VW Golf TDi 2.0, registered April-11 - VW Golf emissions and potential fixes - PhilOpus

My engine is one affected by the emissions issue. In view of the fixes likely to be offered by VW, I would like to know (a) will it be compulsory to have the software/engine fix applied and (b) does the current set-up cheat UK MOT emissions checks?

VW Golf TDi 2.0, registered April-11 - VW Golf emissions and potential fixes - RobJP

Point 1. No, it is not being done as a recall ... AT PRESENT. Recalls are usually only done for safety-critical items (for example, the airbag recalls that have been taking place the last few years). Even then, the recall is voluntary. Nobody can FORCE you to take your car in for the recall.

Point 2. UK MOT emission checks do not check for NOx, which is what the 'cheat' software was designed to reduce. So that will make no difference ... AGAIN, at present.

If, in the future, they decided that NOx testing was a part of the MOT test, and your car failed because it had not had the recall, then you might well find yourself rather screwed, however. In addition (though very unlikely), it would be possible, if lots of people refused to take their cars in for the recall, the recall could be made mandatory by a Statutory Instrument from VOSA, passed through parliament. At that point, vehicles not having had the recall carried out could (in theory) be refused MOT certificates.

I'd suggest you contact VAG if you have further queries.

VW Golf TDi 2.0, registered April-11 - VW Golf emissions and potential fixes - slkfanboy

While in the USA, 50 class lawsuits have been raised against VW demanding the VW buy back affected cars because it's unikely a proper fix can be found.

It's be reported that any solution will affect the MPG and Duribility, so any fix might not be a good thing.

But have to wait till next year and see what is on offer

VW Golf TDi 2.0, registered April-11 - VW Golf emissions and potential fixes - PhilOpus

Thanks to both for those replies. Cheers.

Edited by PhilOpus on 23/10/2015 at 17:29

VW Golf TDi 2.0, registered April-11 - VW Golf emissions and potential fixes - RobJP

Further to my previous reply here :

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-tran...l

Which does seem to indicate that further action MIGHT be undertaken to force compliance with the recall.