Renault 1.8 16v laguna estate 2003 - Please help re Laguna - Baket boy
Hi,
I have never owned a renault but looking at the above, 130k on the clock cambelt done at 90k nearly full service history 1 owner 4 news tyres 2 key cards pretty much spotless inside and out 3months warranty £1000.
Is this worth it I know nothing about them it drives very well and every thing works as it should. Anyone has one or can give me an honest constructive advice please?
Thankyou

Edited by Baket boy on 19/08/2015 at 15:07

Renault 1.8 16v laguna estate 2003 - Please help re Laguna - skidpan

Buying any 12 year old car with 130,000 miles on the clock is a lottery, are you feeling lucky.

Some will say don't buy a Renault but at this age/mileage condition and history are more important than brand.

Why not get the car inspected before buying, won't garantee its trouble free but should highlight any expensive faults.

But £1000 looks quite a lot for a car of that age, its almost a throw away item. If it fails scrap it and start again.

Renault 1.8 16v laguna estate 2003 - Please help re Laguna - RobJP

First off, go to HJ's reviews section, and have a good read of the 'what's good/bad' part.

They can be very problematic. Electronics especially. In fact, a few years ago, a lot of used car dealers wouldn't sell them on, because they could cost a fortune to fix. So they just used to send them to the auctions.

Next, it's a £1000 car. Which means it's one step from being in the scrapyard. Which means anything can go wrong with it at any time.

Next, it's worth more like £500, at most. A friend of mine bought a 1.8 petrol hatchback (nice car, actually, good spec variant), 2002/52 plate, 80k miles, in the auctions in 2011 or so, and paid only £800 for it.

Renault 1.8 16v laguna estate 2003 - Please help re Laguna - veryoldbear

I had two Laguna Estates (Mk 1 version) as company barges and they were no better and no worse than most modestly priced estate cars. They're big, comfortable and get you around. Reliability was acceptable, in fact I bought the second one at the end of the contract and ran it up to about 170K before the gearbox gave up and fifth gear wouldn't stay in. No problems with electrics at all, maybe I was just lucky.

Edited by veryoldbear on 19/08/2015 at 15:48

Renault 1.8 16v laguna estate 2003 - Please help re Laguna - elekie&a/c doctor

Laguna 2 models are nothing but trouble.Avoid at all costs.£1000 for this is giving the dealer probably £800 profit.For this sort of money,go buy a Mondeo estate.Better deal all round.

Renault 1.8 16v laguna estate 2003 - Please help re Laguna - gordonbennet

There was a later model Lag estate on an 09 plate 1.8 petrol reasonable miler in good cond recently for sale @ £1800 at a dealer.

The model you are looking at is a lottery purchase for banger money only, hope it lasts you till the next mot, if it fails weigh it in, rinse and repeat.

Renault 1.8 16v laguna estate 2003 - Please help re Laguna - focussed

Renaults and most french cars don't have a particularly good reputation for reliablity in the UK. I've been bitten by a couple of Citroens myself years ago. So, living in france I would expect to see the roadsides littered with dead and dying french cars. The reality is no, I very rarely see a broken down french car of any marque. Don't know why, maybe they have a special touch with them or secret french-only software downloads!

Renault 1.8 16v laguna estate 2003 - Please help re Laguna - Fernando P

I have experience of Mk1 petrol and Mk2 diesel Lagunas and currently run the latter. The reason that the Mk2 has been (and still is) such a good vehicle for me is that I understand how it works and know how to look after it. I have also hired a 1.8 petrol Mk2 Laguna, which went well for me. My view is that if you are not mechanically minded and are unable to look after it, then look elsewhere. But that no doubt applies to many other vehicles of that description. On the other hand, there are lots of Lagunas of that vintage still looking good and in regular use.....!

Renault 1.8 16v laguna estate 2003 - Please help re Laguna - corax

Shame really, because the Laguna was a really refined, comfortable long distance cruiser, and I liked the looks.

Renault 1.8 16v laguna estate 2003 - Please help re Laguna - daveyK_UK

Its a piece of junk, probably the least reliable car made betwen 2000 - 2010.

Avoid at all costs.