Audi A4 - Identical Fault code 65535 on ABS & Airbag Audi A4 - PK_MAK

Hi Honest John and Co,

I apologize in advance for this long email but I have tried to provide as much information as possible so as to get the right advice for my car.

I have a 15 year old Audi A4 1.9TDi SE (automatic tiptronic, 4 door saloon, B5 model, engine code AJM, 85KW, 115bhp, on a 2000 X plate with 100,000 miles on the clock, VIN= WAUZZZ8DZ1A052193, Model Designation 8D2 OFK 3526492) which has the following warning lights present on the dashboard:

1. Red Airbag warning light permanently on after ignition and whilst driving.

2. ABS (Anti-lock Brake System) warning light which stays on after ignition and whilst driving. Then on some days this light will not appear at all on the dashboard for the entire journey and on some days appear after braking at traffic lights and stay on for remainder of the journey.

3. ESP (Electronic Stability Program) warning light comes on at the same time as the ABS warning light and stays on after ignition and whilst driving. Then on some days this light will not appear at all on the dashboard during the entire journey and on some days appear after applying the brakes in traffic and then stay on for the remainder of the journey. No other warning lights appear when the ABS and ESP light comes on (except the Airbag warning light).

The VCDS (VAG COM) scan on the ABS Brakes identified fault code 65535 (Internal Control Module Memory Error 35-00). Other information from the VCDS scan on the ABS are as follows:

Component = ABS/ASR 5.3 Front D00

Coding = 00011

Part Number = 3BO 614 111

Label = 8EO 614 111 ASR.lbl

Shop # = WSC 06435

VCID = 53A565D9A194C3B983D-5140

I also have the same fault code 65535 (with 00-10 intermittent) for the Airbags from the VCDS scan. There are 4 airbags (1x front driver, 1x front passenger, 1x side air bag driver side and 1x side airbag front passenger).

The log of VCDS scan fault code 65535 on the Airbags sub-section states its intermittent (code 00-10) but the Airbag warning light is on permanently.

Other information obtained from the VCDS scan on the airbags is as follows:

Airbag label= 8DO-959-655-AI8.lbl

Airbag part no.= 8DO 959 655J

Coding = 01104

Shop #= WSC 06435

Component = Airbag front + Seite 1001

VCID = 3D71236137025C9459-517C

As a side note I ought to mention that before I had the Airbag and ABS light issue I used to get a "short circuit" every time I used to charge my mobile phone in the car via the cigarette lighter socket. As soon as the phone charger was connected and at some point I applied the brake pedal then there would be a single loud beep followed by a red warning light on the dashboard referring to the rear brake light bulb. The warning light on the dashboard would then stay on until the phone charger was removed.

On longer car journeys with repeated braking the rear brake light bulb would actually blow and need replacing. I changed the mobile phone charger several times but I still got the same issue as mentioned above. In the end I just stopped charging my mobile phone via the cigarette lighter socket. I wonder if this contributed to the ABS and perhaps even the Airbag fault codes?

I should also mention that I checked the ABS and ESP fuses in the fuse box (which was located at the end of the dashboard on the drivers side) and to my amazement I found the fuse slots at position 16 for Anti-lock brake system and ESP (5amps) missing as were the fuses at position 41 for Anti-lock brake system (hydraulic modulator/pump (25amps) and at fuse position 42 ESP (25amps). When I telephoned my local mechanic he said that I should not be worried about them missing from the fuse box as they are probably in another second fuse box but could not say where that was.

Is it possible that the missing fuses for the ABS and ESP are the cause of the VCDS fault codes for the ABS?

Also is it possible you could tell me where exactly is the location of second fuse box that contains the fuses for the ABS and ESP?

The other thing that has been troubling me is that the Airbag warning light came on in August 2014. When I checked my Audi Owners Manual and Audi Service Schedule I noticed that both manuals stated that the Airbag warning light will appear on the dashboard 14 years from the date of manufacture of the car (see attachment to this email). The car was manufactured August 2000. Audi recommend renewing the Airbag system at 14 years as part of the service schedule. Two Audi dealerships have quoted me between £3000 and £6000 to renew the Airbag system for my car.

Based on their costly estimates should I just consider scrapping my car altogether and cut my losses and not even consider trying to repair the ABS issue? Although a part of me loathes the idea of scrapping my car as I firmly believe in repairing and recycling of all goods for as long as economically possible and besides the car runs very smoothly and has given me trouble free motoring for 7 years.

I welcome any expert opinion and advice on the ABS and Airbag problems identifed from the VCDS fault codes.

Many thanks.

Audi A4 - Identical Fault code 65535 on ABS & Airbag Audi A4 - elekie&a/c doctor

I think you have 2 faults here.The abs/esp is a control module fault(common issue on this age of car fitted with Bosch system).Can't see it being a fuse fault otherwise the problem would be permanent.As for the airbag system,It would appear to be an internal fault within the airbag control unit,or power/earth supply to it.From an economic point of view,probably not worth fixing,as both are expensive jobs and mot fail points.Take a look here;wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/65535

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 02/06/2015 at 23:03

Elekie&a/c doctor, Thanks for the advice and helping to eliminate the fuse box as a potential cause of the abs and esp fault.

Audi A4 - Identical Fault code 65535 on ABS & Airbag Audi A4 - Steveieb

Hi PK. Have an A4 with an 03 plate and would like to know if you managed to resolve the problems.

Surely there are loads of Audi s older than yours running around which have not had airbag replacements. Is the handbook correct or is it a safety warning that dosn't happen in real life ?

Hi Steveieb, I have not resolved my problem. So far I have had replies from just two airbag companies who have said that the VCDS fault code 65535 means I have to change just the airbag control module (located behind the radio/cassette/cd player and climate control unit) and not change the entire airbag system.

Both companies have suggested I buy a brand new one from AUDI dealership for £482 or buy a reconditioned or used one (making sure it has been tested, reset and recoded) from Ebay (prices range from £79 to £161) or buy one from a scrapyard making sure it has the same part number as my old one. With the latter there are obvious risks associated i.e the airbag module may have crash data and /or have deployed the airbags already etc.

Airbags.co.uk will charge around £120 plus VAT to remove and fit an airbag module.

According to AUDI forums in UK and America the airbag fault code (65535) appears to be quite a common problem with the Audi A4 (B5 model) and usually means changing the airbag control module. Some Audi forum members stated that Audi "upgraded " the airbag module at a later date to prevent the fault re-appearing with replaced modules.

As far as the AUDI Handbook is concerned about replacing the entire airbag system after 14 years it seems to me that perhaps AUDI are just being cautious and covering their "legal" backs.

So far, neither of the two companies that I have contacted (except the Audi Dealship) has mentioned the need to replace the entire airbag system because of the fault code 65535 or that the car is 15 years old. And yes there are quite a few Audi A4's on the road that are older than mine and still being driven daily and I am sure they did not replace their entire airbag system after 14 years. I just cant seem to find an independant garage who hascome across this issue in my area.

I also came across articles in some AUDI forums where the appearance of the fault code (65535) in one module can cause the same fault code to appear in anther module because the two modules are related to each other. This could explain why I have the same fault code (65535) in my Airbag and ABS control modules. The trick (according to one forum member) is then ito find out which module is really at fault and save yourself having to buy and replace both modules. At the moment I am looking into this but cant seem to find how to test this theory out.