mercedes sprinter cdi - broken engine ?? - nobody likes to be told that t

Hello! Can anyone help please? The last few days I've had a mysterious smell of burning rubber in my cab, starting about a minute or so after the engine is started & easing off as the journey progresses. Opening the bonnet didn't seem to reveal anywhere in particular the smell was coming from, though in the cab has bin getting a bit worse, so I tried not to use it. Today I removed the casing below the engine to look &change the oil & discovered the cause- sort of! Can anyone possibly identify what these vague bits can be please, something's melted & the following had fallen off into the casing!! Much obliged thank you!

ahh, no photo facility! I have some but don't know how to post here, so here goes : several melted plastic rings so presumably was one! 7cm diameter, one plastic cap, raised a bit in the middle 5cm diameter, with 8 small slits in the vertical sides if you lay it flat. metal circular ring 4cm diameter, 1 1/2 high with looks like bearing-racer track inside & 6 bearings about 1/2cm across !!

The engine still starts &runs (though I'm not using it) strangely! What can they be? Very vague shot in the dark I know! Thank you

Edited by nobody likes to be told that t on 17/06/2015 at 14:55

mercedes sprinter cdi - broken engine ?? - old-school-tech

sounds to me like the aux drive belt tensioner pulley or one of the idler pulleys has siezed and broken into pieces.

the burning smell would have been the drive belt across the tensioner pulley, if the pulley won't turn then it's gonna squeal and burn the belt.

should be straight forward enough.

Edited by old-school-tech on 17/06/2015 at 15:59