Nissan Qashqai - automatic gearbox - mr.tricky

i am considering buying a 2011 Nissan Qashqai Tekna 2.0 petrol automatic.

the listing says that the car has " a seamless japanese auto box". what gearbox would this be? were there any problems with this box?

Nissan Qashqai - automatic gearbox - Ethan Edwards

Could be the conventional six speed auto or the cvt version. No issues that I'm aware of. Some like them some hate them. My 2 litre diesel auto 4wd Tekna version is quite ok to drive. Unless you post more details then nobody can answer more thoroughly.

Why not do a test drive and get the one opinion that really matters..Yours.

Nissan Qashqai - automatic gearbox - 72 dudes

It is the CVT in the 2.0 petrol.

Check you are happy with the engine revs soaring when you want acceleration.

In a CVT, there are no gears, so no kickdown for acceleration.

Also check whether this model had a "manual" option, i.e. phantom "gears" which can be selected manually for extra control options.

The CVT on my diesel A Class has this, so I can select 1st, 2nd etc, upto 7th gear at appropriate speeds.

If I remember correctly, the 1.6 CVT in the Qashqai and Juke did not have this feature.

Nissan Qashqai - automatic gearbox - Avant

Some CVTs do have a kickdown facility. Some years ago I had an Audi A4 2.5 TDI with 'multitronic' CVT which kicked down with very satisfactory results.

Nissan Qashqai - automatic gearbox - galileo

Some CVTs do have a kickdown facility. Some years ago I had an Audi A4 2.5 TDI with 'multitronic' CVT which kicked down with very satisfactory results.

When I had a 1970 Daf 55, if you floored the pedal it effectively 'kicked down' as the front driving pulleys had a connection to manifold vacuum. I would have thought that 45 years later, CVT's ought to respond in a similar way.

Nissan Qashqai - automatic gearbox - Ethan Edwards

We used to have a T30 2.5 Xtrail. That had a CVT box. Odd then that a 2003 Nissan CVT had "Gears" and Kickdown but then they bring out a newer version and remove these features? Or maybe some posters are making a mistaken assumption.

Nissan Qashqai - automatic gearbox - steelghost

My Avensis 1.8 has a CVT which acts like a "normal" automatic when you boot it - revs to 5000 or so before 'changing up'. But at part throttle it will do the CVT thing of constant revs, changing speed.

There is an in-between state where it is still acting like a CVT, but you're accelerating hard enough that it gets a little bit noisy. You can intervene with the paddles in this case though.

Since all modern car CVTs are computer controlled, it's simply a matter of how the manufacturer programmed the ECU...

Nissan Qashqai - automatic gearbox - gordonbennet

Do people have lead boots these days, all automatics will rev like hell if you stick your foot down, but on part throttle openings it should be controllable.

Part of the problem is that autos-with-slip of both TC and CVT have become popular mated to 4 cyl engines where they were once a rare choice, naturally aspirated 4 cyl engines in most cases sound frankly awful when revved (MB's feel different but the engine noise is well insulated), with a V6 or V8 attached many would find the sound enjoyable and i'm sure feel quite differently, certainly be an interesting experiment.

I drove a Primera 2 litre with a TC auto box regularly, whilst a lovely box to make any progress the engine obviously revved high and it sounded horrid, most off putting and spoiled an otherwise excellent car, always thought a supercharger/turbo set to low rev boost would have made that engine.

Our 3 cars are all 6 cyl TC autos, 1 inline 1 V and 1 boxer engine, all sound and feel quite wondrous in different ways when allowed to rev fully under power.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/09/2015 at 08:34

Nissan Qashqai - automatic gearbox - Avant

I agree with GB, although I'd add the word 'petrol' to "MB's feel different but the engine noise is well insulated)".