Golf Match 1.6 TDI - 51,000 too high 2012 plate - or should I buy DSG - VWlover

Hello,

Two questions.

I have the opportunity to buy two VW Golfs 1.6 Match 2012. The first one is a manual March 12 plate that is on sale for 10.5K but has 51,000 miles on the clock. Is this too high for a used car, should the price be lower?

If I didn’t go with this I could choose the later 2012 plate that has 30,000 on the clock but is £11,500 and is a DSG... Not too sure about DSGs as automatics are an unknown to me.

I have always been told to go low milage with used cars - but then is 51,000 miles low or high for a diesel. Is the price a rip off. It is a usal VW dealership with the warrenty and roadside assist etc but I'm concerned I will be paying for it later on. But likewise I might be paying for the DSG later on.

So to sum up. a) is 51,000 too high for the price or still a good buy b) DSG or not?

Any help most recived.

Thanks.

Golf Match 1.6 TDI - 51,000 too high 2012 plate - or should I buy DSG - csgmart

Hello,

Two questions.

I have the opportunity to buy two VW Golfs 1.6 Match 2012. The first one is a manual March 12 plate that is on sale for 10.5K but has 51,000 miles on the clock. Is this too high for a used car, should the price be lower?

If I didn’t go with this I could choose the later 2012 plate that has 30,000 on the clock but is £11,500 and is a DSG... Not too sure about DSGs as automatics are an unknown to me.

I have always been told to go low milage with used cars - but then is 51,000 miles low or high for a diesel. Is the price a rip off. It is a usal VW dealership with the warrenty and roadside assist etc but I'm concerned I will be paying for it later on. But likewise I might be paying for the DSG later on.

So to sum up. a) is 51,000 too high for the price or still a good buy b) DSG or not?

Any help most recived.

Thanks.

Contrary to urban myth a slightly higher mileage vehicle is sometimes better than a low mileage one, particularly if it's a diesel. Engines like to be used and not for short journeys where the engine never gets up to fully working temp.

If you read the Honest John car by car guide on Golfs on this site you will be amazed at the number of "bad" points. I happened to read the guide only yesterday and couldn't believe how many there were. Many of them pointing out problems with the DSG gearbox. If it's under warranty I would have one but out of warranty, no chance.

For what it's worth I wouldn't buy either unless they were seriously cheap and I most certainly wouldn't get the DSG as it will almost certainly go wrong at some point costing you many ££££. Just my opinion of course.

BTW just for the record I have nothing against VW cars. I have a 2001 Polo which is giving me sterling service (peanuts to run) and am just about to buy a Tiguan (with a hefty discount as new model just announced). It's a DSG but I will only keep for 3 years so no worries that it will go wrong out of warranty.

Edited by csgmart on 15/09/2015 at 22:29

Golf Match 1.6 TDI - 51,000 too high 2012 plate - or should I buy DSG - elekie&a/c doctor
I would not buy either,not so much regarding th Dsg gearbox,but more the fact that the 1.6 tdi engines are troublesome,with some very expensive repairs.Noteably egr valves and injector issues.
Golf Match 1.6 TDI - 51,000 too high 2012 plate - or should I buy DSG - daveyjp
Checking prices is easy. Do a search on the VW website and see if it appears reasonable for the age and mileage.

If the 51,000 mile car is thousands less than an equivalent model with average mileage it may be worth a punt. If its not why would you?