2008 Mazda 2 Sport 1.5 - Should I service my car ? 4k miles last year - model_floe.0t

Hi All,

Looking for advice. I have a 2008 Mazda2 that has covered just over 30k miles. I have been running the car without issue for the last three years, and have covered about 8000 miles in total, short journeys to work etc. I have put the car through its annual service for the last two years as required by Mazda at a Mazda garage. I'm wondering, with the car at nearly 8 years old and only having covered relatively few miles both in total and the past twelve months, (office move meant commuting wasn't needed) is it really worthwhile having the full service carried out ? Service and MOT will be about £200, and I've already got it booked in the garage prior to the MOT and service to have two new front tyres. Would it likely be ok to skip a years service, or at least leave it another six months and maybe another 2k miles before the next service ? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

2008 Mazda 2 Sport 1.5 - Should I service my car ? 4k miles last year - alan1302

Definitely keep up with the servicing if you want it to remain trouble free especially with you doing lots of short journeys in it.

2008 Mazda 2 Sport 1.5 - Should I service my car ? 4k miles last year - Happy Blue!

Service? Definitely, but no need to use a Mazda dealer. Find a good independent agent to follow the basicservicing requirements.

2008 Mazda 2 Sport 1.5 - Should I service my car ? 4k miles last year - gordonbennet

Just as important to service the car, and given its low annual mileage arguably more so.

Not just an oil change and quick look over either, make sure the garage is going to service the brakes properly by removing the pads and lubing the caliper sliders etc...HB's excellent suggestion of a good indy workshops (please not a fast fit chain) is where you will usually find this type of proper servicing.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/06/2015 at 06:55

2008 Mazda 2 Sport 1.5 - Should I service my car ? 4k miles last year - model_floe.0t

Thanks all for the advice so far, appreciated. I think I will transfer the service and MOT from the dealer to a smaller garage, make sure it gets what is needed, hopefully it will be a bit cheaper too !

2008 Mazda 2 Sport 1.5 - Should I service my car ? 4k miles last year - hillman

I'm surprised that the service is at one year intervals. I would say six months maximum, especially as the car get such little use. The rear brakes must be heavily corroded and the sump may be full of mayonnaise.

2008 Mazda 2 Sport 1.5 - Should I service my car ? 4k miles last year - concrete

Agree with previous comments. Service at least once a year. With low mileage this should just mean oil and filter one year, full service the next. SWMBO used to have her own car. It got to be ridiculous, one year she did 690 miles, the next 800. So we got rid. But even then I had it serviced once a year prior to the MOT. We do rely on these machines and anything that puts the odds against a breakdown in your favour is worth doing.

Cheers Concrete