Hire cars - hillman

I rented a car from Belfast City Airport for a week. I did the booking through the internet. The website advertised the Skoda Octavia, and because I'm familar with the '05 model I plumped for that. But, the website had the caveat, 'or equal', and when I picked the car up I was given a Vauxhall Insignia. The car was quite different to anything I am used to in that it had 'bells and whistles' galore. IE,

The engine stopped at the first traffic light. I knew what that meant, so I wasn't worried.

When a car drew up alongside the proximity device signalled it. I'm accustomed to proximity devices at the rear, and I believe that they sometimes fit them at the front too, but along the sides !

The car had an electric parking brake !! If I had known before then I would have asked for a car with a normal handbrake. It took several days to become used to it; even then I didn't get to try a hill start (the countryside where I was is almost all flat).

The most useless things in the modern cars are 'Infotainment' systems. At the end of the week I had just found out how to change the radio away from BBC Radio2. I didn't dare try the SatNav.

There were several sheets of explanatory data in the car, but it was too brief and difficult to understand.

The worst part of the exercise was the sales pitch of the staff to get one to double the price by adding on insurance etc. The lads are very highly trained in psychology.

One word of praise for the model - the demist function for the screen was very good.

Hire cars - oldroverboy.

Off to Belfast end October.

Not bothering with Car rental..

From the airport to hotel and taxis for 2 days to the course swmbo is taking.

easier that way. and cheaper..

Hire cars - oldroverboy.

Off to Belfast end October.

Not bothering with Car rental..

From the airport to hotel and taxis for 2 days to the course swmbo is taking.

easier that way. and cheaper..

Thanks for the tips about the bus from the airport.

Thanks also for the tip about Edinburgh, Going 3rd dec...

Any suggestions for Berlin.. Schoenfeld?

As a little aside, have to do a complicated little trip end nov/beginning dec and avoided london berlin london edinburgh london, a certain airline can do the berlin edinburgh bit for £15.01 each and because i have booked everything berlin onwards from Germany is much cheaper.

Hire cars - Doc

The worst part of the exercise was the sales pitch of the staff to get one to double the price by adding on insurance etc. The lads are very highly trained in psychology.

You can get excess insurance much cheaper directly from on-line companies.

Quote from one company:

Some car hire companies offer a policy to remove that excess, but this may only be possible at the rental desk when you pick up your vehicle and it could add a significant amount to your car rental bill, depending on the length of the rental.

Buying ahead with Direct Car Excess Insurance could offer you a cheaper deal and provide car hire insurance with peace of mind that there'll be no excess to pay should you have an accident or if the car is stolen.

Hire cars - SteVee

I normally drive an old Nissan - petrol/manual etc.

I recently rented a Diesel Auto Audi A4 which had all the Bling of modern cars - EPB, Infotainment etc. Fortunately it also had the handbook :-)

I found the auto easy to use, and didn't mind the EPB, Start/Stop etc. The SatNav was also easy to use. Altogether, I quite liked the car - but would have not been able to use some of the features without the handbook.

No sales pitch for insurance etc - I was very happy with the rental process (it was a small, local rental place)

I would not want to own such a car (too complex).

Hire cars - kiss (keep it simple)

I have had numerous hire cars over the years, they were needed for my job. I agree with the complaint about the amount of toys and the time taken to get used to them. Mostly they are pretty good but there have been a couple of notable "features" which have driven me bonkers.

1. Electric parking brake. Not intuitive, we are so used to grabbing a big handle when we stop. Eventually got used to it and have no problems now with them.

2. Insignia. There are some buttons which I couldn't help touching when I changed to 3rd or 5th. I accidently turned on the satnav (and the radio off) a couple of times and had to pull over to sort it out.

3. Hyundai i30. 3 levels of power steering assistance. I couldn't make up my mind which one I preferred, so I kept changing it from Sport to Comfort to Normal.

BTW there is a very good bus service to the centre of Belfast from the international airport, cheaper than a cab if you are on your own and almost as quick.

Edited by kiss (keep it simple) on 17/09/2015 at 12:16

Hire cars - hillman

"Some car hire companies offer a policy to remove that excess, but this may only be possible at the rental desk when you pick up your vehicle and it could add a significant amount to your car rental bill, depending on the length of the rental.

Buying ahead with Direct Car Excess Insurance could offer you a cheaper deal and provide car hire insurance with peace of mind that there'll be no excess to pay should you have an accident or if the car is stolen."

Doc, the charge quoted was £23.00 per day and I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to steal the car.

Hire cars - Avant

"BTW there is a very good bus service to the centre of Belfast from the international airport, cheaper than a cab if you are on your own and almost as quick."

While we're at it, that's also true of both Edinburgh and Glasgow. Don't be tempted by Edinburgh trams: they also go from the airport to the city centre but take longer then the buses as they don't go there directly. The trams also don't get any priority in Princes Street, so are no quicker in the city centre.

Edited by Avant on 18/09/2015 at 16:45

Hire cars - hillman

We are so used to a locking petrol cap that when filling up before handing back the car we spent a considerable time looking inside the car for the trigger for the filler flap. It was only when I remembered cars of yesteryear that I tapped the flap and it opened to reveal an ordinary non-locking cap. I remember when stopping at traffic lights in Lusaka you had to watch your petrol filler because 'somebody' might remove the petrol cap and syphon out a gallon before the lights changed. It wasn't so much the loss of the fuel but they never put the cap back and procuring a replacement was almost impossible.

Hire cars - Avant

Most cars I've had recently have had a flap which locks and unlocks along with the doors. It's mainly Japanese cars which have a lever on the floor near the driver's door.

I test-drove a Volvo V60 recently and SWMBO and I were allowed out on our own for a couple of hours - so we put in some diesel....or tried to. I had to ring the dealer to find out how to unlock the filler flap - I think it was some switch on the dashboard.

I could have got used to that, but probably not the switch for the electronic parking brake. Bad enough having one of those devices in the first place - worse to have the switch a good stretch away dep down on the right hand side.

Edited by Avant on 18/09/2015 at 23:39