Honda Civic - is 82000 miles a lot for a petrol engine? - Mr Carrot Cake

Looking at a 2006 Honda Civit 1.8, it has done 82000 miles, I know Hondas are very reliable and well made but could I end up with expensive repair bills due to the mileage and age?

Honda Civic - is 82000 miles a lot for a petrol engine? - jc2

Three of my recent gasoline cars had done 150,000ml.+ plus when disposed of;however not Honda,but two Ford and one Fiat.

Honda Civic - is 82000 miles a lot for a petrol engine? - Cyd

is 82000 miles a lot for a petrol engine? ans not if it's been looked after

could I end up with expensive repair bills due to the mileage and age? ans well yes of course you could. True of any car.

Honda Civic - is 82000 miles a lot for a petrol engine? - bathtub tom

Its service record is crucial. As long as there's proof of it having oil and filter changes within the recommended intervals, then that level of mileage wouldn't bother me.

I recently sold an eleven year old car with only 50K on it. I had all the old MOTs to prove mileage and receipts for every year for servicing. The buyer was delighted.

Honda Civic - is 82000 miles a lot for a petrol engine? - SteveLee

As long as oil changes haven't been neglected there's nothing to worry about. The engine will out last the car - it will become economically beyond repair for something like ABS failure long before the engine expires.

Honda Civic - is 82000 miles a lot for a petrol engine? - Cluedo
As above - as long as the oil has been changed in accordance with schedule then it will be fine. Honda have annual services rather computer based intervals and also Honda make some of the best (if not the best) engines out there - especially petrol.
Honda Civic - is 82000 miles a lot for a petrol engine? - Bolt

You can normally tell when oil/filter has not been changed regularly because the timing chain rattles excessively on them including the Diesel

If it has they hardly sound and should last 200k plus, just make sure all electrics work, apart from suspension being slightly hard they are good cars IMO

Honda Civic - is 82000 miles a lot for a petrol engine? - Stumblebum

I ran a 2001 to 2005 generation Civic to 120K no problem.

I ran a 2004 Accord to 110K no problem.

The cars were written off in accidents (other drivers admitted liability both cases) otherwise I'd probably still be driving them.

My garage had a courtesy car which was about 200K on the clock (petrol). The engines - are relatively simple and well engineered, so should last with care.

So if the price is ok, and the service history is good, you can confirm the mileage, and it looks in good shape (current MOT, matching tyres etc.), and no more than two owners, and you have some money left to cover any consumables such as new tyres, brakes etc then it's probably worth a try. Having money left over for replacing consumables is crucial; don't assume the previous owner took care of this before selling.

My cars were serviced at a local indepedent. They did not need a franchised dealer, just a competent one.

Honda Civic - is 82000 miles a lot for a petrol engine? - kiss (keep it simple)

I haven't worn out an engine yet. My last 4 cars, all petrol, have been sold on at 120k - 150k and they were all running just fine. Only repair was a head gasket on a 1.4 Golf. Regular oil changes of course.

Honda Civic - is 82000 miles a lot for a petrol engine? - Wukl

As others have said, I'm sure a Honda engine will do 150k easily - even ragged mercilessly - provided the oil and filter has been changed at least as regulalry as per the manufacturer's schedule. It's also important the level has been maintained, which is difficult to check. If it's a private seller you might be able to judge if they look the type to have been a regular dipstick lifter, if it's on a forecourt you might just catch it before they service it (is the level low, is the oil dark, does it smell petroly etc). These engine are chain cam I believe so that takes away the cost of belt changes but they must have good quality and level of oil if they are to last the life of the car. If you are in any doubt about the longevity of petrol engines, google "million mile Lexus". Some stupid, inexplicably expensive module will likely claim a car before engine failure.

Honda Civic - is 82000 miles a lot for a petrol engine? - Bolt

They have sensors for oil level one indicates a yellow dipstick and oil light in centre of dash the overfill burns oil off in engine

Honda Civic - is 82000 miles a lot for a petrol engine? - Benet

Our Honda Shuttle (1999) has the 2.3 VTEC engine and is quite happily on 146,000 miles plus - no sign of anything going wrong yet!