Audi A3 8PA 1.9tdi 2005my - Loss of power steering after disconnecting battery - mak

Disconnected battery to remove airbox, battery and shelf to look at connection at ABS unit (trying to resolve another problem) and whilst I had room cleaned and replaced all earth contacts. Refitted everything and reconnected battery and now have no power steering, red warning light showing. I believe this has an electro-mechanical system. I am very sure that the earth points were put back as found and tightened. The live fuse is OK. Cannot get to garage for diagnostic scan as steering too hard to drive safely (pensioner). On top of existing problems (ESP) this car is turning into a nightmare. Would appreciate any help/advise.

Audi A3 8PA 1.9tdi 2005my - Loss of power steering after disconnecting battery - elekie&a/c doctor

If you are happy that all the earth terminals have been refitted (none left off),then the steering rack could be in trouble.You are correct ,these are an electro/mechanical system,same as Golf.Not a cheap fix.

Audi A3 8PA 1.9tdi 2005my - Loss of power steering after disconnecting battery - mak

Thanks for the reply. Going to check over all that I did just to make sure. Power steering was fine before I disconnected battery, would you expect this to pack up like this?

Found this in a VW Service Manual;

The steering system recognises and reacts to undervoltage. If the battery voltage falls below 9 volt, the steering assistance is switched off and the electromechanical power steering warning lamp illuminates red. If there are brief voltage dips below 9 volt, the electromechanical power steering warning lamp illuminates yellow. Does this mean that if you disconnect the battery, the power steering assistance is switched off? If so, would reconnection of battery turn it on or does this have to be done by diagnostics?

Edited by mak on 02/07/2015 at 17:30

Audi A3 8PA 1.9tdi 2005my - Loss of power steering after disconnecting battery - elekie&a/c doctor

I have had batteries disconnected from loads of Vag models with epas ,never had one fail completely .Often when they do fail,the steering only works on limited assistance.Have you tried to reconfigure any settings in the epas prior to battery disconnection?? I would get it on the diag system to see what is happening.