Diesel vs Petrol engine for mostly short journeys - JB1979

Hi,

We are looking at p/x our 11 plate Ford Focus (1.6 Zeetec 32,000 miles) for a larger car, probably a Mondeo, Octavia or Mazda 6 to deal with all the kids stuff we have to carry around. I have about 2K cash along with the p/x of the Focus.

I have always owned petrol cars, but notice that looking at the models above opening up to diesel gives a lot more options. However, my concern is that most of the time the car will ferry me to work and back in stop/start traffic for half an hour - then a weekend run every two weeks from Leeds to Middlesborough or Pontefract - with the occasional long run on holidays.

I guess my question is whether a diesel engine would be suitable for the short weekly commute (would it cause the engine any issues). I've always hed the opinion (rightly or wrongly) that diesel engines are best suited to frequent long journeys.

Am i right, or i should i consider the diesel engines in my pursuit of a bigger car?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Diesel vs Petrol engine for mostly short journeys - Andrew-T

As you are thinking of p/x-ing a 4-year-old car, I assume you are thinking of something newer. The current thinking on here seems to be to avoid recent diesel engines, which have a particulate filter. Those do not like a regime of short runs, unless you give them a (possibly aimless) occasional blast to induce regeneration of the filter. So go petrol, which may use 10-20% more fuel, but that is usually a few pence cheaper.

Thanks for the response.

I am probably looking at a car the same age, its simply boot space that is the issue. However, it useful to know about the particulate filter and i'll look to avoid and go petrol, just dissapointing as i notice that a lot of the bigger cars i am looking at tend to have diesel engines.

Thanks

Diesel vs Petrol engine for mostly short journeys - Bromptonaut

The OP is certainly in position where, all things being equal, the advice would be to go for petrol. Both prevalence of short journeys and overall annual mileage well under £10k point that way.

It appears though that all things are not equal. JB inds himself in position where there are many available options with diesel but reltively few petrols. Given he's looking at medium/large saloons and possibly estates where a large number will have been originally fleet or business purchases that is not surprising.

I doubt the Leeds to Pontefract sector would be guaranteed to keep the DPF healthy too short and too urban. Middlesbrough would though - but is that enough?

How often does a DPF engine need 'stretching' to keep the filter working properly?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 19/06/2015 at 13:09

Diesel vs Petrol engine for mostly short journeys - daveyjp

There is probably a wider selection of petrol MPVs, than 'repmobiles'.

Diesel vs Petrol engine for mostly short journeys - Wackyracer

I doubt the Leeds to Pontefract sector would be guaranteed to keep the DPF healthy too short and too urban. Middlesbrough would though - but is that enough?

How often does a DPF engine need 'stretching' to keep the filter working properly?

My diesel with the DPF can do a regen on the drive into town or back (approx 10 miles on a fast A road).

The interval depends on how it is driven sometimes it can be as far apart as 720miles and other times less. There is no obvious signs of when it is doing it, I can only check by looking at data stored in the ECU.

Diesel vs Petrol engine for mostly short journeys - coopshere
There are umpteen posts on this forum covering this question and virTually all the advice for your type of driving and annual mileage is to steer clear of diesel. This advice is also given by bodies such as the AA. The likelihood of there being problems with the DPF, DMF and fuel components is relatively high.

The reason there is a larger proportion of diesel engined cars available is down to the fact that most of them will have initially bed owned by company fleets who buy them at big discounts and then get rid of them before the related problems occur.

As has been suggested above you may find a better selection looking for a petrol MPV rather than a large saloon, hatch or estate and may even suit your family needs better.

Edited by coopshere on 19/06/2015 at 16:23

Diesel vs Petrol engine for mostly short journeys - slkfanboy

My diesel with the DPF can do a regen on the drive into town or back (approx 10 miles on a fast A road).

The interval depends on how it is driven sometimes it can be as far apart as 720miles and other times less. There is no obvious signs of when it is doing it, I can only check by looking at data stored in the ECU.

So you pay extra for the car/deisel and then it regens more often burning even more deisel , so unless you do very high mileage you save nothing. Then run the risk of DPF issues.

Thanks all for the responses. Will steer clear of diesel. Apologies hadnt realised this had been discussed so much before. Will close the thread if i can.

Diesel vs Petrol engine for mostly short journeys - Graham567

I have a Mondeo diesel with dpf and do mainly short journeys round town and the old trip on the motorway.In the 5 years i have owned it i have had no dpf problems.The Mk4 Mondeo has been proven to be one the better diesels to drive short distances.Dont believe the doom mongers on here.As long as you are aware of the dpf and take it for a spirited drive every 500 miles you will have no problems.It quite often does a regen while driving round town so people saying that you have to drive it on the motorway are liars.On the other hand Mazda diesels are renouned for their dpf problems.Get the Mondeo and you'll have no trouble.

Diesel vs Petrol engine for mostly short journeys - S40 Man

I reckon a Mondeo size diesel will be more fun and use less fuel than equivalent petrol car and be a lot easier to find. I have 08 2.0 Mondeo TDCI, its a nice car, reliable and economical. I always feel people overdo the situation diesel doomsday stuff.

Diesel vs Petrol engine for mostly short journeys - Avant

No need to worry, JB, this this topic has been discussed before - it's always of interest and relevant to a lot of us.

If you like your Focus, why not go for a petrol Focus estate? If you need more room, a Skoda Octavia would suit, and as a higher proportion of Skodas are bought privately, you've more chance of finding a petrol one.

Diesel vs Petrol engine for mostly short journeys - Hamsafar

I think the DPF problem hype is from 5-10 years ago, the makers have largely mitigated the old problems of the DPF being too far way from the engine and thus not hot enough by moving them much closer and using exhaust additives such as adblue - so they should regenerate passively.

If you are buying something released in the last few years, it should be much better or no problem at all.

Diesel vs Petrol engine for mostly short journeys - Gibbo_Wirral

And if the OP is in the habit of changing cars every few years it will be the next owner who will get the problems.

Diesel vs Petrol engine for mostly short journeys - skidpan

using exhaust additives such as adblue - so they should regenerate passively

Adblue has nothing to do with aiding regens, it added to reduce NOX emmisions. Its EOLYS that is addedto the diesel to assist reges and very few manufacturers have gone down that road.