engine problems, but Mazda would have us believe that newer cars don't have the problems.

You can post your own review in the Reviews section: it'll be much appreciated if you do.

Mazda CX-7 - Mazda 2.2 diesel issues - skidpan

Goldbug, would you like to tell us how old your CX-7 is? Mazda diesel engines made between about 2005 and 2010 were notorious for severe engine problems, but Mazda would have us believe that newer cars don't have the problems.

It is probably a car from that period, they stopped selling them in about 2011.

The petrols were thirsty and the diesels unreliable.