golf doorlocks - Michael
It came up in conversation yesterday that current vw golf's are easy to break into by levering the barrel out of the door handle with a screw driver. This person claims to have seen "loads" of golfs in car parks with damaged locks. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this rumour?
Re: golf doorlocks - Robin Hall
I don't know about Golfs but thats how you get in a Vectra. Mine was done this way and the body shop kept Vectra lock barrels in stock as it was such regular work. It didn't seem to need much effort as there was little damage around the lock itself
Re: golf doorlocks - Tim Allcott
There has been an earlier discussion thread on this ; apparently it's not just Golfs, and has been corrected for current model year. Reportedly, getting in this way doesn't trigger the alarm
Re: golf doorlocks - Mick Welch
The older models of Golfs, Passats etc were all dead easy to break into with a screwdriver underneath the door handle, so much so that a Plate was made availible to repair this damage and to make the car secure.

The latest problem with current models is that the lock barrel can easily be forced out with a screwdriver and entry gained to the car, without setting off the alarm.

The answer is never to leave anything valuable on show in the car.
Re: golf doorlocks - Ben Chapman
If you own a mk.2 golf etc, dont forget to put plates on the back doors. I see many five door golfs and Jetta which have amoured door plates on the front doors only. The rear doors are just as easy to brake into. Euro Car Parts sells them for £8.55 plus vat per pair i believe- but they are not the best quality, and require the door to be filed to get them to fit properly. Additionaly they can cause very slight disfiguration of the door, even when fitted properly. The panel surrounding the plate is depressed slightly.
VAG sell better ones, but they are very expensive. I belive Volkspares sells the same parts at a more reasonable price.

Ben
Re: golf doorlocks - honestjohn
That's right. The door lock pops out and the door can then be opened with the same screwdriver. Later cars have a differently triggered alarm system which needs the remote to disarm it so arrarently they are not so vulnerable.

HJ
Re: golf doorlocks - Phil Goodacre
They ought to adopt Citroens approach. My wifes ZX has withstood several attacks to the door lock which refuses to budge at all. O.k. so the door skin is damaged and the w*****s then resort to smashing the door glass. Behind the door skin and holding the lock in place is this stonking great big thick piece of steel which acts partly as a shield to screwdriver attack through the skin. Never ceases to amaze me that manufacturers sell you a motor for fifteen grand and put five quid locks on it.
Re: golf doorlocks - Mick Welch
Fortunately for Citroen Owners - nobody wants to nick them - OOOH here we go !