Bmw compact - Bmw 318 vs 325 (n42 vs m54) - Aaronmaher47

Hi guys, First post here, I'm thinking of buying a BMW compact over the next few days however I've been doing a little research on both the 2.0 and 2.5 engines and I could do with some advice from some enthusiasts.

The dilemma is that the 2.0 engine is the n54 and can develop problems with the chain tensioner and jumping teeth which can be costly and fatal for the engine.

I'm not so sure on the issues the m54 could develop. From reading online people say the m54 is bulletproof which is good for me because I'm looking for reliability over speed.

my current car is a 100bhp rusty ford so either car is better for me but I would like to keep it for several years so reliability is a must.

Running Cost wise both the 2.0 and 2.5 are similar on insurance and fuel economy. Obviously the 2.5 will cost more but not a great deal.

So Can someone advise me on which to get? I've decided on a bmw so no comments telling me to get something else.

Thank you.

Bmw compact - Bmw 318 vs 325 (n42 vs m54) - elekie&a/c doctor

The 6 cylinder engine is far superior in all respects and certainly more reliable.Very little difference in fuel economy.

Bmw compact - Bmw 318 vs 325 (n42 vs m54) - 72 dudes

The 6 cylinder engine is far superior in all respects and certainly more reliable.Very little difference in fuel economy.

I would second that opinion. If you're getting a BMW, it would rude not to get a 6 cylinder!

Bmw compact - Bmw 318 vs 325 (n42 vs m54) - RobJP

I'll just add that for the BMW 3 series compact, all of these are now a decade old (at least). As such, how the car has been serviced and looked after will have far greater importance than the fragility (supposed or otherwise) of one engine type compared to another.

Oh, and I'd also say to get the 6 pot. That engine noise ... oh my !

Bmw compact - Bmw 318 vs 325 (n42 vs m54) - Engineer Andy

The facelift 325 is a nice car (my neighbour's got an auto one and it still looks good for a 13 yo car), but a word of caution for (possibly) the novice RWD driver - I don't think it comes with traction or stability control, so be careful in slippy conditions - quite often my neighbour couldn't get any traction on a tiny upslope in snowy/icy conditions (often better to back it out and maybe with something heavy in the boot to help traction) when bog-standard FWD cars like mine work fine.

Other than that and the other comments, just keep it well oiled and don't scrimp on the servicing (if you can find an good independent BMW garage, all the better) if you intend to keep it a long time.

Bmw compact - Bmw 318 vs 325 (n42 vs m54) - slkfanboy

All BMW of approx ten years old will have of course have traction control systems and very good systems at that. In fact you will hardy notice that it is RWD. Ice and snow can be tricky in a car with Run flat tyres/RWD, but all I can say is when I had my 320D i helped a FWD driver by towing him when he got stuck!

Bmw compact - Bmw 318 vs 325 (n42 vs m54) - catsdad
My 2002 318 (saloon) had the full range of electronic handling aids. On the one occasion it encountered serious snow on a 400 yard steady slope it did get up but the dashboard was lit like the proverbial Christmas tree at the end of it. It took a mile of running on non snowed roads the next day to get them all out and reset. Back to the compact it was bit of a poor relation to the saloon with more basic spec and cabin materials. I wonder if it was as well built overall?
Bmw compact - Bmw 318 vs 325 (n42 vs m54) - gordonbennet

Don't run away with the idea that traction control means a BMW can be thrown around with gay abandon regardless.

Tyres are an important choice, i had the family Compact in a couple of serious but controllable unprovoked damp road oversteers despite the car having TC as standard, that saw the Sumitomo tyres the owner had fitted to the rear removed anmd binned, i suspect teh Compact is lighter at the rear than the saloon/coupe/estate and more tail happy.

It was a well maintained 320 Diesel on a 51 plate, it was fairly reliable following the usual new turbo at 45k, had the swirl flaps removed to stop these being injested (read up on this), but the top end started rumbling @ around 120k so it was outed.

check the rear wiper works, its an expensive repair, spindle gets rusty then seizes and chews up the nylon gears.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/05/2015 at 15:08

Bmw compact - Bmw 318 vs 325 (n42 vs m54) - Engineer Andy

Must be down to a combination of driving style and tyre choice then - I must admit my neighbour did appear to use the 'Clarkson' method of giving it more and more gas (in the end, the rear wheels were spinning like a washing machine drum on the spin cycle and the car moving forward at less than 1mph!!).

I do remember HJ saying that TC/SC not really helping in snow and ice. I just thought their car (actually a 51 plate if that makes any difference - still a 'mk2' compact though) didn't have any driving aids to help reduce such problems given my neighbour's issues and the age of the car.

Bmw compact - Bmw 318 vs 325 (n42 vs m54) - gordonbennet

TC whatever it's called is counter productive when trying to get a stuck vehicle moving in snow mud or ice and should be turned off.

Soon as the vehicle detects the slightest slip in a drive tyre it will cut the power.

Not to be confused with traction systems such as found on some high tech 4x4's, which ensure drive is going to wheels with grip...i have no idea which 2WD cars have such systems, hopefully one of our posters will enlighten us.

Bmw compact - Bmw 318 vs 325 (n42 vs m54) - slkfanboy

>Soon as the vehicle detects the slightest slip in a drive tyre it will cut the power.

Unless totally stuck is that the required action to remove excessive wheel spin and the power is reduced not cut. So unless you need to rock the car out of deep snow leave all on is the safest option. Most modern cars electonics seam to do a pritty good job with a light foot and no very light & careful breaking.

Winter tyres turn most cars even BMWs in near 4x4s, but we simply dont down south get enough snow/ice to make it worth while