Citroen dispatch 1.9D DW9 Engine - Thick blue smoke running rough - Stevie2015
Hi people new to this . But have run out of ideas ..... Well here goes I've got a Citroen dispatch 04 plate had it for a while and just recently last week it started losing power and making bad rattling sound and heavy blue smoking !!! And also engine management light was flashing ... Then it would go of and van would pick up again ... The van starts first time everytime but sounds likes it's missing and heavy blue smoking ... And the engine management light is on all the time. Now !!!! I have cleaned EGR VALVE OUT COMPLETELY !!! And had new filters put in I have had the van plugged into the computer and the only fault that keeps coming up and can't be erased is the crank shaft sensor ... But I have replaced this and the fault is still there . PO355 . And the van is still running rough !! So I don't know what else to do .. So if u experts could give me some ideas or pin point the problem that would be amazing .. Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope U reply soon thanks
Citroen dispatch 1.9D DW9 Engine - Thick blue smoke running rough - mss1tw

I have a Berlingo with this engine (I think you mean DW8?) and it's pretty basic apart from the electronics.

It might be worth having the live engine data read while the fault is occuring as fault codes only tell you so much. It could be faulty connection, chafed wire as it's intermittent.

The only time the EML has lit on mine, is when I unplugged the MAF sensor, and that made no difference at all to the running of the engine.

Also I Googled your fault code and it brought up nothing but iginition coil fault codes which would be for a petrol engine. Might be worth looking into your scan tool config.

Citroen dispatch 1.9D DW8 Engine - Thick blue smoke running rough - Stevie2015
Yes sorry DW8 engine and might have got the code wrong .. But it was crank shaft position sensor circuit problem .. That's what was coming up on the computer ...but started it this morning . Heavy smoke appeared and slight misfiring accured again . took it for a run and the smoked cleared and was running fine... But the EML is still on .. So I will start it again in morning and see what happens ...
There is also slight hole in the exhaust box at the front and well the box need replacing . Would this effect the van ??? Thanks
Oh and where is the MAF SENSOR located ? Should I un plug this to ?
Citroen dispatch 1.9D DW8 Engine - Thick blue smoke running rough - Gibbo_Wirral

MAF sensor is down at the bottom right of the engine bay, at the start of the air intake piping (or was on my 306 with DW8 engine).

Although a faulty MAF won't necessarily bring on the engine light (it didn't on mine), but a diagnostic did show it was faulty, and power returned when I replaced it.

Citroen dispatch 1.9D DW8 Engine - Thick blue smoke running rough - Peter.N.

Does this engine have an injector with a sensor in it like the late XUD's? if so that could well be the problem as its used to sense the injection timing which goes all over the place if it stops working.

The blue smoke and rattle would suggest inaccurate timing.

Yes am sure it does ... This will be injector that's the most expensive with the cable coming from it .. How can I test if this is working or not ??? Thanks
Citroen dispatch 1.9D DW9 Engine - Thick blue smoke running rough - hardway

Get it plugged into genuine Citroen diagnostics,

As simple as these are non Cit systems can get a bit confused,

Hell I don't know.

maybe thay have a thick french accent that confuses other diagnostic systems!

Citroen Lexia always works.

But your fault sounds very much like a failed pump timing solenoid.

basically an ECU controled pump timing adjuster.

Symptoms include heavy smoke,uneven or very low idle and engine knock.

Citroen diagnostics alow for activation of this unit.

Or if your feeling brave a solenoid off a used runner will probaly help.

It's the one on the pump closest to the vehicle front.

And locked into the pump by some sort of locking thread/bolt??

Sorry it's been a while since I've done one and I'm getting old.

So Citroen Lexia will confirm,

and activation test will help.

Citroen dispatch 1.9D DW9 Engine - Thick blue smoke running rough - Stevie2015
Hi is the solenoid the one covered with the rubber cap ??? Is this it ??? I will get one of a used runner and try it . But that's sounds like the problem .
Citroen dispatch 1.9D DW9 Engine - Thick blue smoke running rough - hardway

Yup!

but as stated there's some arangement for locking the beasty into the pump.

and it's been so long since I did one I cant recall exactly what the arangement is.

Some vague memory tells me it's a lock nut on the thread of the solenoid threaf body and a bit of a fiddle to get loose while the pump's still fitted.

And memory says a very short spanner needed

If you taking one of a breaker you'll see what i mean.

Yes got it out it was unplugging the cable that was hard !!!.. Not been able get second hand one so ordered new one . 70 pound from eBay . Hopefully this will sort it out thanks again
He's the update ... I have changed advance solenoid... Van starts first time but very smokey ... Van sounds like it's missing a little bit but not as much as before ... Smokes clears when take the van for a run . Van seems to be ok when engine is warm .....
Citroen dispatch 1.9D DW8 Engine - Thick blue smoke running rough - hardway

Yeah,

knew there was something about the job that was a pig,

So what you need now is Dealer diagnostics,

Peugeot Planet or Citroen lexia,

on live data scan you need to check specified pump advance against expected advance,

and check the coolant temperature sensor readings,

if that's reading too cold there will be a greater advance applied to the solenoid signal.

that would give knock and smoke,

a bit like too much choke on a petrol engine.

Nothing wrong with Ebay chinese clone coppies of PP/Lexia,

least for your engine,

Well u wouldn't believe this .. I was driving a along in the van and it was smoking and running poorly so I parked up in a lay and absolutely revved the ass of it solid for 10 minutes until the engine was smoking ... Opened the bonnet water everywhere steam coming out of water tank .. Must of boiled over .... So I let it cool down and topped it up with water .. Jumped back in the van started it up no smoke ... Engine light went out .. And drove away fine no smoke since or running sluggish ... Even on cold start not 1 bit of smoke at all and ticks over soundly !!!! UNBELIEVABLE !!!! ???????????? so clad it's running good now ... Big thank you to U guys and words of wisdom ??????????????????????
Carrying on from symptoms of van above . Van has gone back to its old ways . Smoking heavily , loss of power . Can hear the engine missing . I have had the van plugged into diagnostics and had came up crank shaft sensor .but That had been changed already , so garage had tried a new one again and the van still running poorly . Have changed the advance solenoid to and still the same . The engine light seems to come on and go off when it's raining or damp outside . Then the van picks up again when the light is out ... So garage has said that this is all pointing to a faulty wire somewhere or bad connection . If it has came up as crank shaft sensor on the computer . Would it be the wires coming from crank shaft sensor ? Are faulty ? Or would it be something else . I am at a total loss with it now . So any ideas or thoughts would be very much appreciated thanks .
Citroen dispatch 1.9D DW8 Engine - Thick blue smoke running rough - hardway

Well at least you've narrowed it down,

I'd agree with garage it's a wiring fault which isn't unusual on a French vehicle.

So I'd say your left with two options,

fitting a used engine wiring harness which would in theory eliminate a wire fault and a check on all conectors while thus is done.

Or get a profesional in to 'scope all the signals back at the ECU and load test all the wire/systems.

Which can get a bt expebsive,

Fixing what is actually wrong normaly takes very little time,

Finding the fault can take hours!