Holiday Estate? - ElPedro

I'm looking for an Estate car to travel round europe in this winter/next year.

I am after a diesel and i have a budget of £3000.

I have given google a run for its money with questions and i have come up with some options.

Volvo V50

Volvo v70

Saab 9-5

It needs to be comfortable and lots of space. When i am not globe trotting in it my wife will be driving it 30 miles a day to work.

So what im asking if any of these stand out? If so what should i be looking for and what milage should i be happy with?

Holiday Estate? - elekie&a/c doctor

What about a mondeo estate.Should be able to pick up a 2008 (new shape)1.8 tdci for that sort of money.Exactly what you want,comfotable and loads of space,with plenty of spares available new or s/hand.

Holiday Estate? - ElPedro

That sounds great. I will have a look. What sort of milage am I after.? I know as low as possible but what's an ok area?

Holiday Estate? - S40 Man

I have 2.0 tdci mk4 Mondeo. I bought at 100k now on 150k with no reliability issues. I used to have s40 (saloon of v50) which was nice inside but Mondeo is the better car. Can fit loads in it and it drives well. HJ gives it 5* for a reason.

Holiday Estate? - oldtoffee

I'd consider a Skoda Octavia 1.9 tdi estate, as spacious as a Mondeo and very economical. That and the Mondeo would be the only 2 cars on my list.

Holiday Estate? - Snakey

The only caution I have about the Mondeo is the seats. I found them hard and aggravated my backache - but that it down to individual preferences.

I bet the Volvo and Saab options are comfortable for most people though, they seem to be renowned for it!

Holiday Estate? - S40 Man

Your spot on about seats. My old s40 had really comfy seats and I did get a week of backache when I swapped to Mondeo. Soon got used to it though (all good now)