Knee joint problem -car choice - scot22

A friend of mine has a problem with arthritis, especially left knee. I know things always depend on specific details but I am wondering about a general principle.

It is considered better to keep using a joint, but should this be varied when driving ? Would it be better to eliminate need to use left leg for gear changing, i.e. go automatic, or is it better to keep going as long as possible with manual.

I do realise it is his personal choice but would like to hear othe views of others, particularly with personal knowledge.

Thanks

Knee joint problem -car choice - Hamsafar

I would have thought an automatic would be a godsend.

Knee joint problem -car choice - John Boy

I've faced exactly that problem. I have a short and bent left leg following a motorcycle accident fifty years ago and eventually got arthritis in the knee. I've been lucky enough to retire early and did various part-time jobs for pocket money. The last one was driving a Ford Transit minibus and I gave it up when my knee started to "clonk" as I pressed the clutch. It began to happen to a lesser extent in my car, so I decided to give my knee a rest by switching to an automatic and I haven't regretted it.

Some manual cars, however, have incredibly light clutches - the original Hyundai i20 is one that springs to mind. I could have switched to one of those, but I suspect it would just have been a temporary measure.

I don't buy this "keep going as long as possible" idea - I think my legs get plenty of use in everyday life. I've managed to reduce the general pain in my knee using various methods. The most important, in my opinion, was simply to lose some weight. Pick up a couple of bags of sugar and imagine them pressing on the joint surfaces in your knees! Unfortunately, when you've got arthritis, it's hard to use exercise to lose weight. I did it by changing my diet.

Thank you both for your quick and helpful replies. Not having the problem personally makes it difficult to give advice.

Hope you don't mind me asking but what car do you drive John Boy ?

Knee joint problem -car choice - Bromptonaut

I'd have thought repeatedly pressing a heavy clutch pedal wouldn't help and neither would it meet the regular exercise criteria - too repetitive.

Knee joint problem -car choice - barney100

I remember a football player a ew years ago got a Ferrari, he got knee problems and it turned out to be the heavy clutch on the car. Auto would seem the best solution for your friend to make life easier.

... what car do you drive John Boy ?

Being a tightwad, I downsized so that my fuel bill would remain the same. I had a Vauxhall Astra Mk4 and went down to an Agila B (same as a Suzuki Splash). Choice of the Agila was partly influenced by the fact that my other half was having difficulty getting down into the Astra.

We also looked at a Hyundai i20 (too low and seats too short), Hyundai ix20 (too thirsty), Toyota Verso 2009-2013 (good on fuel, but would take us 5 years to recoup the higher initial cost, compared to the Agila).

The Agila has proved a good choice for us. Fuel economy is exactly the same as the Astra. There's more room inside than you'd expect and it has comfortable seats. I've always been really good at reversing and parking, so it was a real shock to find that that it's very hard to quickly park this car straight in a parking bay or parallel to a kerb. That's because it has curved sides so you can't see enough of the car in the door mirrors.

I like people who look for value. It's a useful post. My parking could do with improvement so I'll check that out carefully with the Agila.

ix20 had appealed but mpg could be a concern.

Thanks again.

Knee joint problem -car choice - RobJP

My mum has, over the last 5 years, suffered more and more with knee problems (she's now 75). So much so that when she last changed her car about 12 months ago, she went for an automatic.

She says it has been a godsend. She is more willing to drive, she does not suffer with knee pain anywhere near as much after driving (making days out far more enjoyable), and if driving in the evening she isn't awake half the night in agony from it.

Thanks Rob, I think I now know enough to advise him. Need to get the right one for him and when I need to drive it I can park without a problem ! Could you let me know what car your mum has ? thanks

... I think I now know enough to advise him.

Presumably you know that there are various types of "automatic" gearboxes. If not, HJ describes them here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/automatic-transmissions/

Don't take my summary on that page as gospel. I lost interest, after some negative comments, before I'd finished it.

Thanks for the extra help. All the different types of auto is confusing. I wonder why some people seem to feel the need to be negative.

Knee joint problem -car choice - hillman

I have had a knee problem and very painful it was too. I think that mine is not arthritis but using the knee in a way it was not designed for. I found that I was getting out of the car with my right foot on the ground and standing up, thus putting the knee under torsion. When I realised that I schooled myself into turning in the seat and putting both feet ont ground before standing up.

Several friends have had the same problem. It might be the right knee for drivers or the left knee for people who are normally passengers. When the friends were passengers in my car and I told them to put both feet on the ground before standing up I got a few grumbles, and in some cases had to repeatedly remind them, but eventually their problem cleared up.

Thanks for this useful advice - appreciated. Everything that can help a situation is worthwhile.

Knee joint problem -car choice - gordonbennet

My previous work on car transporters has caused me, or exacerbated, joint problems.

We don't drive manual cars by choice, all three cars are torque converter autos, and all our modern fleet of lorries for my work are automated manuals (the work of the devil), but gearchanging itself doesn't cause me problems well certainly not on a modern vehicle, some of the old lorries i drove you seriously needed to use both feet to hold the unassisted clutches down in traffic sometimes.

It's entry and exit from cars that makes the difference, both height and door length, and up to a point seat materials.

The raised height of a higher MPV or 4x4 makes the world of difference, higher the better, literally just rest your bum on the seat and swivel in/out, the alternative of cambering out from a laid back type position in a low is seriously strenuous.

Coupes and sports cars the worse by far, oddly enough the little Mazda MX5 is fine, but for me to get out of Peug 307/308CC or BMW Z4 must have been hilarious to see, i'd have to put one hand on the ground clamber out from under the roof and steering wheel, sort of limboing over the huge sill on the Beemer and then once out, twisted,, straighten meself up again, getting in was dive for it and drag me right leg in afterwards.

Which beggars another problem, 3 door cars/coupes with huge doors, not only long but stupidly thick and convex to accomodate styling and supposed safety, in the confined space of a car park you can be trying that exit out of a 18" maximum gap behind your right ear, ideally you need the window open whilst you do this as it give room for your shoulders, so frameless windows better on such designs...you should try this when delivering left hand drives where you, as the driver, are unpracticed in the art of prying yourself from under a left hookers steering wheel where you can only open the door a fraction because of safety rails or support posts.

This again made worse by the fashion of narrowing the roof line effectively making the door wider still.

Then if course, sporty cars have to have sporty seats which hug you in place in case you might actually drive it sportily one day, therefore even the leather seats are shaped to keep you in, if they're shaped and buffed leather like a chamois they glue you in place, even the cloth acts like a brake.

You might laugh but the easiest vehicle i've ever driven, including entry and exit, were the Hilux we owned before and the present Landcruiser, just slide in and out, both torque converter autos with silky smooth auto boxes, SWMBO has always maintained that the Hilux was the nicest vehicle to drive she's ever known and she's driven hundreds, the obvious height advantages pay off as did huge door mirrors and the excellent turning circle considering its length, switchgear and control simplicity just the icing on the cake.

I doubt the subject of the discussion wants anything quite so large, but i'd certainly get them to try something higher than normal with a proper TC or CVT auto box, 4 door for shorter doors and non sporty so ensible seats.

Forester sort of thing maybe.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/06/2015 at 21:05

Knee joint problem -car choice - Bromptonaut

The raised height of a higher MPV or 4x4 makes the world of difference, higher the better, literally just rest your bum on the seat and swivel in/out, the alternative of cambering out from a laid back type position in a low is seriously strenuous. .

Well up to a point Lord Copper...

If your legs are short then there's a height at which your bum never touches the seat and you cannot swivel in. At that stage swivelling out is academic :-)

My Mum at 89 and with dodgy hips and knees cannot get into my 2013 model Berlingo for on account of her bum being too close to the ground. Her late cousin's late husband described the problem, present in his wife's genetics too, as duck's disease....

Knee joint problem -car choice - gordonbennet

Duck's disease...Bromp, in the words of the Dick Emery, you are awful but i like you.

My mum was fine in my previous Landcruiser after her hip replacement, i just kept a caravan doorstep in car so she could step aboard like royalty.

Yes of course height is important, maybe the seat base should be at bum level.

Many thanks GB for a full and very helpful post, as usual. Its an interesting point about height for getting in which we've never talked about.

Price and size wise he seems to be leaning towards a Hyundai ix20 auto or maybe Mercedes W169 CVT. Obviously now needs to find right car at right price - don't we all !

Knee joint problem -car choice - Andrew-T

Thank you both for your quick and helpful replies. Not having the problem personally makes it difficult to give advice.

It's going in a different direction, but one cure for arthritic joints is a replacement. Knees and hips are routine surgery and nearly always successful - SWMBO now has almost a full set: two knees, two shoulders and one hip. I have just one arthritic ankle, but as yet I am not persuaded of the efficacy of replacing that, it's more unusual.

When SWMBO's left shoulder became troublesome, we were on the point of switching to an auto to avoid gear changing. After the new joint she is back to comfortably driving the manual.

Knee joint problem -car choice - Smileyman

if access to a car is difficult try a 3 door car, the doors often open wider and this may give the extra space required to make entry / exit easier

As for driving, I would think it will be safer to use an automatic, remember the emergency stop is an important part of driving so anything that reduces pain will make the driver a safer driver

Edited by Smileyman on 13/06/2015 at 22:54