Mercedes E-Class estate to Skoda Superb estate - Trilogy

A couple of weks ago a well know UK weekly car magazine carried out a test of the cars in the title. The result was very close. This week, in the letters section, a reader had written to say he'd changed from an E-class to a Superb. The dealer told him he was the fourth to go from a Merc to a Superb. The tide seems to be turning, even more swiftly.

Would I buy a new Superb instead? No. Last model? Yes. If VAG can't be bothered to make the rear seat fold down flat on a car at that price, I won't bother either.

Mercedes E-Class estate to Skoda Superb estate - Avant

To achieve a virtually flat floor in the Octavia and Superb you need to specify the variable boot floor - which I presume is an extra because some people prefer the extra space without it.

The rear seatbacks are at a slight angle, but it's never been a problem in mine. Far more convenient to pull two handles in the boot, as I do now, than lift the cushions / get the seatbelt out of the way / release the backrest / then do it all again the other side, as I had to on the Mark 2 Octavia.

Edited by Avant on 25/10/2015 at 23:02

Mercedes E-Class estate to Skoda Superb estate - Happy Blue!

Having just agreed to buy a Mercedes E-class I sat in the range topping Skoda Superb belonging to a friend yesterday. A really very nice car, well appointed, very comfortable, lots of kit. I can understand why there is some movement from one brand to the other. I would have a Skoda if my wife permitted one in the drive!

But......somehow the Mercedes is just more upmarket. It's like Man United playing Bournemouth. Both are in the Premier League, but in your heart of hearts, you know that whilst United belong there, Bournemouth are temporary residents.....

Mercedes E-Class estate to Skoda Superb estate - Avant

You're right - there is a more upmarket feel in a Mercedes, as indeed there is in an Audi. But it probably amounts to only £1,000 - £2,000 worth of better quaity fittings (in an Audi, the mechanicals won;t be any different fronm a Skoda), whereas the actual price difference is a lot more than that.

(I thought you were a Manchester City supporter, HB!)

Mercedes E-Class estate to Skoda Superb estate - Happy Blue!

Oh I am a Blue! I just thought some of our colleagues might get a bit shirty if I said MCFC belonged in the Premier League just like the s**m from Stretford (not even in the City of Manchester........).

Mind you after yesterday's result neither team belong in the Premiership.

Mercedes E-Class estate to Skoda Superb estate - concrete

My daughter had Superb estate for 2 years as a company car. At the same time my brother had a Merc E class estate. Several times we compared them side by side and we really could not figure out the price difference. The Superb never gave a hint of trouble but my brothers Merc had lots of little niggles. He has now switched to Audi and is happy with his A8 quattro, at least he can get off the drive in winter now. My Skoda Superb has been just that, so I would definitely have another. Badge snobbery is an expensive exercise when you are really just after a set of reliable wheels! Cheers Concrete

Mercedes E-Class estate to Skoda Superb estate - Trilogy

To achieve a virtually flat floor in the Octavia and Superb you need to specify the variable boot floor - which I presume is an extra because some people prefer the extra space without it.

The rear seatbacks are at a slight angle, but it's never been a problem in mine. Far more convenient to pull two handles in the boot, as I do now, than lift the cushions / get the seatbelt out of the way / release the backrest / then do it all again the other side, as I had to on the Mark 2 Octavia.

With the 25 Renault managed to make the rear seat fold simply, properly, with no hassle. No excuse for any manufacturer. IMO, the slight angle shouldn't be there. Unforgivable in a car at this price. Just lazy car design.

Mercedes E-Class estate to Skoda Superb estate - Ed V

No-one here has yet offered to share their expertise, and specify the details of what the differences are between e.g. E Class and Superb, or Golf and Focus, or even Bentley and S Class.

With so many parts being made by third parties and bought by many of the car brands, it makes one wonder.