Converting 12V compressor to 240V? - Happy Blue!

If i want to use my 12V tyre compressor in an apartment to pump up bicycle tyres how do/can I convert to 240V AC? All help or advice gratefully received. ...

Converting 12V compressor to 240V? - bazza

Yes, you just need a 240v to 12v transformer. There are loads on e bay/amazon etc, with the cigarette type adaptor on ready for you. Just get a decent one with the correct current rating, there should be a plate on the compressor telling you wattage/input current etc. I would be tempted to pay a little more for one from a reputable supplier.

Converting 12V compressor to 240V? - S40 Man

Or just buy a bike hand pump?

Converting 12V compressor to 240V? - Aakriti

Hey friend their is a requirment of 240v to 12v transformer. With the help of transformer it will be possible to convert 12V compressor to 240V.

Converting 12V compressor to 240V? - mark999

Buy something like a Clarke jump start battery booster. There will be a 12v socket that you can run the compressor off. The booster can then be recharged by mains 240v.

Converting 12V compressor to 240V? - gordonbennet

Yes, starter booster pack is ideal, but you could just as easily use a car battery (or leisure battery from caravan) and make up a cigarette lighter female socket with crocodile clips.

The reason for the question is that the apartment is overseas and I want to buy the compressor in the UK so I know the quality of what I am buying and also need to pump up the tyres from flat, as they go flat in the times between visits. So a booster pack is difficult and and heavy to transport and as I want to take hand luggage only, a small compressor plus a small transformer is probably what I want.

In the UK, I would probably go down the booster pack idea. Thanks all..

Converting 12V compressor to 240V? - Bromptonaut

One of these?

www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/camping-caravanni...r

Thanks. I was searching the Halfords site and found a rechargeable tyre compressor which can be charged via 240V or 12V but is almost £55. Buying a simple 12v compressor and that accessory for £15 makes more sense.

Or

www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-joe-blow-sport-ii-track-pu.../

Not certain it would fit in a case acceptable to Easyjet for hand luggage! Besides, how much effort would it take to pump up a car tyre??

Not certain it would fit in a case acceptable to Easyjet for hand luggage! Besides, how much effort would it take to pump up a car tyre??

It's not meant for that but your OP was about bike tyres. My similar model wil put 100psi+ in the Brompton's tyres with just a bit of effort and is no sweat at all getting MTB tyres to the usual 55/60.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 13/05/2015 at 22:01

Useful to know. Thanks

Converting 12V compressor to 240V? - Hamsafar

This is what I do at work when our trollies get flat tyres...

If you have a cordless drill between 9.6 - 16v (ideally 12v or 14.4v) you can use the battery off that.

Charge it up and remove from drill and then unscrew the endcap on the cigar lighter plug and hold the side-spring of the cigar lighter plug on the battery's -ve and the centre pin on +ve.

Edited by Hamsafar on 14/05/2015 at 14:31