Ford Focus Estate - Is Ford's Ecoboost really that economical? - John F

I have just done a 1371m 169.12litre brim to brim calculation (36.85mpg) for our 15yr old 1.6 Zetec petrol 110,000m automatic estate which rarely does long motorway journeys.

On this website's real MPG section there is 35.3mpg for a 2014 1.0 Eco 125 estate and 42.7 for a 1.0 100 saloon.

Admittedly we are not fast drivers and I 'ride and glide' quite frequently when I drive it, but I contend that the ecoboost is not as economical as it's cracked up to be. And will it be as durable?

Ford Focus Estate - Is Ford's Ecoboost really that economical? - Avant

SWMBO's sister left her 1.0 Ecoboost Fiesta in our drive for two months when she went to Australia. I took it for a run every couple of weeks and rather liked it.

If you drive it gently it'll be quite economical: but it's lively and encourages spirited driving, and I think you can get performance equivalent to John's 1.6 from it, but it'll use much the same amount of petrol in doing so.

Edited by Avant on 28/09/2015 at 01:11

Ford Focus Estate - Is Ford's Ecoboost really that economical? - Coombs33

i had one of these eco boost's when my 1.6d tdi focus went in for repairs. The eco boost felt faster and more responsive but fuel economy was in no comparison. Driving the eco like i do my tdi it was terrible even though my tdi gets 57mpg but when i drove extremely cautious and had my eye contantly on the mpg meter i started averaging 46mpg at a push. I would expect the eco boost to struggle on family holidays.

Ford Focus Estate - Is Ford's Ecoboost really that economical? - Coombs33

i had one of these eco boost's when my 1.6d tdi focus went in for repairs. The eco boost felt faster and more responsive but fuel economy was in no comparison. Driving the eco like i do my tdi it was terrible even though my tdi gets 57mpg but when i drove extremely cautious and had my eye contantly on the mpg meter i started averaging 46mpg at a push. I would expect the eco boost to struggle on family holidays.

Ford Focus Estate - Is Ford's Ecoboost really that economical? - focussed

I note that it is possible to order a Mondeo Estate powered by this ridiculous engine.

Does anyone fancy a fully loaded mondeo estate with 4-5 people up +luggage on a holiday cruise?

Ford Focus Estate - Is Ford's Ecoboost really that economical? - daveyjp
Its also in the C Max and I've seen a video report of one being used to tow a caravan!
Ford Focus Estate - Is Ford's Ecoboost really that economical? - dan86

Personally I can't see these small highly stressed engines doing high mileage without racking up big bills I may be wrong, but for a unstressed power plant there's no replacement for displacement.