Golf sized auto - Keith of Kent

We have the DSG judder on our 200 Golf 1.4 so it has to go, I'm not spending £1300 for a new clutch pack.

What Golf sized cars have been available in the past 3 years with a torque converter box?

Does anyone know if the 2 litre petrol Golf DSG has problems? Don't want to go diesel as the car usually only does runs of about 10 miles

Golf sized auto - gordonbennet

Nearly all Korean autos are torque converter, as are some but not all Japanese.

BMW 1 series, though for peace of mind and pocket i'd rather put my money towards a Korean than German car these days.

Golf sized auto - 72 dudes

Does anyone know if the 2 litre petrol Golf DSG has problems? Don't want to go diesel as the car usually only does runs of about 10 miles

Less so, I believe, but not immune.

Citroen C4 has proper auto, but only 4 speed.

Some Civics have a proper auto, but not the 1.4 which has a jerky automated manual. However, I didn't like the choppy ride.

Auris was quite good, no experience of i30/Cee'd/Mazda 3.

As GB says, BMW 1 series may suit you.

Golf sized auto - John Boy

Citroen C4 has proper auto, but only 4 speed.

On one model only as far as I can see from the specifications on this website - the VTR+ 1.6i VTi 120 Auto 5dr. The site suggests it was to be discontinued in March this year. All of the others seem to have an automated manual box.

I could well be wrong though. Ascertaining the exact nature of "automatic" gearboxes seems to be a bit of a minefield.

And, come to think about it, the Auris has a CVT transmission, not torque convertor. Prior to 2013 it was an automated manual.

Golf sized auto - scot22

I have posted queries about automatic transmission systems on other threads. Whilst I would prefer one,there seems to be such a mishmash that it is quite a risky choice.

It would be intersting to know if there is any comparative data on costs/problems with manual compared to auto.

Leaving that aside a Focus appears a good choice.

... a Focus appears a good choice.

It's not what the OP is asking for i.e. the auto versions are Powershift dual clutch systems, rather than torque convertors.

Golf sized auto - Arbutus

The C4 can now be has with a 1.2 130PS Pure Tech 3-cylinder engine with an EAT6 which I believe is a six speed torque converter from the Japanese Alsin company.

It comes in Flair specification.

List price with a spare wheel is about £19,520 but Drive The Deal quote £12,758 saving £6,761

Here is a video review . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO2mIYL3Ui4

I think that the same engine and auto box is in the Peugeot 308 but this is more expensive.

The C4 can now be has with a 1.2 130PS Pure Tech 3-cylinder engine with an EAT6 which I believe is a six speed torque converter from the Japanese Alsin company.

Fairly sure this is an automated manual box.

Fairly sure this is an automated manual box.

It looks like it to me too. On this website you can only be sure (from Model designations) that it's fitted in some C4 Picasso models. Fuel consumption compared with the manual box suggests that the EAT6 might be a torque-convertor box. On the other hand, the Auto Express review (Google's your friend) of the C4 is seems to be saying that the box is jerky in operation. That doesn't sound like a torque-convertor.

How confusing this all is! I'm glad I'm not looking for a new car at the moment.

Golf sized auto - Avant

I think the Mazda 2 and 3 are available with torque-converter automatics.

I think the Mazda 2 and 3 are available with torque-converter automatics.

It seems so. Looking it up has made realise that the dead giveaway is to read the fuel consumption figures in the specifications. If the auto version uses more fuel than the manual, it's almost certainly a torque convertor. If it uses much the same or less, then it's highly unlikely to be a torque convertor.

Golf sized auto - scot22

Point taken John Boy. It was if there is not a car with a TC he would choose that is possible as a compromise.

You are quite correct John Boy re the C4 and Auris.

I was assuming, perhaps wrongly, that the OP was looking for a used car, and it was the 1.6VTi auto I was thinking of.

Most other PSA cars have the dreaded ECC/EGS automated manuals

The newer Auris is indeed a CVT but it's a good one. It doesn't rev stupidly when you require acceleration.

Golf sized auto - Keith of Kent
Want to buy low mileage used to avoid depreciation hit.
Had DMF problems on three 407's all 2 litre diesels,apparently many petrol cars now have DMF's.
Prefer autos anyway but don't want another with dsg or similar think a conventional torque converter box would be more reliable which would out-way any fuel saving on a less reliable dsg type box
Golf sized auto - expat

We have a 2009 Hyundai i30 2lt auto. It is great. Never any problems at all. My son has bought one also and it is good too. The auto box is a traditional torque convertor. Ours is a 4 speed but I believe the current model is a 6 speed box. We are very happy and would buy another any day except for the fact that the current one is built so well we expect to get another ten years out of it.

Golf sized auto - slkfanboy

Have tried a Hyundai i30 auto 4 speed and it burns petrol like know tomorrow. The 2015 has a DCT.(same as DSG)

Sadly VW have make dual clutch car a thing of nightmares. A Focus powershift user am aware that many users dislike them.

It's true that the box at lower speed need a smooth touch. But on motorway then lasy manual drive is left eating dust!

Golf sized auto - gordonbennet

A sales bod once defended satans automated manual box by telling me how good it was on the motorway, 'that'll be the motorway you sit for miles in top gear on then'...no he didn't get it.

Golf sized auto - Happy Blue!

How about a Prius? For ten miles each journey it could well save you money and they are very reliable.

Golf sized auto - Avant

Agreed - the Prius is well worth a look, and there's the Auris hybrid with the same mechanicals as the Prius, but nearer to Golf size.

72 dudes thinks that the new Auris CVT doesn't go to screamingly high revs when accelerating: good news if so as that was the one downside of the last Prius I tried, a few years ago now.

Actually there was another downside - a foul foot-operated parking brake. The Auris has a proper handbrake, so if I were going to go for a hybrid it would be the Auris Estate.

Golf sized auto - colinh

From Steve Cropley's column in this week's Autocar:

"Spent a deeply enjoyable weekend driving the Toyota Auris Hybrid, a car that escaped my notice until company bosses invited the Steering Committee and me to a Cotswolds event to sample the firm’s latest cars plus a collection of past greats. I’ve always liked Toyota’s values (whenever I’m asked what car to buy ,I say: “A Volkswagen Golf or any Toyota”), but I suddenly see that my unchanging picture of dependability is at odds with the progress recent models have made. This latest Auris is better looking than a Focus and more distinguished than a Golf. Its perceived quality is up there with the best, while on the move it’s one of those cars in which you forget to assess comfort, because there’s plenty. (Maybe if I ruled the Toyota world, I’d relax the damper rates a bit.) The Prius/Auris accelerator gets rightly criticised for not responding as quickly as many, and the powertrain for having no poke to spare, but even this concern disappears once you ‘get’ the car. Its job is to deliver exceptional efficiency and frugality, so why blame it for not being a Nissan GT-R?"

P.S. Declaration of interest - I'm on my second one

Edited by colinh on 04/08/2015 at 09:51

Golf sized auto - slkfanboy

You have hit the nail on the head. I my neck of the woods traffic moves quite slowly and may stay in Sixth gear while my auto changes from 4th - 6th as required saving fuel