Saab 9-3 Vector Sport 2007 Tid - Occasionally smoke and acrid smell from exhaust - richf03

Please help. Occasionally my Saab gets very Smokey and its smells quite acrid. Then engine not shambles and the revs are slower to die down. After about 5 to 10 mins it clears and goes back to normal. No smoke and engine note back to normal. I don't know if my car has a dpf. If it has could it be regen?

Many thanks.

Saab 9-3 Vector Sport 2007 Tid - Occasionally smoke and acrid smell from exhaust - Railroad.

Specifically I don't know whether your car has a DPF or not, but given it's a 2007 model it is possible that it does. Equally possible is the DPF becoming blocked, and nearing the end of its service life. The system may be performing regenerations more than would normally be required to try to clear the filter. I would expect your problem to get progressively worse until the DPF is replaced, assuming you have one of course.

Failing that you could have a stuck open EGR valve. Try removing it and giving it a thorough clean before putting it back.

Saab 9-3 Vector Sport 2007 Tid - Occasionally smoke and acrid smell from exhaust - richf03

Many thanks for the reply. I know that some Saabs around this reg didn't have a dpf but not sure about mine. Would there be any indication on the dash to say its regen? Would a sticky egr cause a Smokey engine? I am mechanically minded but more petrol (motorcycles). Many thanks.