Difficult to find car comparison specs - P2

To decide on a new car I'm first looking at interior size - specifically boot space. Then I'll look at everything else. I want to know luggage capacity seats up and seats down. And how long an item (like a piece of furniture) can I slide into the boot with seats down so the max dimensions of the boot.

But can I find the details? Aargh, apparently not without downloading each and every brochure. Even looking at classes of cars is not a great help as the boundaries are blurred in some ways

Anyone know an easy way to find these stats?

For ref, I dont want an estate car or 7 seater.

Thanks

Difficult to find car comparison specs - Avant

Yes, on this website. It's part of what the site is for.

Go to car-by-car reviews; click on a make, then a model, and then go to Specifications. You should find all you want there.

Difficult to find car comparison specs - John Boy

Yes, on this website. It's part of what the site is for..

If only that were true, Avant. Boot capacities are given by volume, not length and width.

In fairness, though, giving those dimensions would be a massive task, because there must be lots of grey areas. In my car, for instance, the length of an item which can fit in the boot, with the rear seats lowered, depends on how close to the steering wheel the driver is prepared or able to sit.

My particular gripe, in this respect, is that photographs in the reviews rarely show exactly what you can do with the rear seats i.e. do they fold and stand vertically, fold giving a stepped floor or fold to give a completely flat cargo space. The text too is often unhelpful in this respect.

Difficult to find car comparison specs - P2

Thanks, luggage capacities are there but not boot dimensions.

I was trying to be a bit lazy and see if there was any easy way of narrowing my search by listing cars on a criterion such as boot space without having to visit each page and write it down individually to start my list.

Difficult to find car comparison specs - Andrew-T

Thanks, luggage capacities are there but not boot dimensions.

Yes, luggage volumes are of limited use unless one plans to fill the car with sand or pingpong balls or somesuch. Width between wheel arches is also important. And it's anyone's guess whether the maker's figures are accurate enough to make valid comparisons.

Difficult to find car comparison specs - focussed

I seem to remember that a motoring magazine whose name escapes me, used to evaluate luggage space on car tests by listing how many suitcases or boxes of a standard size would fit in any particular car.

Difficult to find car comparison specs - Avant

The best way to find out would be to go and look at some cars. More and more towns have industrial estates on their outskirts where car dealers seem to congregate, so you could taker a tape measure and cover quite a few makes.

My suggested starting point would be a Skoda dealer. All Skodas have above-average boot capacity in relation to the length of the car, and you can have a hatchback if (for whatever reasons) you don't want the estate.

Difficult to find car comparison specs - dadbif
If you let the forum know what models you are interested in, I'm sure folks will go and get the relevant dimensions for you if they own one. I have a C3 Picasso, with the rear seats down it gives a perfectly flat load space and swallows huge loads
Difficult to find car comparison specs - xtrailman

I do what Avant says.

Take a notebook pen and tape, its surprising how a shorter car can hold as much if not more luggage.

I need a specific car to carry my fishing rod holder and tackle, full match gear, so i know where the OP is coming from.

Difficult to find car comparison specs - John Boy

... so i know where the OP is coming from.

So do I. In the past I've needed to take 2 cycles on holiday trips, but wanted to avoid having them on a roof rack in service areas and the like where I couldn't keep an eye on the car. The obvious solution seemed to be to carry them, with the front wheels removed, inside the car. We had no passengers for the rear seats, so I looked for an estate car where they could fold flat and give a space long enough for the cycles to be strapped to either side of the vehicle with luggage in between. I went round a car supermarket with a tape measure looking at cars in my price range. I recall that a Mk 4 Astra was long enough inside, but the Focus, which was current at the time, was not.