Vauxhall Agila - CLUTCH FAILS AT 60 MPH - WHAT WOULD HAPPEN? - Jackhammer

Hi

Could anybody tell me what would happen if a clutch failed at 60 mph?

Thanks.

Vauxhall Agila - CLUTCH FAILS AT 60 MPH - WHAT WOULD HAPPEN? - skidpan

You would die in an horrendous fireball.

Vauxhall Agila - CLUTCH FAILS AT 60 MPH - WHAT WOULD HAPPEN? - Jackhammer

Am I sensing a touch of irony?

Vauxhall Agila - CLUTCH FAILS AT 60 MPH - WHAT WOULD HAPPEN? - old-school-tech

Not much would happen, depends how it fails:

If it was slipping and finally lost all drive (total wear) then you would just lose acceleration and come to a slow steady stop, but you will have warning of this because it will probably have been slipping for a few days before hand.

If the pressure plate or release bearing failed then it would just be very difficult to change gear

If the hydraulics gave up then again difficulty in changing gear, but you could still drive in the gear its in (unless you had to change gear for a hill etc)

to be honest, while your cruising along at 60mph presumably in the one gear, its very unlikely the clutch will fail, usually it will wait until you start using it.

If your clever and know how to synchronise the gears you can easily drive without a clutch pedal at all, I've driven hundreds of miles in a car with no clutch pedal.

Vauxhall Agila - CLUTCH FAILS AT 60 MPH - WHAT WOULD HAPPEN? - skidpan

Bet he does not believe you, been telling him this for 2 hours.

Vauxhall Agila - CLUTCH FAILS AT 60 MPH - WHAT WOULD HAPPEN? - old-school-tech

Bet he does not believe you, been telling him this for 2 hours.

Some people just worry too much..

sell it and buy an auto if clutch failure keeps you awake at night :)

Vauxhall Agila - CLUTCH FAILS AT 60 MPH - WHAT WOULD HAPPEN? - Andrew-T

(deleted)

Edited by Andrew-T on 04/06/2015 at 10:40

Vauxhall Agila - CLUTCH FAILS AT 60 MPH - WHAT WOULD HAPPEN? - pcvpilotmick

Jackhammer, since you are obviously worried about it, why not contact your breakdown service provider (assuming you have one) and see if they would be prepared to relay the car back to the dealer you bought it from?

Alternatively, pay an independant party to tow/trailer your car for you?

Personally, I would just drive it there, its made it to home, no reason why it won't make it back. Just because you have been told it MAY fail, doesn't mean that it WILL fail.

I had a Maestro van a long time ago, the clutch cable snapped on it and I managed to make it to my destination just by carefully synchronising gears crash box style. I got the AA to make a temporary repair to it, who duly told me to get it fixed properly ASAP. I never bothered and the temporary repair was still holding out 8 months later when the van was scrapped.