Ausdi A1 1.2TFSi - A1 1.2TFSI Engine noise...welcome your thoughts - megalira

Would you mind listening to these two clips (if my uploading skills have worked!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA7RIcJ9Tp0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rObzl7M_NrM

Background: Audi UK say this is a normal characteristic of the engine. If this is the case, I am disappointed as for the first two years (since new), I have only been able to hear a quiet engine that sounded like a car. Consequently I have been diddled out of the pleasure, and have had to wait over two years, before I get a 'the normal characteristic' that sounds like a tractor first thing every morning <*** style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: #333333; font-family: 'Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18.2px; background-color: #e8e9eb;" title="Rolling Eyes" src="http://www.a1-forum.co.uk/a1forum/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif" alt=":roll:" />

Two separate Audi dealerships have said they should make this sound! Now, am I being paranoid or does this sound awful!!

All responses welcome....constructive, rude or humorous....I'm thick-skinned !!

Ausdi A1 1.2TFSi - A1 1.2TFSI Engine noise...welcome your thoughts - RobJP

So are you saying it's been sounding like this since new, or has recently started to sound like this ?

I'm not entirely sure, from your post

So are you saying it's been sounding like this since new, or has recently started to sound like this ?

I'm not entirely sure, from your post

It was beautifully quiet for two years and only recently started making this noise (at approx 30k miles)

Thanks.

Next questions. How many services has it had ? At what mileages ?

Thanks.

Next questions. How many services has it had ? At what mileages ?

Its had service as per manufacturer ...at 18k, and next one due at 36k (soon but not yet)...both within date limits

Ausdi A1 1.2TFSi - A1 1.2TFSI Engine noise...welcome your thoughts - craig-pd130

The only abnormal noise I hear is immediately after the engine fires, and it makes that hollow resonance for a second or two. As soon as the engine settles to a normal idle, it sounds absolutely fine.

I suspect an accessory drive belt (perhaps for the aircon unit) is slipping slightly on cold starts.

Was the car being started from stone cold in the videos? And was the aircon / climate switched on?

The only abnormal noise I hear is immediately after the engine fires, and it makes that hollow resonance for a second or two. As soon as the engine settles to a normal idle, it sounds absolutely fine.

I suspect an accessory drive belt (perhaps for the aircon unit) is slipping slightly on cold starts.

Was the car being started from stone cold in the videos? And was the aircon / climate switched on?

Agree with your first paragraph...thats the bit I don't like...thewn it's fine

Stone cold on videos, but also can do it from a couple of hours standing (less frequently)

Aircon always off...generally only use it when weather warm or if demisting 'needs a boost'

I'm wondering if the oil filter is partially clogged, and/or the oil has degraded to the extent where, on startup, there isn't enough oil at the top of the engine to lubricate valves/tappets for the first few seconds.

Regarding oil/filter changes, you'll find HJ personally, along with quite a few people on here, hate those extended filter changes. Every year or 10k miles (whichever comes first) is generally recommended to greatly enhance engine longevity.

I'm one of the people who agrees with that. But I used to work in engine oil development for one of the 'majors'. My own BMW, for example (recommended oil changes every 18k miles) gets an oil/filter change every 9k miles.

I'm wondering if the oil filter is partially clogged, and/or the oil has degraded to the extent where, on startup, there isn't enough oil at the top of the engine to lubricate valves/tappets for the first few seconds.

Regarding oil/filter changes, you'll find HJ personally, along with quite a few people on here, hate those extended filter changes. Every year or 10k miles (whichever comes first) is generally recommended to greatly enhance engine longevity.

I'm one of the people who agrees with that. But I used to work in engine oil development for one of the 'majors'. My own BMW, for example (recommended oil changes every 18k miles) gets an oil/filter change every 9k miles.

Thanks for that info....I will bring forward the service and see what difference that makes....Thanks again

Ausdi A1 1.2TFSi - A1 1.2TFSI Engine noise...welcome your thoughts - elekie&a/c doctor
Make sure you have the latest type oil filter fitted.Use only genuine from Vw/Audi and the correct spec oil.
Ausdi A1 1.2TFSi - A1 1.2TFSI Engine noise...welcome your thoughts - skidpan

If this is the chain cam engine used in earlier cars it could well be an indication that the chain/tensionsers are worn.

But don't panic. Our neighbours son has a 10 plate example which exhibited a rattle and the local dealer replaced the chain, tensioners etc for a 25% contribution from the owner. Not cheap but better than suffering an engine failure and on a 5 year old car that was 2 years out of warranty you cannot realistically expect more.

Speak to your dealer again and if they are unhelpful speak to Audi.