Bubblewrap - Henry the 9th

I, like most of us, receive goods protected by bubblewrap. I have never thrown such material away and now have at least four very large plastic sacks in my loft full of the stuff!

It would be a crime to throw it all away.

Please can anyone suggest a 'new home' for it where it could be put to good use?

I am in south Derbyshire and would be willing to deliver within a reasonable distance.

Bubblewrap - Leif

I have lots of wrapping materials too. You could use it as loft insulation.

Bubblewrap - KB.

I know you're speaking with tongue firmly embedded in cheek.

But the fact is people HAVE used bubblewrap and polystyrene and cardboard etc etc as loft insulation. It used to be not especially uncommon.

The trick is not to let your blowlamp fall over when plumbing in a new tank. The resultant conflagration won't impress the next door neighbour when his loft space becomes engulfed in flames as well as your own.

Bubblewrap - Chris M

Try your local charity shops. They sell ornaments and things which need protecting when sold.

Bubblewrap - Leif

Actually I was not joking, but I had not considered that it would create a highly inflammable layer, hence not a good idea. After all, it might just be an electrical fault that starts a fire, and you don't want it to spread like, errr, wildfire.

Bubblewrap - concrete

Most loft insulation materials, with the exception of Purlite/Vermiculite, Rockwool, and Isocyanurates, are not especially safe in a fire. These materials are generally a lot more expensive than alternatives such as EPS ( expanded polystyrene) Styrofoams( extruded polystyrene) and Glassfibre. However the cheaper ones will burn readily with the former two giving off very toxic fumes. However as most ceilings are at least half hour fire resistant it should allow time to evacuate. If you are still in a raging house fire after half an hour then I think it is good night Vienna anyway and you are past caring if your loft is a fire hazard. Bubblewrap and cardboard would still not be advisable as they would provide fuel any possible fire. Given that most people have all sorts of materials in their lofts that would provide fuel for a fire anyway it may be an academic point. One point about EPS, the white stuff available in sheets from builders merchants and the protection around your new television, sterio etc. Do not let electric cable rest on it or go through it. It causes the plasticiser in the PVC cable to migrate into the EPS and the insulation will harden and fall off, likely causing a short circuit or even a fire.

On the issue to hand I agree with the suggestion that a charity shop may welcome such a material for wrapping. Iy does also make good insulation protection for non hardy plants to over winter, either outside or in a greenhouse or potting shed. My friend has layers of it stapled to his shed walls to insulate form the cold.

Cheers Concrete

Bubblewrap - Engineer Andy

Using it as home insulation is not a good idea due to it not reacting well in a fire. I would also see (other than seeing if a charity wants it) if you can find a friend, relative or neighbour who is moving home, who would welcome the bubble wrap.

Note that most councils do not allow bubble wrap to be recycled (despite it often being made of the same plastic as bags [which mostly are allowed, depending upon the material they're made of]), as the trapped air makes them take up inordinate amountes of space in the recycling bins/transport lorries. The daft thing is that all that happens is that they get included with non-recyclable waste (same storage and transport issues, though probably only the council's problem) and dumped at the local landfill site.

Thank-you for the suggestion about charity shops.

I will try our local one and remain open to other suggestions.

Bubblewrap - Sofa Spud

Find lots of small unwanted things around your home and sell them on Ebay and use the bubblewrap to protect them.

Alternatively, why not hold a bubblewrap popping party?

Alternatively, why not hold a bubblewrap popping party?

Brilliant idea! I will put you on the guest list :o)

Bubblewrap - Trilogy

How about looking for someone who sells pottery or china? I sell pottery and always use bubble wrap. BTW, I live in Suffolk.

Thanks. I will bear that in mind next time I am in a shopping mall.