BMW 5 Series E39 - Power Steering Leak - Steveieb

The power steering reservoir needs to be topped up every month. And taking a look underneath there does not appear to be anthing leaking from the rack or pump.

The fluid is leaking from the offside front which is a mystery as the resevoir is on the nearside.

Are there any power steering pipes on the off side or anywhere else which woud explain the leak without dismantling the radiator air con assembly?

BMW 5 Series E39 - Power Steering Leak - skidpan

If it works OK just keep topping it up. We had a Blubird back in the 90's and it leaked for about 5 years but never gave any concerns and the only costs were the fluid and engine cleaner for the drive.

BMW 5 Series E39 - Power Steering Leak - colino

While you will have to narrow it down from the rack, the hoses, the pump, the reservoir or the cooler, all the bits are cheap on ebay and easy to fit. Only as a last resort would I use snake oil, but the Lucas one does work and as well as stopping leaks, is a good general conditioner that stops some systems moaning, like Jags for example.

BMW 5 Series E39 - Power Steering Leak - Steveieb
Thanks for your responses.

Do these models have a power steering fluid cooler . And if it is situated on the offside front of the engine bay could explain the leak.

Again ther are no leaks from the rack or pump.
BMW 5 Series E39 - Power Steering Leak - colino

If you follow the return line from the rack and it has a cooler, it will go to the front of the car. It's not like a radiator, just the metal line in the form of say a kettle element shape, and it returns from there to the reservoir. If you have a beemer, realoem is a great site for parts ID.

BMW 5 Series E39 - Power Steering Leak - corax

the Lucas one does work and as well as stopping leaks, is a good general conditioner that stops some systems moaning, like Jags for example.

If I was a steering system ensconced in a heavy Jag, I'd be moaning too.