suggestions - best roads for driving (Scotland) - guygamps

Hi, WRT Scotland, I have only ever been to Glasgow and Edinburgh, and in November will have an opportunity of a few days in Scotland. Would love to drive through some of the amazing scenery, stay in some lovely B&Bs, so suggestions of routes and suggestions of B&B,s

I will fly to Scotland and hire a car, so as well as route and B&B suggestions, I am also looking for suggestions alo for car hire, clearly November will not suit a convertible - was thinking of hiring a top spec Jag XF, so a lovely "drivers car" experience is sought all round.

Need to finish in Glasgow, but can start elsewhere (3 day break)

Guy

suggestions - best roads for driving (Scotland) - RT

North Coast 500 www.northcoast500.com/home.aspx

suggestions - best roads for driving (Scotland) - RobJP

The biggest problem with the far north-west of scotland is that quite a lot of places to visit, stay, etc. are seasonal. And November is most definitely out of season.

As we found out in 2002, when we went up in late October, and did something akin to that northcoast500 route (though we also went over to Orkney for a couple of days) Quite a few places closed, and quite a few getting ready to close.

We were in my old TVR Chimaera 450 at the time. The 'loud wee blue car', as it was described on more than one occasion !

suggestions - best roads for driving (Scotland) - Avant

North Coast 500 sounds lovely: it's new and I haven't tried it yet.

If you don't have time to go as far as the very north, try going north on the A82 to Loch Lomond, then on to Fort William and the A830 to Mallaig, known as the Road to the Isles. Take the ferry from Mallaig to Armadlae and see a bit of Skye, then bak over the bridge to Kyle of Lochalsh.

If time, detour on the A890 and see Loch Carron from the top of the hill. If you go round Loch Carron, the pass over to Applecross is spectacular. But if short of time, you can cut that bit out and come back on the A87 through Glencoe back to the A82.

An XF might be a bit big for the narrow roads. It depends on what is available for hire, but a 3-series might suit you better.

Edit - I agree with Rob: a lot of places may be shut, and it gets dark quickly. If you can go in October you'd find it more rewarding.

Edited by Avant on 14/08/2015 at 16:14

Use the Glenelg ferry to or from Skye - is the last operating manual turntable ferry in the world- it's a spectacular piece of road as well.

suggestions - best roads for driving (Scotland) - concrete

Hello guygamps, realistically 3 days is insufficient time to acomplish anything except to get a real taste for the west coast and some of the highlands. I worked up there for years and travelled Scotland extensively. For what it is worth, try this route.

From Glasgow cross the Erskine Bridge and follow the A82 up along Loch Lomond towards Tarbet. Keep following the A82 for Crianlarich, then Tyndrum, Bridge of Orchy heading for Ballachullish. You will go over Rannoch Moor and through Glen Coe. Cross the bridge at Ballachullish and see the fantastic drive along Loch Linnhe up to Fort William. That is a good run for a day with stops. I can thoroughly recommend a hotel at Kentallen, which is south of F William. So you have another lovely drive back down Loch Linnhe. The hotel is called The Hollytree, the rooms overlooking the loch are spectacular and no need to draw the curtains! The food is also excellent with seafood a big item, fresh from the loch. Next day head south towards Oban, nice little town, then head south again on the A816 toward Lochgilphead which is also a nice small town. Stay near there at the Cairnbarn Hotel which is very nice too. You can then explore the Crinan Canal and also do not miss going to Tayvallich, well worth the short drive. You can visit the grave of my uncle Willie who is buried in the small cemetery there. On your third day head out on the A83 for Inverary, a lovely drive along Loch Fyne. Carry on to Arrochar where you can join the A814 for a spectacular drive down Loch Long to Garelochhead then on to Helensburgh, which is worth a walk around, especially further back from the water front. Then you can carry on down to Dumbarton and pick up the A82 again for the Erskine Bridge. This gets you back to Glasgow Airport. Have a great trip. I really envy you, I loved my time in Scotland and miss it a lot, but now I am in Kent it is a heck of drive for me. Let us know how you got on and if you need any further assistance just ask.

Cheers Concrete

suggestions - best roads for driving (Scotland) - daveyjp
Good call from Concrete. Theres no doubt as you get further along the north west the roads and scenery get better. Loch Broom being my particular favourite and the Torridon Hills, but its a long way on such a short trip.

The suggestions are all excellent roads and in November you won't be troubled with dozens of coaches and caravans. Fort William also means you can make a call to Ben Nevis. We have been to Loch Lomond for the last three Christmas'. 27th December is our day out for a drive and we go to Oban, Glencoe or Inverary.

Another good area is around Loch Tay. Glen Lyon in particular is stunning at any time of year.

Just remember in November the days will be short.

Thanks for the very helpful responses

suggestions - best roads for driving (Scotland) - catsdad
Lot of good advice here. I've driven most of the main roads in the North West over the years and there is a lot of stunning scenery. I would however take slight issue with the North Coast route suggestion. The eastern and North coast sections of that route are comparatively much flatter and less scenic than the west/north west parts. So if considering that route I would strongly suggest only doing the west and north west sections.
Good call from Concrete. Theres no doubt as you get further along the north west the roads and scenery get better. Loch Broom being my particular favourite and the Torridon Hills, but its a long way on such a short trip. The suggestions are all excellent roads and in November you won't be troubled with dozens of coaches and caravans. Fort William also means you can make a call to Ben Nevis. We have been to Loch Lomond for the last three Christmas'. 27th December is our day out for a drive and we go to Oban, Glencoe or Inverary. Another good area is around Loch Tay. Glen Lyon in particular is stunning at any time of year. Just remember in November the days will be short.

That is the trouble daveyjp, so many places, so little time. I spent years working up there and reckoned I covered most areas and places of interest, but I would happily repeat the experience.

Cheers Concrete

suggestions - best roads for driving (Scotland) - daveyjp
I first visited over 30 years ago. A two week trip with my grandparents and we did Loch Lomond, Oban, Glencoe, Loch Ness, Aviemore, Edinburgh.

From that first visit I was captivated and if I don't visit for a couple of years get an urge to return. Over the last 25 years we have done a lot of the Country, some of it more than once, but there are areas we haven't done and definate areas we want to go back to. Now we have a daughter it is a good excuse to revisit them!

Last year we did Edinburgh, Skye, Islay and Loch Lomond. A couple of weeks ago we spent a week in Border country which, like Dumfries and Galloway, is a forgotten area for tourists and a pleasure to drive around and visit.

Still to do are Speyside and Angus and the far north east and every time we go to Skye (unfortunately spoiled since the bridge was built) the Outer Hebrides are tantalising close, but we are yet to visit.

It's also at least 20 years since we visited Torridon so its time we went back, but I know it won't have changed much.

Once retired we'll have a camper and spend a whole spring and summer touring.

If you have limited time to experience Scotland, try Edinburgh-Tobermory via Corran/Lochaline ferries.

Edinburgh is somehow quite different to any other city and if you only ever visit one Scottish Island, make it Mull as it's got everything.

I first visited over 30 years ago. A two week trip with my grandparents and we did Loch Lomond, Oban, Glencoe, Loch Ness, Aviemore, Edinburgh. From that first visit I was captivated and if I don't visit for a couple of years get an urge to return. Over the last 25 years we have done a lot of the Country, some of it more than once, but there are areas we haven't done and definate areas we want to go back to. Now we have a daughter it is a good excuse to revisit them! Last year we did Edinburgh, Skye, Islay and Loch Lomond. A couple of weeks ago we spent a week in Border country which, like Dumfries and Galloway, is a forgotten area for tourists and a pleasure to drive around and visit. Still to do are Speyside and Angus and the far north east and every time we go to Skye (unfortunately spoiled since the bridge was built) the Outer Hebrides are tantalising close, but we are yet to visit. It's also at least 20 years since we visited Torridon so its time we went back, but I know it won't have changed much. Once retired we'll have a camper and spend a whole spring and summer touring.

Moray Firth in the summer and Angus in the Autumn are good trips.

Don't leave getting a camper until retirement, most of the islands welcome wild camping with facilities at ferry terminals.

Ok thank you all, not surprisingly I have ended up a little confused.

The only "dead cert" is that I need to finish in Glasgow on Nov 14th, I don't have to start in Glasgow, indeed I would prefer not to. I have gone through the advice above, especially concrete's advice, and come up with this.

Wednesday : Fly to Inverness pick up a hire car and head for Loch Carron and onwards to Skye - suggestions for somewhere to stay on Skye?

tinyurl.com/o3k6ozz

Thursday: head off frokm Skye to Mallaig using the Ferry on to Fort William and if we can do it in a day finish at Loch Linnhe (stay at the Holllytree)

tinyurl.com/nms5org

Friday: Head off from Loch Linnhe to Oban via Ballychulish and from Oban on to to Lochgilphead (stay at the Cairnbarn Hotel)

tinyurl.com/psco5ul

Saturday: head off from the Cairnbarn hotel Inverary, Arrochar, Helensburgh, Erksine Bridge and on to Glasgow - arrive Saturday pm

tinyurl.com/pevaaov

JOB DONE

Thoughts?

Guy

Well done guygamps. Great itinerary, wish I could join you! As I suggested don,t miss out on a walk along the Crinan Canal and a visit to Tayvallich whilst at the Cairnbarn.

Enjoy, and be prepared to hooked on Scotland forever.

Best of luck

Concrete

One fly in the ointment, there are no flights to Inverness from Luton on Wednesday :-(, but I can make it work still flying Thursday, tweaking the itinerary and where we break for the nights.

Car hire options in Inverness seem a bit limited, usual fodder.

suggestions - best roads for driving (Scotland) - Bromptonaut

One fly in the ointment, there are no flights to Inverness from Luton on Wednesday :-(, but I can make it work still flying Thursday, tweaking the itinerary and where we break for the nights.

Do you have to fly from Luton? FlyBe seem to have a daily service rom Birmingham.

It has to be Luton,(our car will be there when we fly back and it is 20 mins from our house, Birmingham is too far with Luton on our doorstep - St Albans) So I have shortened it by a day, remembering the advice that it is out of season, and the days are short, I think we will skip Skye.

So now we are looking at starting and finishing at Glasgow. Thursday : fly to Glasgow, pick up car and head to Loch Linnhe, it looks like a lovely drive (either A84/A82 or the whole way) - it goes through the Troassachs National Park, I am sure it is lovely. tinyurl.com/ppm7mmm Friday as before: Head off from Loch Linnhe to Oban via Ballychulish and from Oban on to to Lochgilphead (stay at the Cairnbarn Hotel) tinyurl.com/psco5ul Saturday as before: head off from the Cairnbarn hotel Inverary, Arrochar, Helensburgh, Erksine Bridge and on to Glasgow - arrive Saturday pm tinyurl.com/pevaaov

By the way I did not mention before that once we arrive in Glasgow we are there for 48 hours for a family occasion as well, I know the city well and look forward to it.

So all in all we now look like having Thursday/Friday/Saturday on the road, arriving Satuirday evening in Glasgow and staying there til Monday Guy

Day 1 done, drove from Glasgow on the A82, along Loch Lomond and up to Glencoe mountains, and stayed over night at Hollytree Hotel on Loch Linnhe. Dramatic night with a storm (Abigial), making landfall here as we arrived.

Car hire is a Mercedes GLA, not impressed I am afraid, but that is another story.

suggestions - best roads for driving (Scotland) - catsdad
Nice to get a live update. It's blowing pretty hard here down south so I hope Abigail adds to the drama in a good way with spectacular seas but no journey disruption! Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Pity about the weather. Loch Linnhe is a picture when it is like a mill pond. Hope the Hollytree is as good as ever. Not been for a few years but same owners. The food was always very good, especially seafood. The rooms overlooking the Loch should have afforded quite a dramatic view when the weather is stormy. Maybe try again next Spring, before the midges are about. Cheers Concrete

it was a lovely special weekend, thanks all. I dont rate the Merc GLA mind you....

suggestions - best roads for driving (Scotland) - dadbif
Great roads, great countryside, but do you want to leat deep fried mars bars??
suggestions - best roads for driving (Scotland) - dadbif
Eat

I believe the custom is just to swallow them whole!!! Ughh!!!

Will they ever live down the deep fried Mars bar incident?

Cheers Concrete

I believe the custom is just to swallow them whole!!! Ughh!!!

Will they ever live down the deep fried Mars bar incident?

Cheers Concrete

Chippies cook everything like that up there - if you ask for a pie it won't just have been heated in the display, it'll have been done in the chip frier and be full of the cooking oil!