Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - Leif

Today I was going round a roundabout, maybe 15 mph, cars behind quite distant, so I decided to turn a bit sharper than normal, to test the grip. Altghough it was a public road, I didn't think I was doing anything dangerous, just not as smooth as usual. Anyway, the rear wheels completely lost grip, and back end was freely sliding to the left. This time I was able to recover from the skid, by steering to the left, and regain control. The road surface was moist, it'd been raining moderately for about half an hour, but nothing unduly wet.

I have zero confidence in these Kumho KH27 tyres, they are dangerous. Straight line braking is fine, transverse grip is poor. Ever since they were fitted, a month ago, I've sensed a hard to define lack of grip when cornering, and today just confirms that suspicion.

So, avoid Kumho tyres is my advice.

Now I need to fit some proper ones. Probably Hankooks, the eco ones I had were decent enough.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - slkfanboy

I see quite a lot of post like this, roundabouts get oil and all sort on them then i rains and complain there tyres are no good.

Wet road pose hidden issue, that nee to be taken into consideration.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - Ordovices

I decided to turn a bit sharper than normal, to test the grip

it was a public road

- and you have lost confidence in your tyres?

When you test something, you might expect that the test will provide a result, you had obviously decided you knew what the result would be. Guess what? You were wrong.

I didn't think I was doing anything dangerous

turns out you were.

I decided to turn a bit sharper than normal, to test the grip

it was a public road

- and you have lost confidence in your tyres?

I don't think you can read. All I did was turn a bit more sharply than usual, nothing unusual, no race track style driving. And I was going slowly too.

When you test something, you might expect that the test will provide a result, you had obviously decided you knew what the result would be. Guess what? You were wrong.

I didn't think I was doing anything dangerous

turns out you were.

I don't think you can read. I have for weeks sensed something is not right when cornering with these tyres. Previous tyres were okay. I'd rather find out safely that they are not good, than swerve to avoid an obstacle, such as a drunk pedestrian staggering into the road, and then find out that the car loses control and kills the pedestrian, or hits another vehicle.

I have seen someone skid like I did today. In that case it was a sports car, and the young driver took a corner far too fast, boy racer style, with his foot flooring the accelerator. The skid was not surprising. A car should not skid at low speed as I did today.

It appears that tyres do significantly affect handling.

And please stop being a patronising moralist when you clearly cannot read. Thanks.

I see quite a lot of post like this, roundabouts get oil and all sort on them then i rains and complain there tyres are no good.

Wet road pose hidden issue, that nee to be taken into consideration.

I have done 60K miles in this car, almost all on other tyres. Only when I bought these tyres did I start having issues. Since I bought them cornering has not felt right. I had one potentially very dangerous skid a few weeks ago, and I was not driving unwisely, unless everyone down here is a loony. I did think it was a diesel spill or similar. Now I am convinced these tyres have poor transverse grip.

I have done 60K miles in this car, almost all on other tyres. Only when I bought these tyres did I start having issues. Since I bought them cornering has not felt right. I had one potentially very dangerous skid a few weeks ago, and I was not driving unwisely, unless everyone down here is a loony. I did think it was a diesel spill or similar. Now I am convinced these tyres have poor transverse grip.

Clearly the definition of wisely depends on your view point. The times i've skided a few and always what i would consider miss calculations on my part. No a fault car or tyres.

Clearly the definition of wisely depends on your view point. The times i've skided a few and always what i would consider miss calculations on my part. No a fault car or tyres.

I have skidded before due to error on my part e.g. going down a steep hill on an icy day. In the case of the skid a few weeks ago I do not think my driving was unwise. In a video you can see the car to my left turning left, cornering far more sharply than me, at the same speed as me, or faster and not losing control. I subsequently watched other cars on the same roundabout (a very large one), and my speed was modest. It seems you cannot believe that tyres can noticeably affect handling, my view is that they can.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - Brit_in_Germany

It would have made sense to tack this onto your earlier dashcam thread.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=109189

It would have made sense to tack this onto your earlier dashcam thread.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=109189

The problem with this forum is that threads are hard to use when the get long, particularly on an ipad, hence the new thread.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - old-school-tech

from 30MPH you managed to do a complete 360 degree spin?

I'm not sure I would be so quick to condemn the tyres, they might not be michelins, but khumo tyres are still bound to the same safety regulations, there are many other factors that determine how well your car holds the road, tyre pressures, shock absorbers, weight, road surface, driving style, etc etc etc, and as mentioned roandabouts and sharp corners can be notorious for oil/diesel spills,

Lots of cars thesedays have undertrays fitted underneath the engine, any oil or fuel leaks are usually caught by the undertray, as soon as the car turns a sharp corner the whole lot spills out to one side.

And that is why it is a stupid idea to try and get your knee down round a bend on a motorbike on a public road!

Edited by old-school-tech on 29/05/2015 at 16:59

from 30MPH you managed to do a complete 360 degree spin?

I'm not sure I would be so quick to condemn the tyres, they might not be michelins, but khumo tyres are still bound to the same safety regulations, there are many other factors that determine how well your car holds the road, tyre pressures, shock absorbers, weight, road surface, driving style, etc etc etc, and as mentioned roandabouts and sharp corners can be notorious for oil/diesel spills,

Lots of cars thesedays have undertrays fitted underneath the engine, any oil or fuel leaks are usually caught by the undertray, as soon as the car turns a sharp corner the whole lot spills out to one side.

And that is why it is a stupid idea to try and get your knee down round a bend on a motorbike on a public road!

Many sensible comments OST. A month or so ago I had a skid going round a large roundabout, I wasn't pushing the car at all, so I assumed it was a diesel spill. But since then I've noticed odd handling, a sense of a slight skid on corners where I follow the car in front, and then today convinced me there is something wrong. The car went in to be checked after the first skid (the first skid in 3+ years of ownership of these car), since it needed a brake fluid change. They found nowt.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - Andrew-T

The road surface was moist, it'd been raining moderately for about half an hour, but nothing unduly wet.

I have zero confidence in these Kumho KH27 tyres, they are dangerous.

You may well be right about the Kumho tyres. But maybe it was raining after a couple of dry weeks, which may have contributed? On top of a diesel spill on a roundabout?

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - Happy Blue!

Not the first person to complain about Kumho tyres, but equally many people on here incuding me have used them without complaint and they are fitted as OEM onto many makes including Mercedes.

As with all manufacturers, they make good and bad models (just look at Which? test results for electronics), so whilst these tyres may be poor, the Ecstas(?) I used to use were excellent.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - gordonbennet

I think you're right to ditch the tyres before they ditch you Lief.

Whilst the tyre in question might be perfectly fine on a n other car they don't seem to suit yours, this applies to all makes, i found Pirelli P6000's superb on one of my Mercs yet they get slated by owners of other cars.

If i might make a suggestion, Tyreleader were promoting the new Uniroyal Rain Expert 3 recently at unbelievable prices (picked up a set of 4 for the family Aygo for £112 delivered, whether Rain Expert would come in your size i know not, if yours are low profile then they'll be Rainsport 3 instead, i have those on my Merc and they don't budge in the wet, might be worth a poke nose see whats about on that site anyhow.

Danger, beware low flying halos..:-)

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - skidpan

Today I was going round a roundabout, maybe 15 mph, cars behind quite distant, so I decided to turn a bit sharper than normal, to test the grip. Altghough it was a public road, I didn't think I was doing anything dangerous, just not as smooth as usual. Anyway, the rear wheels completely lost grip, and back end was freely sliding to the left. This time I was able to recover from the skid, by steering to the left, and regain control. The road surface was moist, it'd been raining moderately for about half an hour, but nothing unduly wet.

So you were testing your car deliberately trying to induce a skid on public roads. That is dangerous driving and should you be spotted by the law you will be suitably charged.

I have zero confidence in these Kumho KH27 tyres, they are dangerous. Straight line braking is fine, transverse grip is poor. Ever since they were fitted, a month ago, I've sensed a hard to define lack of grip when cornering, and today just confirms that suspicion.

So insead of accepting you are not a driving god you blame the tyres. We had Khumos on our Focus and they were fine, just as good as the Pirellis and Contis that preceeded them but much queiter.

Drive within the limits of the car and road conditions, no skids then.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - bazza

I think you've summed it up yourself- "I have zero confidence in these Kumho KH27 tyres, they are dangerous." You've experienced an adverse situation and because you have nothing to compare against you've quite rightly lost confidence in the tyres, as that's the logical reaction. If you had been able to do the same with another 5 different sets of tyres and the Kuhmos were worst you'd have some logical comparison but without that it's a "feeling" really. If it's any help I almost always fit Kumhos now and in what must be 50000 miles worth have had no nasty moments at all, they're exactly the same as other mainstream makes. i even had them fitted on an MX5, which is renowned for being a bit tail happy in the wet and even under deliberate welly-full of throttle on a roundabout, they didn't let go.

I wouldn't worry, but it might worth switching to another make psychologically, really.

I think you've summed it up yourself- "I have zero confidence in these Kumho KH27 tyres, they are dangerous." You've experienced an adverse situation and because you have nothing to compare against you've quite rightly lost confidence in the tyres, as that's the logical reaction. If you had been able to do the same with another 5 different sets of tyres and the Kuhmos were worst you'd have some logical comparison but without that it's a "feeling" really. If it's any help I almost always fit Kumhos now and in what must be 50000 miles worth have had no nasty moments at all, they're exactly the same as other mainstream makes. i even had them fitted on an MX5, which is renowned for being a bit tail happy in the wet and even under deliberate welly-full of throttle on a roundabout, they didn't let go.

Actually I do have something to compare them against having had the Hankook ECO tyres for 3 years, on the rear, and for 1.5 years on the front, followed by Continentals on the front.. So I think I can say for sure that the handling is poor.

And as someone else has mentioned, the brand might make some good tyres, and some less good ones. These are a budget choice, so not top of the range, or even middle of the range.

I wouldn't worry, but it might worth switching to another make psychologically, really.

I think that two skids in a month, with none in the previous 3 years, and the general sensation of something wrong when I corner does mean it might make sense to switch.

So you were testing your car deliberately trying to induce a skid on public roads. That is dangerous driving and should you be spotted by the law you will be suitably charged.

Nowhere did I say that I was "deliberately trying to induce a skid", quite the opposite. What I did quite clearly say was "I decided to turn a bit sharper than normal,". I wanted to see if it felt any different. I certainly was not 'pushing the envelope', or even pushing the car. What happened, which was completely unexpected, was a skid. From the video it does not even look as if I am doing anything other than smoothly following the car in front. I do wish people like you would learn to read, and not post such haughty nonsense, with imagined scenarios.

So insead of accepting you are not a driving god you blame the tyres. We had Khumos on our Focus and they were fine, just as good as the Pirellis and Contis that preceeded them but much queiter.

Drive within the limits of the car and road conditions, no skids then.

The above is complete nonsense.

I think you're right to ditch the tyres before they ditch you Lief.

Whilst the tyre in question might be perfectly fine on a n other car they don't seem to suit yours, this applies to all makes, i found Pirelli P6000's superb on one of my Mercs yet they get slated by owners of other cars.

If i might make a suggestion, Tyreleader were promoting the new Uniroyal Rain Expert 3 recently at unbelievable prices (picked up a set of 4 for the family Aygo for £112 delivered, whether Rain Expert would come in your size i know not, if yours are low profile then they'll be Rainsport 3 instead, i have those on my Merc and they don't budge in the wet, might be worth a poke nose see whats about on that site anyhow.

Danger, beware low flying halos..:-)

Thanks GB. Where do I send the halo polish? :)

Not the first person to complain about Kumho tyres, but equally many people on here incuding me have used them without complaint and they are fitted as OEM onto many makes including Mercedes.

As with all manufacturers, they make good and bad models (just look at Which? test results for electronics), so whilst these tyres may be poor, the Ecstas(?) I used to use were excellent.

A very good point HB, these are Kumho KH27, a budget tyre, fitted to a VW Up, not exactly a performance car, probably quite light at the rear.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - SteveLee

A very good point HB, these are Kumho KH27, a budget tyre, fitted to a VW Up, not exactly a performance car, probably quite light at the rear.

Kumho's are not budget tyres - Kumho's R&D budget and facilities are up there with anyone. They are keenly priced becasue they've got a Brand rep to build up - but are a premium type quality wise.

Kumho's are not budget tyres - Kumho's R&D budget and facilities are up there with anyone. They are keenly priced becasue they've got a Brand rep to build up - but are a premium type quality wise.

The Kumho KH27 is sold at a budget price and is described by some online sellers as a budget tyre. I take user reviews with a pinch of salt, but of three people here, 2 like them, 1 hates them for the same reasons as me i.e. no grip in the wet:

www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kumho/Ecowing-ES01-KH27...m

The road surface was moist, it'd been raining moderately for about half an hour, but nothing unduly wet.

I have zero confidence in these Kumho KH27 tyres, they are dangerous.

You may well be right about the Kumho tyres. But maybe it was raining after a couple of dry weeks, which may have contributed? On top of a diesel spill on a roundabout?

You might be right, but as stated earlier, this is not the first skid. It is the second skid in a month, with no skids at all in the previous 3 years. I am a fairly sedate driver, far from perfect, like most of us.

so I decided to turn a bit sharper than normal, to test the grip

If that quote doesn't read as trying to induce a failure of grip ie skid, then I don't know what does.

And please stop being a patronising moralist when you clearly cannot read. Thanks.

I can read, there is no need for an extra "g" in although.

All I did was use your own words so my being able to read has little to do with it. You said you turned "a bit sharper than normal" perhaps your normal turning is quite sharp enough.

I have for weeks sensed something is not right when cornering with these tyres.

So you suspected something was wrong, went out onto a public road and deliberately drove to test your suspicions and hey presto you skidded on a roundabout. Why turn sharper than normal if you suspected something was wrong? Wouldn't a better plan been to have sought expert advice?

Try fitting a large bore exhaust conversion, aftermarket LED bling and wear a reversed baseball cap. At least then other motorists might have an inkling that you're going to do something irrational.

Kumho and Hankook have been my choice of tyres for a long time and I've never had to question their road holding, but there again I tend to avoid pushing myself and my cars to an unpredictable, unknown limit.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - kerbed enthusiasm

Was going to comment, read through the thread again, lost all hope in humanity, decided that departure was long overdue.

Gordon Bennett's advice is heeded: I'm ducking out.

Was going to comment, read through the thread again, lost all hope in humanity, decided that departure was long overdue.

Gordon Bennett's advice is heeded: I'm ducking out.

People on this forum are usually quite decent, but my post seems to have brought out the worst in some people.

You could just apologise for having jumped to conclusions, and for giving me a good kicking.

As for your snide remarks, well, have a nice day.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - RobJP

You could just apologise for having jumped to conclusions, and for giving me a good kicking.

As for your snide remarks, well, have a nice day.

Yeah, but this is Ordo. He has history in spouting absolute utter dross. Avant has had to do a fair bit of ... pruning ... of his posts.

I'll ask, because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere : you have checked tyre pressures, and adjusted ? Also, if a car suddenly goes very poor in handling, getting a full alignment check might not be the worst idea. Are the tyres directional ? If mounted wrongly, that would also make a huge difference.

Looking online, those tyres seem to have a 'wet grip' rating of B or C, depending on size. Pretty good really, and the same or one category worse than the rating given to the Pirelli P zero's fitted to my BMW.

Yeah, but this is Ordo. He has history in spouting absolute utter dross. Avant has had to do a fair bit of ... pruning ... of his posts.

I don't actually recall any editing of my posts, I could be wrong. Perhaps the mods could enlighten me to what the "fair bit of .... pruning" has been?

Stop the search. I think the fair bit of pruning may have been those four words that may not be spoken, you know the ones I mean......

Edited by Ordovices on 30/05/2015 at 22:03

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - Avant

Once again, Ordovices, when you write something - especially on a public forum - THINK OF THE READER.

Leif - I'd still be inclined to suspect either a fuel spillage or the first rain after a few dry days as the cause of the skid, rather than the tyres, as my experience of Kumhos (on the Z3 I used to have) was very good. But I appreciate that to be on the safe side you'll want to change.

I used to drive a Jag XJ8 on Kumhos like I stole it - they were far, far better than the OE Pirellis - as I've stated earlier - Kumhos are not budget tyres - the company is huge - so are its R&D facilities - they are premium tyres for mid-range prices - purely becasue they do not have an established Brand presence.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - Engineer Andy

Once again, Ordovices, when you write something - especially on a public forum - THINK OF THE READER.

Leif - I'd still be inclined to suspect either a fuel spillage or the first rain after a few dry days as the cause of the skid, rather than the tyres, as my experience of Kumhos (on the Z3 I used to have) was very good. But I appreciate that to be on the safe side you'll want to change.

I would agree with that assessment, especially as the damp road conditions are similar to that of a skin pan (not as bad admitedly). I've driven my car (Mazda 3 mk1 1.6 petrol) with (in my view) poor Bridgsetone ER30s (last a long time, but poor wet grip and very noisy/rough ride), having a similar hairy moment on a wet roundabout off the Bedford bypass 3 years ago, whilst my current Dunlop SP Sport fastresponses are much better (not brilliant, but good and great value) in similar conditions.

I did drive another Mazda 3 mk1 once (a work pool car, around the same time as I had the incident on the Bridgestones) with Khumo tyres on and they felt fine, though admitedly this was in the dry. As far as I knew, no colleagues had any incidents with them in wet conditions. Maybe some tyre and car combinations just don't work well together.

Did you have the wheel alingment and tracking retested after the incident - they possibly could've been fitted incorrectly (they don't appear to be directional/asymmetrical tyres)? Anyway, if you're not comfortable with a set (as you said, it wasn't just one incident), then best to change them. Maybe you could sell them on Ebay - they may work fine on another make/model of car, just tell the truth if they ask why you're selling them.

Thanks Andy, you might be right about car tyre combinations. I have a small light car - a VW Up - which might not have much weight at the back. And perhaps these tyres do not have as much grip in the wet as others, and my car happens to lighlight that fact? The VW garage had a look at the tyres at my request after the first skid, since they were in the garage anyway. And they are quite happy to find faults, which they can fix. ;) I have checked, and each tyre has 'Outside' on the outside edge. They were a bit overinflated at the time of the first skid, so I adjusted the pressures to the VW recommendations, which did slightly improve handling, but it still feels a bit bouncey in corners.

I think I will have them replaced, but keep them. That is a good idea about ebay. Or I will use them to grow potatoes ... waste not want not.

I did, that's why I wrote it.

Leif - I'd still be inclined to suspect either a fuel spillage or the first rain after a few dry days as the cause of the skid, rather than the tyres, as my experience of Kumhos (on the Z3 I used to have) was very good.

As I said a few days ago, I would be surprised if light rainfall after a dry spell, on top of a slight spill on a roundabout (quite possible) was not the main cause here. The new tyres may well have helped (or not).

A similar thing happened to me last year while driving a familiar reverse curve in my normal manner - not too fast, nor too slow. The conditions were as just described, and I performed a 180° coming to rest against the Armco. Very unsettling.

I should have said "Avoid Kumho KH27 tyres", although I do make clear I have Kumho KH27 tyres on my car.

Here is a video of the skid:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdhTijcF6BM&feature=yo...e

You can see that I follow the car ahead at the same speed, and as I carry on round the roundabout, the back end moves to the left, and I steer to correct the skid. My steering was smooth up until the onset of the skid, which was completely unexpected, and unanticipated. If tyres cannot cope with a turn like this, then I don't want them.

Some people have said that this was due to a diesel spill. If so, why have I had two skids in less than a month, both on roundabouts in light rain, when I have had zero skids in 3 years with the previous tyres on the same car?

Leif, sorry just realised i spelled your name wrong in a previous post.

There is nothing at all wrong with your driving in that or the clip in the previous thread, if it was a fuel splill then the red Aldi would be struggling too.

What tyres are you running on the front of the car?, not suggesting you swap them round or you'll have the unenviable situation of ploughing straight on instead, but the front shows no signs of going it's own way.

You're made of stronger stuff than me, i order new tyres the second they don't perform, i certainly wouldn't still be driving on those things.

I've never bought the make concerned and won't be allowing any of my family to either.

Thanks GB. I have contacted the fitter. Kumho do not take direct emails, but say to contact the retailer. I agree that the cars ahead of me should have skidded too if there was a diesel spill.

I am used to various forms of my name! Not to wory, there are far more important things in this life.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - Manatee

Interesting thread.

Not that many years ago, it was very common and likely for any reasonably enthusiatic driver to experience a skid. Live axles, cross ply tyres, rear wheel drive, all played a part.

We al know that more care is needed in wet/slippy conditions, but it's pretty obvious that many people don't change their driving style at all in bad conditions - many will slow down, but there are still plenty of people who will continue at 85 in heavy rain on a motorway through standing water and impenetrable spray. They clearly give little thought to grip and take it for granted, and 99.999% of the time they will get away with it with no awareness of how near they might have been to a dangerous loss of adhesion.

One had to be careful with a car like the 2.0 Cortina with its massive 90bhp in the wet - getting on the accelerator too soon and too hard exiting a bend was as likely as not to slide the back end and drivers of the day knew not to do it.

I once did a 180 spin (accidentally) in a Datsun Bluebird while doing a U turn, on a slightly damp road, at probably no more than 15mph.

Why your front wheel drive VW Up! has started behaving badly is a mystery; but I suspect it is to do with the surface, the camber. the radius, and a little inadvertent provocation - either from a quick change of direction, or lift off, or both - as much as anything.

Were both of your skids on the same roundabout? Is there a bit of adverse camber? I imagine it has one of those torsion beam rear axles - if so the inside rear wheel will unload almost completely on the wrong camber leaving the outside tyre to do all the work - contrary to popular belief, back tyres are involved in cornering!

Did you replace all four tyres by the way, or just two?

Edited by Manatee on 30/05/2015 at 22:14

There is nothing at all wrong with your driving in that or the clip in the previous thread, if it was a fuel splill then the red Aldi would be struggling too.

That must be some sort of budget-price car? :-(

I'm sure it was a Lidl.
Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - Brit_in_Germany

The German ADAC didn't see any problems with these tyres.

www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/sommerreifen/...4

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - Manatee

Those are not especially good results, and interestingly there is a note to the effect that they are weaker than the best, in the wet.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - RobJP

I did, that's why I wrote it.

No, you wrote it because you're a bitter, twisted (probably) old man with few friends, who likes coming on here and being the big man.

Since I've been on these forums, which are generally full of really nice people, you've advocated poisoning cats with antifreeze (which Avant deleted all your posts of), been generally vicious to other posters, and now this thread - where, once again, Avant has seen fit to tell you to wind your neck in.

Now, either it's everyone else, got it in for you, or else the problem is slightly closer to home. If you take a long hard look in a mirror, then you just might find the source.

The only problem with that is you just might not like what you see ...

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - FP

With the greatest of respect, Rob, this isn't going to help.

Making personal statements about Ordovices, even if you think he deserves it, will only inflame things, give him the pretext and ammunition to respond (either in this or future posts) and encourage the sort of thing most of us would like to stop.

I have quite a few times in the past criticised unhelpful posts, wherever they came from, but it's always best to stick to facts and not make personal comments.

I didn't realise you were driving a VW UP Leif. It made me think more about your rear skid. I was brought up on a series of Minis, the real ones, Coopers, 1000s, 1275GT. At the time the works ones were serious rally cars. One of the techniques, which I often tried to copy foolishly was to invoke lift off oversteer, a sharp tweak of the steering and a sudden lift off of the throttle. In the right circumstances, like a wet roundabout, the back would go light, break away and a fwd Mini coould be made to oversteer instead of understeer. All due to weight transfer etc.

It just might be with the UP that a light body and narrow tyres you can create the same effect. I must try it when I get the chance!

You might be right. In my case there was no sharp tweak of the steering. I might have lifted off the throttle before the first.

If you do get to skid an Up, under safe conditions of course, please let me know. I daren't purposefully induce a skid on a public road, not being able to find a wide traffic and hazard free area. But I would be interested to know how it compares to other cars.
Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - corax
You might be right. In my case there was no sharp tweak of the steering. I might have lifted off the throttle before the first.

So you might have induced lift off oversteer. It seems to me that the speeds are pretty low, so it doesn't seem to have taken much effort to make the rear step out. A light car like the UP will be more prone to this, but that lack of grip in the video wouldn't fill me with confidence.

I have never experienced the rear stepping out on any of my front drive cars, but I'm of the 'enter slow then power out' school, so if I do slide it will be understeer which I loathe.

Oversteer on my rear wheel drive cars was much more natural feeling to me.

If it's not the greasy roundabout to blame or suspension (are all the mountings tight) then change the tyres.

GB's recommendation of Uniroyal Rain Experts is a good one. I've had them - superb drip in the wet, and not bad in the snow for a summer tyre.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - Engineer Andy

Lift-off oversteer was what happened to me with my old Bridgestones on my Mazda3 mk1 - in almost the same circumstances/conditions, but of course my tyres were 6 years old and likely quite hard (hence the droning noise I often experienced). The back stepped out (I was lucky it wasn't as bad as Leif's first incident - more like the second, as I was on a very busy multi-laned roundabout with traffic lights on it - anything like Leif's first incident and I would've side swiped the car to my left or worse.

It would be interesting to see if other Up! drivers or KH27 users have experienced problems - the tyre doesn't exactly get the best reviews/test results (seems to indicate poor wet performance in my view) on tyrereviews.co.uk:

www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kumho/Ecowing-ES01-KH27...m

Edited by Engineer Andy on 01/06/2015 at 20:49

Thanks Andy. I contacted the supplier, and Kumho have asked for the tyres back, after seeing the two videos. Presumably they wish to carry out some tests. Perhaps they do not think I am to blame, as some here do.

Anyone got sensible suggestions about how to deal with this? This might sound odd, but I was going to hang on to them and use them as potato planters.

Update: The supplier has said call in, and they will replace the tyres, and I pay the difference for the new set. That sounds more than reasonable to me. The tyres will be sent to Kumho for examination.

Well said, it's about time he was taken to task for name calling, he's got previous you know :D Very playgroundish behaviour.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - FP

"Very playgroundish behaviour."

A bit rich, coming from you.

Hi Leif I just watched the vid of your skid--nice catch! well you definitely have oversteer there, (!) I do suspect you lifted off and the tail snapped out. I must admit that is unusual behaviour from a modern car, most are designed not to do that, in fact the opposite, mild understeer and a much more gentle tightening of line when you lift off. That roundabout looks a bit greasy to me, as a biker, we are always looking out for anything shiny or polished as "bad".It could be that you encountered a slippery patch but I still wouldn't expect what happened there. I might just be tempted to swap those back tyres for Rain Experts to try and reduce that tendency--- I don't know if all UPs handle like that but yours seems a bit twitchy in that clip.

Thanks Bazza. Twitchy is a good description. I have felt twitchiness ever since I got the new tyres. I have posted on the Up owners forum, and no-one seems to have experienced similar behaviour.

I checked the tyre pressures at a garage today, albeit with warm tyres, and the presure were a little higher than recommended, presumably du to the heat. So my pump which was originall used to inflate them seems to be accurate.
Thanks Bazza. Twitchy is a good description. I have felt twitchiness ever since I got the new tyres. I have posted on the Up owners forum, and no-one seems to have experienced similar behaviour. I checked the tyre pressures at a garage today, albeit with warm tyres, and the presure were a little higher than recommended, presumably du to the heat. So my pump which was originall used to inflate them seems to be accurate.

So you've already said in the past the rear tyres were 15% over inflated, and yet after adjusting them they are STILL over inflated - call me obnoxious again if you like but I think you have lift off oversteer due to over-inflated rear tyres as I said in the first place. The Up! is an unsophisticated car (suspension wise) with a very short wheelbase and a very light rear end - it wouldn't take much to unsetle it.

The only way to accuratly set tyre pressure is to do the "chalk test" - google it.

Most DIY inflator and forecourt pressure gauges are inaccurate - buy a simple pencil type tyre pressure gauge - they are invariably the most accurate.

A friend of mine was having trouble after fitting new tyres to his bike I did less than 50 yards on it and could feel straight away the tyres were massively overinflated. He put 3.3 bar in instead of 33 psi.

Finally have you had a four wheel alignment check done since the tyres were fitted? Has anyone kerbed the car? It's not unknown for VW wishbones to bend easily - they are designed that way to avoid transfering light crash damage to the suspension mounting points.

I wil explain this slowly again in the hope that you understand. After the first skid the tyres were found to be slightly over inflated, higher than the light load recommended vales, but lower than the max. I adjusted them using the VW electric pump. The tyres were cold. Yesterday I checked the tyres with a garage pump. They were maybe 1-2 PSI over, it was hard to tell. But they were warm, which increases the pressure. So the results were consistent with havong set the correct pressure when cold. I wanted to ensure that my electric pump was accurate, and I think it is, at least to about 1 PSI at a rough guess. After the second pressure check the tyres still feel twitchy.

And as explained before, after the first skid I let the VW garage know what happened before it went in and asked them to check it. They put it on the ramp and found damage to a heat shield, but nothing else.

The garage have not suggested over inflated tyres, nor did the supplier. And I find it hard to believe a few PSI could cause dangerous tyres or lots of Ups would be crashing.

Your own words from the UP forum:- "I checked the tyres. Front were 30 and 35, 29 recommended, back were 30 and 30, 26 recommended."

The tyres were very over-inflated - 4psi doesn't sound like much but in percentage terms it's plenty - 4 psi in a tyre that has a max of 26 isn't just "slightly" over-inflated. Some tyres (footprint wise) can be mishaped more easily than others due to over-inflation. The "bouncy" ride you descibe also points to over-inflated tyres.

As for tyre suppliers, I had my local national outfit trying to convince me to put the new tyres on the front of the misses's C3 "because it's front wheel drive" shows how much the average tyre monkey knows about anything.

You obviously haven't read what I wrote, both here and there.
Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - Avant

Let's stick to the issue, which is an interesting one and which hopefully will be resolved if Kumho come back to you, Leif, or the tyre dealer. I'm sure you'll let us know if there's any news.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - Steveieb

Today I bought a pair of Kuhmo ECSTA HS 51 s for my BMW 530.

My usual tyre dealer who I have used for many years advised me to fit these new tyres which could be the relacement for the ones mentioned in the thread.

Perhaps Kuhmo have reacted to the adverse comments and introduced a new tread pattern. The HS vrints are the same price as the V versions.

Has anyone had any experience of these new variants?

The OP Check the tyre preasure at a garage. That's not a good check. I have a Michelin programmable gauge which I always use to validate proessures. I have always found when using garage air pumps large variations, often 10-20% out.

The OP Check the tyre preasure at a garage. That's not a good check. I have a Michelin programmable gauge which I always use to validate proessures. I have always found when using garage air pumps large variations, often 10-20% out.

As stated, in one or other thread, tyres were checked with my own VW supplied pump and with the garage pump. They were in good agreement, allowing for an extra 1-2 PSI when the tyres were warm/hot.

However, given that my tyres were within the recommended values by VW (unloaded and loaded), I struggle to believe that a decent tyre should become dangerous at these pressures. After all, many people will surely pump up tyres to the loaded value, as they often carry loads, but do not let down the tyres when travelling alone.Also most people will not use super duper gauges, but the pumps in garages and at home. Were 4 PSI extra to be dangerous, the roads would be littered with crashed cars.

I think this is a combination of a greasy roundabouts, a tyre with not so good wet grip (as confirmed by various tests cited online) and a light car. Whether or not there is variation between batches of tyre, or a fault in the ones I have, I have no idea at all. I also have no idea if there is a fault with the car, but the springs are not bouncey, and the steering is straight when I take my hands off the wheel (suggesting tracking is okay).

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - Ethan Edwards

I have a couple of Kumho Ecstas on my Yaris HSD. Done several thousand miles on them in all sorts of weather and never had any issues whatsoever. Personally I would wholeheartedly recommend them. Similarly I too over inflate but less than 10% so maybe that's the problem the op had.

An overinflated tyre will run cooler - a tyre running below its optimum temperature will grip less and may potentially wear quicker (particularly at high speeds as the tyre "slip ratio" will increase.) so the 0.something mpg increase you are getting thanks to reduced rolling resistance will be eaten up by increased tyre wear - not to mention the increased stopping distances and reduced cornering grip which may cost you rather more than a few pence at the pumps.

Learning how to drive properly (ie anticipating the road ahead and not braking unneccesarily) will save you more money than over-inflating your tyres ever could (if it did at all.)

Edited by SteveLee on 05/06/2015 at 17:30

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - HandCart

I trust that was just well-intentioned information for all of us, because the OP didn't say he had overinflated the tyres deliberately.

After the episode, he found them to be overinflated - a bit.

Personally, I don't think 4 psi is drastic enough to be THE cause of the car letting go at that speed.

As has been said, how many people are running around with exactly the right tyre pressures on all 4 tyres anyway on any given morning? We know the gauges on forecourt airlines aren't likely to be very trustworthy, but what is? How many people go out and buy a pressure gauge that has a calibration certificate? Along with a similarly-calibrated thermometer?
People would be falling off the road right left and centre if 2 or 3 psi either way bred such dramatic results.

I'd have liked to have known how the car would have behaved with the rear tyres put on the front and the fronts on the rear - that might have soon shown up if those tyres were faulty-manufacture.

I'd have liked to have known how the car would have behaved with the rear tyres put on the front and the fronts on the rear - that might have soon shown up if those tyres were faulty-manufacture.

Agreed, i too would have liked to experiment with the tyres in question swapped to the front, but not on public roads as chronic understeer i find the most dangerous of all slide situations.

The OP didn't overinflate his own tyres, he put his trust in the fitters to set them correctly, which they did but for full load/high speed pressure which is quite normal at fitting shops for some reason.

Lost control on roundabout, part ducks, Kumho tyre - HandCart

Interesting you don't like chronic understeer GB, seeing as the advice these days is always to fit the newest/best tyres on the rear, because generally people just lift off the gas when encountering understeer but even skilled drivers can get caught out by oversteer (as in this very thread).

Come to think of it, in the 60s/70s wasn't it the rule that crossplies always had to go on the front if you did happen to mix them with radials?

Interesting you don't like chronic understeer GB, seeing as the advice these days is always to fit the newest/best tyres on the rear, because generally people just lift off the gas when encountering understeer but even skilled drivers can get caught out by oversteer (as in this very thread).

This thread just shows how wrong that one size fits all regardless advice is, the new tyres went on the back of Leif's car...arguably they should have gone straight to the recycling plant instead, which ironically is exactly where they are going by the sounds of it.

Thank you HandCart, very clear and to the point.
Coming home this evening, a warm day with warm roads, tyres warm, going around the same roundabout where I had the first skid, I could feel the tyres sliding. I was following the new Toyota city car, which showed no sign of a skid. I was not speeding or cornering sharply. Also the front tyres on several occasions felt as if they were flexing during turns.

I've done some reading, and a few people have had similar experiences with cheaper tyres, a feeling that the sidewalls flex more. And yet many highly rate the same tyres. It may well be influenced by the tyre size, and the vehicle weight. But I'm just guessing.

There's something wrong leif! To get any car to start sliding on a dry road with warm tyres you'd have to travelling at silly race/rally speeds! Modern cars and tyres have enormous reserves of grip. There's a rural roundabout near me which is comfortable at 30 to 35, feels a bit quick at 40 and can be taken at 50mph in our standard 1.6 Focus in the dry, probably more but beyond my skills. All of this drama free and nowhere near grip limits--- on Hankook Ecos by the way! I would get those tyres changed, simply to see if the handling improves, as we are all fascinated to know! They are the right size fitted on the rims aren't they? Just a thought, as the flexing feeling might be explained by that.

Hello bazza, I agree, something was wrong. They were the right size. I will inform VW. New thread started with an update!